Disc Brake Conversion Poll

-

73dart_swinger

Reaction score
Who has the best front disc conversion kit? Performance, fit, price etc? What have you guys used?

I am looking to put discs on a 73 dart with 10" manual drums all the way around.

Wilwood, SSBC, Engineered Components, Master Power Brakes, other?

Who has the best front disc conversion kit? Performance, fit, price etc? What have you guys used?

I am looking to put discs on a 73 dart with 10" manual drums all the way around.

Wilwood, SSBC, Engineered Components, Master Power Brakes, other?

I used 74 discs from a donor car and CAP ucl's to replace the 10" drums on my Barracuda. The fit was excellent, easy to get parts and the cost was about $600-625 with new rotors, bearings, ball joints, pads, control arms and rebuilt calipers. I bought the parts over time and looked for the best price/quality. I used the CAP ucl's for more caster, hoping to get better braking and handling. I like the ability to go almost anywhere and get replacement parts over the counter. Over all, it works great, was easy to do and I really enjoy driving the car.

I used 73 duster on my 71 demon. Easy swap,cheep replacement parts and it works great. Keep it simple, keep it MOPAR

I used 73 duster on my 71 demon. Easy swap,cheep replacement parts and it works great. Keep it simple, keep it MOPAR

i did the same thing but not to keep it mopar just cause i got the whole parts car for 150.00 and just turned rotors and rebuilt calipers they work great but if you want to go aftermarket those kits work well too but usually expensive

I used reilly motorsports UCA's (from bigblockdart) and everything else from a 77 Plymouth Volare.

If you don't ride at stock height I strongly suggest adjustable UCA's to get your alignment correct.

TopHat

I'm using the Wilwood conversion for a 63 dart and I have been really happy with the results. I am going to use the 8 3/4" rear conversion also. I would suggest the drilled rotors over the stock just for the extra cooling capabilities. No problems in two years. Just my opinion though. I really like the drop in pads also.

i have the 73-up abody spindles with cordoba 11.75" rotors and single piston calipers. i will be changing it to the wilwood 4 piston calipers because i drive fast and want to stop fast. the clamping force is greater on a 4 piston than a single piston but budget decides what you get. any single piston setup is great for someone upgrading from drums. they will stop great for you. for a 4 piston setup, go with ssbc or wilwood.

I have Porsche Boxster 4 piston calipers acting on the Cordoba HD(Cop) 11.75" rotor. It works really well.

One custom bracket is all it takes.

I'm working on a very HD solution now that will use 928S4 calipers (= to Big Reds) and 13"x1.25" rotor.

Scamp

Thanks for the replies. I know there is a ton of information about disc swaps but I thought it might be nice to have a few opinions on the various options in one thread.

I guess what I am gathering is that all the options work well. I just wanted to see if anyone had any negative experiences with any of the options.

Have the complete SSBC kit on my 66 Valiant. Very easy kit to use and it comes with both bolt patterns. I like it and I put the same system on my Dad's 67 Chevelle. He loves to drive his car again now that he can stop safely.

I have the opportunity to purchase the disc setup off a diplomat or an aspen. Will the diplomat likely have the larger rotors?

If so, is the benefit of the larger rotors worth the purchase price of new 15" tires? I am broke and my 14" tires have less than 6000 miles on them.

I really can do it either way but I am curious how much improvement there is in stopping power with the larger discs?

It is my understanding that the wilwood kit will NOT clear 14" wheels. Is this correct?

Yea when i was looking at the kits, I don't think none of the kits work with the 14 inch I think the scarebird kit cleared it was the cheapest but you have to have rotors drilled, for your hub to use it, Which i didn't like

I went with SSBC kit for my 71 Duster, I have 14" Rallyee's which It clears. Wasn't cheap Think was just over $1000 Canadian but nice kit must admit. And best of all BETTER BRAKING. Tried to Load pics but It failed. D

What is a good donor for 15" plain steel wheels?
Has anyone temporarily ran 15" on the front and kept the 14" on the back? That might be the way I have to go until I convert the rear to BBP.

-
Back