Disassemble a sport mirror

-

Greg S THomas

Reaction score
Does anyone know how to disassemble a sport mirror? I have the mirror (glass) off and have access to the 'ball' but I can't get it out so I can repair the cross bar and put in new mirror glass. This is on the passenger side so no cables.

Anyone know were I can get a replacement for the mirror (glass only)? I broke my when I removed it.

20200701_170259.jpg

Last edited:
Haven't done a Chrysler one, but I have done a few Ford mirrors, did you take the screw out of the bottom where the base meets the upper section? I think that will allow you to access the mechanism. I just put the sport mirrors on my Dart last week, otherwise I'd try taking one apart, see how it works.

Haven't done a Chrysler one, but I have done a few Ford mirrors, did you take the screw out of the bottom where the base meets the upper section? I think that will allow you to access the mechanism. I just put the sport mirrors on my Dart last week, otherwise I'd try taking one apart, see how it works.

I think that there are two different types of these sport mirrors. I have another one that has two screws that would allow you to take out the 'ball' and the mirror part. Mine doesn't have that it only has the 'ball' that is attached to the back of the mirror.

If that ball stud was screwed in it would have a screw driver slot, 2 flats, some way to drive it. So I assume the complete assembly was pressed into pot metal. I would be looking for a mechanical fix for the failed brad, nut and bolt, pop rivet, whatever, without further disassemble.

I drilled and tapped the mirror and used small allens to hold it in place. Still being used on this Demon today. I have another here I am doing right now. Use lock-tite on the threads.

106_0791.JPG

106_0793.JPG

I have done the same thing as Oldmanmopar, and it works well. Don't do it to a painted mirror you don't want to ruin, but on a chrome mirror like the one you have....soak it in lacquer thinner to get the adhesive on the mirror glass to turn loose. You still have to be careful taking the glass out, but it is a LOT easier to get out after soaking it.

My mirror is only held in place by the 'ball' and the shaft that goes to the back of the mirror
Oh I see now, the plate that is loose is held on by the two smushed pot metal posts, and one has let loose. I agree that a small screw is your best bet.

Still wonder how they got behind it to support during the smush operation, kind of makes me think the ball and it's post are inserted after that smushing operation

Great Idea, I'll give it a try.
I drilled out the post and put a cap screw in it's place. Everything works but because I had to screw in the cap screw enough so the mirror would have clearance the whole unit moves very hard. Did you have the same issue?

Thanks

Did you lube the ball?

It is a manual mirror, correct?

How stiff is stiff, like you are concerned you will brake the mirror?

-
Back