Dipshit Fuel Line Question

-

RustyRatRod

I was born on a Monday. Not last Monday.
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Are the fuel lines from early to late A bodies the same shape? Say from 63-70 before all the hoorah EPA crap? I love bending my own hard line, but from the tank to the pump is a little long. ....and what about the vapor return? Is there one that will bolt on and work for a 64 Valiant for a solid fuel return? I'm going to rework Vixen's fuel system. Thank you drive through.

Don't know the answer but, I have a brand new line for my 70 Duster that if I'm not able to straighten out the tittle, I'll be selling. That and a bunch of other new parts I bought for it like brakes , suspension and other parts.

Don't know the answer but, I have a brand new line for my 70 Duster that if I'm not able to straighten out the tittle, I'll be selling. That and a bunch of other new parts I bought for it like brakes , suspension and other parts.
I think the lines would be the same if the cars are the same wheelbase. I don't know for sure if they are. Is it 3/8 or 5/16?

I don't think they're the same. Checkout Inline Tube Co.
Man, I hand bent Every line ( fuel, brakes, and trans ) on my 66 sat. Got the fittings from them. What a pain. Bought 3/8 aluminum coil for the Dusters main fuel line . There is one bend that was tricky. I had inline send me a steel one after that trip.... ugh

Man, I hand bent Every line ( fuel, brakes, and trans ) on my 66 sat. Got the fittings from them. What a pain. Bought 3/8 aluminum coil for the Dusters main fuel line . There is one bend that was tricky. I had inline send me a steel one after that trip.... ugh
This may be what I end up doing. I can remove the stock line and use it for a pattern for the 3/8 supply and 1/4 return I plan to add.

This may be what I end up doing. I can remove the stock line and use it for a pattern for the 3/8 supply and 1/4 return I plan to add.
Why the return? If you are changing over to FI you will have better pressure control by using the same size line for delivery and return.

Why the return? If you are changing over to FI you will have better pressure control by using the same size line for delivery and return.
Simply because I prefer a return system. Nope, staying with a carburetor. I'm going to use the old school filter with an orificed return.

No it is a stock 5/16”.
Ok, thanks Roy. I have a sender with the 3/8 supply and 1/4 return I am wanting to utilize. I'm sure the 3/8 is overkill, bit I have the part and want a return, so I'm gonna use it.

I had the same situation, going with a carb on the 69 Dart and I wanted a vapor return line. I got the pre-bent 5/16" line from In Line Tube (great folks, BTW). There were way too many intricate bends for me to feel like messing with making my own, and the price was quite reasonable. I got a roll of 1/4" for the return line and bent that to roughly match the supply line. I drilled a hole in the t-bar crossmember to pass it through, and then just zip tied the return line to the supply line.

I still have the old factory supply line if you want it to see if it is the same as your 64.

DSCN0571.JPG

Are the fuel lines from early to late A bodies the same shape? Say from 63-70 before all the hoorah EPA crap? I love bending my own hard line, but from the tank to the pump is a little long. ....and what about the vapor return? Is there one that will bolt on and work for a 64 Valiant for a solid fuel return? I'm going to rework Vixen's fuel system. Thank you drive through.

no worries mate , youuu can doooo it !

not gettin here , already there !
Chit I know I am. lol I was just tellin Kitty how sore I am from workin on my friend's Chevy truck. I had to yank the motor and trans OUT after all the work I did to get it running. A freeze plug was rusted out in the back of the block. It never ceases to amaze me what lengths people go to to "cut corners". ....and the thing is, a brass freeze plug kit costs the same as steel! Dumbasses!

Chit I know I am. lol I was just tellin Kitty how sore I am from workin on my friend's Chevy truck. I had to yank the motor and trans OUT after all the work I did to get it running. A freeze plug was rusted out in the back of the block. It never ceases to amaze me what lengths people go to to "cut corners". ....and the thing is, a brass freeze plug kit costs the same as steel! Dumbasses!

was refering to me , already there. agree on the freeze plugs, when I had my block done , he put in steel plugs , pissed me off when I noticed it at home , so far so good ----fingurs crossed

was refering to me , already there. agree on the freeze plugs, when I had my block done , he put in steel plugs , pissed me off when I noticed it at home , so far so good ----fingurs crossed
They won't last. Sorry.

Ok, thanks Roy. I have a sender with the 3/8 supply and 1/4 return I am wanting to utilize. I'm sure the 3/8 is overkill, bit I have the part and want a return, so I'm gonna use it.
I bought a 3/8 for my 66. It's there if I would ever need bigger/more with plenty of flow. I think it was Inline tube if I remember correctly. Hell, that was 10 years ago. I can't remember what I did yesterday. LOL

Think of it this way. If the lines were the same through the years Inline would only have 1 part number for all the years! LOL

I bought a 3/8 for my 66. It's there if I would ever need bigger/more with plenty of flow. I think it was Inline tube if I remember correctly. Hell, that was 10 years ago. I can't remember what I did yesterday. LOL

Think of it this way. If the lines were the same through the years Inline would only have 1 part number for all the years! LOL
Yeah, I know they're different. I just don't know what's different from what. Make sense?

Yeah, I know they're different. I just don't know what's different from what. Make sense?
Yep makes sense and I bet they are similar. Look closely at the line halfafish posted above the factory and replacement lines really do a nice job of following the contours and tucking out of the way.

Yep makes sense and I bet they are similar. Look closely at the line halfafish pusted above the factory and replacement lines really do a nice job of following the contours and tucking out of the way.
What I may do is get aluminum bulk line and bend it up. I'm not a big fan of aluminum line, but as long as I take my time and mount it very good, it'll be fine. All the mistakes I've seen with it come from people not putting enough brackets on it to secure it properly and it flexes and breaks over time. We'll see. I probably won't be able to bring myself to get anything but steel when the time comes. LOL

What I may do is get aluminum bulk line and bend it up. I'm not a big fan of aluminum line, but as long as I take my time and mount it very good, it'll be fine. All the mistakes I've seen with it come from people not putting enough brackets on it to secure it properly and it flexes and breaks over time. We'll see. I probably won't be able to bring myself to get anything but steel when the time comes. LOL
You might be better off with steel. I can't seem to bend aluminum without kinking. LOL

I had the same situation, going with a carb on the 69 Dart and I wanted a vapor return line. I got the pre-bent 5/16" line from In Line Tube (great folks, BTW). There were way too many intricate bends for me to feel like messing with making my own, and the price was quite reasonable. I got a roll of 1/4" for the return line and bent that to roughly match the supply line. I drilled a hole in the t-bar crossmember to pass it through, and then just zip tied the return line to the supply line.

I still have the old factory supply line if you want it to see if it is the same as your 64.

View attachment 1715792700
I made the fuel lines for the 68 Barracuda from annealed stainless from Summitt. I have MPFI so it has a 3/8 delivery and return lines. I also drilled an extra hole at the torsion bar mount so both lines run through that mount. I made a separate section about a foot long where they pass through the TB mount with AN fittings on each end, that way if I ever need to do any service in that area I will not need to remove the entire fuel line.
The fuel lines I made are much straighter than the OE version. I have subframe connectors and the deliver and return lines are mounted to the frame ends and subframe connectors. At the rear axel there is a sweeping bend up that follows the rear frame section to just above the rear axel. From that to connect to the fuel tank I used stainless wrapped flex line, with the Teflon inner liner to make it ethanol comparable. All with AN fittings. The front section is similar. The last couple of feet with several bends is all stainless flex hose Teflon lined. Using flex hose at each end minimized the number of intricate bends that I had to make using the stainless tubing.

-
Back