Dingleberry or stone block

-
2 different tools. The stone hone can remove material if you use it right. It can also provide a crosshatch if done properly. The stone or bead hone just provides a crosshatch. Boring bar, rigid hone, stone hone in that order.

View attachment 1715601949

Sunnen AN Hone. What are you trying to do? Dingle berry hone you might as well use some WD-40 and 320 wet or dry sandpaper. They are to just break the glaze on the cylinder.

P1010006.JPG

P1010009.JPG

I’m a dingleberry hone guy myself but I had a 408 around 7-8 years ago that was on its 3rd rebuild. When I started honing it I couldn’t believe my eyes. This block was bad, real bad. I grabbed my stone hone and wore it out. I grabbed two new sets of stones and wore another set out and half way through another set. It was to close to race season to send it out to get it done right and even if I did honestly it needed bored. I finished it off with my dingleberry hone, washed it up, and put it together. I ran it for two years and my son ran it for 1.5 years. 9.74 in my car and 10.08 in my sons Duster.

well you either have to bore it and new pistons
or if that's not in the budget ridged hone till it cleans up then a few strokes with a fine flexhone
knuel the non thrust sides of the pistons
and run it
if you can find a shop with a seat cutter that do a muti angle valve job then all you have to do is hand blend the bottom cut
the cutter takes the place of all that grinding
on bronze or steel guides I knurl and then ream and/or hone even new ones to hold some oil

I’m a dingleberry hone guy myself but I had a 408 around 7-8 years ago that was on its 3rd rebuild. When I started honing it I couldn’t believe my eyes. This block was bad, real bad. I grabbed my stone hone and wore it out. I grabbed two new sets of stones and wore another set out and half way through another set. It was to close to race season to send it out to get it done right and even if I did honestly it needed bored. I finished it off with my dingleberry hone, washed it up, and put it together. I ran it for two years and my son ran it for 1.5 years. 9.74 in my car and 10.08 in my sons Duster.

I don't care WHAT the experts say, a loose motor always runs good. If you just resign yourself to the fact that it won't last like one done dead right, you're good. Sounds like yours lasted a while though. lol Yall must have filed the rings right.

I don't care WHAT the experts say, a loose motor always runs good. If you just resign yourself to the fact that it won't last like one done dead right, you're good. Sounds like yours lasted a while though. lol Yall must have filed the rings right.

There’s that old saying...if it’s loose, only you will know, if it’s tight, everyone will know.

And it’s true.

For me, if you need to fix the shape of the bore, down and dirty, you can use the hand/drill stone. Higher level of build, probably have it professionally honed. If you just need to renew the surface profile. Dingleberry.

-
Back