Dipstick anomaly

-

synchro66

Reaction score
I have a chrome dress up after market dipstick on my 360SB dipstick reads FULL (cold) but i drained the oilpan and only have 3 litres in it?? any ideas??

No idea since I don't know a liter from an asshole. Talk to me in quarts like the engine came with and I might can help.

Easy peasy.
Park on level ground.
Put in the amount of oil the engine is supposed to be filled with, with the filter.
Run it for a few min to make sure the filter gets full.
Shut it off and wait 5 min so the oil up top drains back into the pan.
Pull the dipstick, wipe it clean and reinsert it.
Pull it out again, look at where the oil level is.
Make a new FULL mark.
Now you know where full really is.

A liter is a little more than a quart...

3.8 liters = 1 gallon = 4 quarts
Thanks for adding information that should have been included.

In this case, I would caution the OP, as that means his engine is damn near 2 quarts low. I'm not aware of any oil filter on the market that will hold the oil in it totally upside down, like what mounts on the slant 6. All of them drain out, I believe, so that means he's lower than he thinks, most likely. I recommend doing an oil change, adding five quarts (unless it's a truck or van then 6) and rechecking the dipstick and remarking as necessary.

No idea since I don't know a liter from an asshole. Talk to me in quarts like the engine came with and I might can help.
Take it easy, this fellow Fabo member is reaching out from Australia. I bet his Mopar has the steering wheel on the right and the manual probably mentions Litres, not quarts.:steering:

Last edited:
Take it easy, this fellow Fabo member is reaching out from Australia. I bet his Mopar has the steering wheel on the left and the manual probably mentions Litres, not quarts.:steering:
I know he is. But he's reaching out TO a forum made up mostly of members in the USA. It helps if we don't have to take the extra step of looking up a metric conversion. Besides, I did come back and offer him good solid information, but of course, you cherry pick the negative.

I hereby decree, a litre and a u.s. quart are fn close enough to consider them the same. It ain’t rocket surgery.
Can’t buy a quart of anything here in canada, and every dipstick says add 1 quart. Unless its a transmission, wtf is a pint?
Cant buy a pint of transmission fluid anywhere…and zero bottles are marked with pints..

I hereby decree, a litre and a u.s. quart are fn close enough to consider them the same. It ain’t rocket surgery.
Can’t buy a quart of anything here in canada, and every dipstick says add 1 quart. Unless its a transmission, wtf is a pint?
Cant buy a pint of transmission fluid anywhere…and zero bottles are marked with pints..
I agree with that now I know the difference. I didn't before.

Why the hell does a conversion table need to be included? Too simple to know a litre and a quart are basically the same? Ohhh cuz if it's not, it's a reason to be a condescending wiseass. I get it now...FFS

Last edited:
Why the hell does a conversion table need to be included? Too simple to now a little and a quart are basically the same? Ohhh cuz if it's not, it's a reason to be a condescending wiseass. I get it now...FFS
Whatever you say, Steve.

You were arrogant/condescending in your response, now just twisting your arrogance around to make it look like its the OP's fault? BS
I know he is. But he's reaching out TO a forum made up mostly of members in the USA. It helps if we don't have to take the extra step of looking up a metric conversion. Besides, I did come back and offer him good solid information, but of course, you cherry pick the negative.

Do not trust anything aftermarket. Compare tube and stick length with OEM.
Your understanding of the system is flawed slightly. You're correct not to trust aftermarket.... But ALL dipsticks need to be calibrated.
Even OEM.

Easy peasy.
Park on level ground.
Put in the amount of oil the engine is supposed to be filled with, with the filter.
Run it for a few min to make sure the filter gets full.
Shut it off and wait 5 min so the oil up top drains back into the pan.
Pull the dipstick, wipe it clean and reinsert it.
Pull it out again, look at where the oil level is.
Make a new FULL mark.
Now you know where full really is.

This is the proper way.

The only thing I'll say is:
Park on level ground.
THEN DRAIN OIL. Don't touch the filter.
THEN add the proper amount oil, minus one quart.
This is your new "low"
Add one quart, this is your new "full"

And if the level is low on the stick with the right amount of oil, shorten the tube to drop the stick to the right level. Most aftermarket tubes are like this I think.

It's never easy to lengthen your stick.

You were arrogant/condescending in your response, now just twisting your arrogance around to make it look like its the OP's fault? BS
I was pokin him with the stick and jokin around just like I said. Who was the one that purposely came in here stirring up ****? You like you always do. You're an ***. You're now on the list.

You can "buy a pint" almost anywhere in the world- you're just not looking in the right places!
OIP.zl2QNCwPzCwJvWRDjHgg1wHaFc?w=237&h=180&c=7&r=0&o=5&dpr=1.1&pid=1.jpg

A liter is a little more than a quart...

3.8 liters = 1 gallon = 4 quarts
As pointed out later in this thread. Not all gallons are gallons! younger Aussies are easily lost on Imperial measurements and even fewer realise the measuring system in the USA is actually pre Imperial. But I must admit I got a better heads up than most with 20 years in aviation, where you have a curious blend of US, Imperial and metric all in one place.

-
Back