Dip stick length

-

easyrider

65 droptop
Reaction score
I've ask this before, but never got an answer. Thought I'd ask again. Maybe a different set of eyes will see it.
I have a 1965 dart with a 904 transmission. The dip stick is not the correct one. I'm not sure it is measuring correctly. Does anyone know how long the dipstick should be from the top of the tube?
easyrider

The easiest way to replace it is to drain the oil, put the dry dipstick in, then fill the oil up to the recommended amount. Pull the dipstick and mark it with a scribe. I made a couple marks with a dremel. I still use that dipstick.

As far as proper length from the factory, I can't answer that.

I have one from a 66 904 if you need the measurement still.

Trans, "check idling hot in neutral" is a puzzle. Best solution has to be a matched set, tube and stick.

I agree with WoodenNickle. I do both the transmission and engine oil with every new build or purchase. Only takes a few minutes and a couple dollars worth of fluids. Like you weren't going to change them anyway. Then you know for sure exactly what you have for real.

So, With the TQ full, How many qts. does the 904 hold with a stock pan?
easyrider

The answer is in every single shop manual every printed. You can download them free from MyMopar

I'm not trynna be mean, I just don't feel like looking it up

My 1963 Shop Manual says 14 pts. Don't know if a 65 is different.
Ok, so I cranked the car, put it in neutral and let it idle for a few minutes. Drained the fluid and put 5 new qts. in it. cranked it and drove it down the street. came back and checked it. 4-1/2" up the dip stick. that's 2" above the full mark. What to do now?
easyrider

I'll piggy back my question on dip stick length on this thread. I've got a 67 a727 that I know the tube is correct, but not so sure if the dipstick is or not. Reason I'm unsure is that as installed the tip does not extend out of the tube, which means the fluid level would have to be about an inch above the pan/case gasket to get a reading on the dipstick. I just did a filter and fluid change on a 78 Magnum w/999 trans and the dipstick hung down by maybe 3/4" or so into pan. So any dipstick and tube gurus here know how much the dipstick should extend out of the tube if at all?

IMG_20170505_110120.jpg

IMG_20170505_110153.jpg

12many, I hope you get an answer. As you can see, there aren't many gurus posting on this subject.
easyrider
I did an extensive search elsewhere and found enough posts by a few that said the fluid comes up the tube by about a 1/2" or so, the level being above the pan gasket so that's good enough for me. I am now a dipstick guru!!

-
Back