Disc brake advice please

-

Sublime Swinger

Reaction score
I have a 70 340 dart with the Kelsey Hayes 4 piston calipers in a small bolt pattern and would like to upgrade to a large bolt pattern rim. I have a disc brake setup out of a 75 dart I can use. My question is can I use the stock 4 piston calipers from my 70 along with 75 spindles and rotors?

Or put the MUCH better quality Wilwood set up on it...

Ive never looked at them side by side. Just curious, where does the issue lie? Rotor size? Caliper bracket?

If originality does not matter to you, sell your setup, and go with a SSBC or Willwood kit. I have it on my 69 Cuda, and I am very happy with it.

If originality does not matter to you, sell your setup, and go with a SSBC or Willwood kit. I have it on my 69 Cuda, and I am very happy with it.
It's not numbers matching anymore so originality isn't as important. My whole idea behind the question was I assume the 4 piston caliper has better stopping power vs. a 1 piston caliper and since I have both setups can they be incorporated together to take advantage of larger studs and still look somewhat original.

Its your call, keeping 14" rims limits you. I honestly would just get SBP Rallye's and call it a day and not bother with the swap.

Its your call, keeping 14" rims limits you. I honestly would just get SBP Rallye's and call it a day and not bother with the swap.

I would agree. It would have to be a Rim specific reason for doing this.... However, if you still feel the need for LBP and you have a donor car then it is a no-brainer. Use the Donor parts and chances are you will be replacing Calipers anyway. I have driven a bunch of version and the late model stuff will work fine...

The flip side is you can sell your KH setup if you include everything for a decent amount of money...

JW

This is exactly why I went with the KH setup as I wanted to keep the SMP Rally's. Otherwise I would have went LBP in which I had the complete setup on a parts car....

JW

Think I will just swap over to the 75 dart setup to use the LBP Rallye's and sell my KH setup that came on the car along with the SBP Rallye's. 1/2" studs seem to be the better option over the 7/16".

Think I will just swap over to the 75 dart setup to use the LBP Rallye's and sell my KH setup that came on the car along with the SBP Rallye's. 1/2" studs seem to be the better option over the 7/16".

It's a great day that you have both options. Some other nutjob like me will want the KH setup lol....

JW

LOL, I have had a few darts and never seem to get rid of parts. Think I have 2 dozen different sized Rallye wheels now.
I hear ya on that. Keep what you want, sell what you can, and recycle the rest. The one thing I can say is the only reason something won't sell is lack of persistency and time. Well, there was some video parts I cut my losses on once lol... Jw

Going to the LBP disc spindle will increase your front track (i.e make it wider) I believe around 3/8" per side. Something to keep in mind.

I haven't been able to break any 7/16 studs on my KHers and it ain't for lack of trying. But it's real hard to stress them with just 235s on there.
I've got one on each side broke off running 205/70s, don't ask me how. Was like that when I got the car

Well, I guess there are two schools of thought on that;
1) is;if they are left-hand threads then well you know, it is very easy to snap them with an air gun set on stun.......for loosening right hand threads.and
2) is well that's what they make torque wrenches for.

Maybe I'm just lucky. But I have jumped my car, slammed it into curbs hard enough to break aluminum wheels, and slammed them into potholes at 60mph that nearly shook my fillings out! Yet there they are......saying,"is that all you got"?

Last edited:
-
Back