Disc brace bearing preload

-

Crazy4408pac

N. Michigan
Reaction score
I'm going over the installation instructions, for the front disc brakes, that are going on my Alter-K. It mentions to set the pre load on the bearings. What are they talking about and how do I do this?
Thanks

I'm going over the installation instructions, for the front disc brakes, that are going on my Alter-K. It mentions to set the pre load on the bearings. What are they talking about and how do I do this?
Thanks

Should be the same for all factory front spindles or alter k. The method I was taught a long time ago.

1. After packing the wheel bearings with grease or for wheel bearing adjustment.
2. Install hubs assemblies with bearings washer and spindle nut.
3. As you turn the hub assembly tighten down the spindle nut semi to very snug.
4. Then without turning the hub assembly back off spindle nut till it is just starts to loosen up.
5. Re tighten nut tell there is just barely some tension (very lightly snug)
6. Place your the lock mechanism over the nut and a cotter pin to keep nut in place and from backing off the pretension you just set
7. With the tire and rim back on hub and vehicle jacked up there should be no noticeable play in the bearings when moving the rim tire assembly up and down with your hands in the 12 and 6 o'clock position

Basically you want the bearings tight with no play. However you don't want them so tight that they may overheat or not spin freely. The above method has worked great for me.

While turning rotor in its forward direction slowly tighten spindle nut to 20 ft/lbs.
Back off nut 1/4 turn.
While turning rotor again tighten nut finger tight. No wrench.

While turning rotor in its forward direction slowly tighten spindle nut to 20 ft/lbs.
Back off nut 1/4 turn.
While turning rotor again tighten nut finger tight. No wrench.

This is closest to "the by the book".

-
Back