Disc brake conversion

-

Chard

Reaction score
hello I’m looking for some help to swap front drum to disc, i have a 69 dart custom and I have a disc brake setup from a 72 E body, does anyone know what I would have to change to make this E body setup work on Abody, tie rods? Up/lower arms? Etc thanks
Rich

Last edited:
Not much to do. the E body spindles will bolt to the 73 and up A body suspension. if you have an older A you will need the 73 and up, upper control arms. If you don't have the spindles, look for the later A body spindles or F or M body spindles. the lower ball join will be the 73 and up disc equipped A body.

What year A-body? What brakes? It makes a difference.

Basically, you’ll use the spindles and everything “out” from there. No changes to tie rods, lower control arms etc.

67-72 A’s used small ball joint UCA’s, E-bodies used large balljoints like the 73-76 A-bodies. So, you either have to use 73-76 a-body UCA’s, or ball joint adaptors from doctordiff.

Depending on what A-body brake set up you have, you will likely need lower ball joints as well. Again, just use a 73-76 A-body disk car for a source.

Finally, ‘70-72 e-body disks aren’t really a good choice. They’re different from the 73+ brakes that were basically uniform across all the platforms. The spindles look basically the same, but the wheel bearing diameters are different, and so the rotors are too. You can buy bearing adapters for the 70-72 E spindles, also from doctordiff, to use the 73+ rotors, which are the same diameter/thickness etc, but are a lot cheaper than the 70-72 rotors. The calipers and brackets used are the same as the 73+ e-body brakes, although those will all be pin type calipers and brackets. A-bodies used slider type brackets and calipers, but that’s not a problem really, you just have to source the replacement parts correctly.

There are a TON of threads here on brake swaps, you should do a search and see more of what’s involved.

What year A-body? What brakes? It makes a difference.

Basically, you’ll use the spindles and everything “out” from there. No changes to tie rods, lower control arms etc.

67-72 A’s used small ball joint UCA’s, E-bodies used large balljoints like the 73-76 A-bodies. So, you either have to use 73-76 a-body UCA’s, or ball joint adaptors from doctordiff.

Depending on what A-body brake set up you have, you will likely need lower ball joints as well. Again, just use a 73-76 A-body disk car for a source.

Finally, ‘70-72 e-body disks aren’t really a good choice. They’re different from the 73+ brakes that were basically uniform across all the platforms. The spindles look basically the same, but the wheel bearing diameters are different, and so the rotors are too. You can buy bearing adapters for the 70-72 E spindles, also from doctordiff, to use the 73+ rotors, which are the same diameter/thickness etc, but are a lot cheaper than the 70-72 rotors. The calipers and brackets used are the same as the 73+ e-body brakes, although those will all be pin type calipers and brackets. A-bodies used slider type brackets and calipers, but that’s not a problem really, you just have to source the replacement parts correctly.

There are a TON of threads here on brake swaps, you should do a search and see more of what’s involved.
Ok thanks it’s a 69 dart custom & 72 cuda disc brake set

Not much to do. the E body spindles will bolt to the 73 and up A body suspension. if you have an older A you will need the 73 and up, upper control arms. If you don't have the spindles, look for the later A body spindles or F or M body spindles. the lower ball join will be the 73 and up disc equipped A body.
Ok thanks

Ok thanks it’s a 69 dart custom & 72 cuda disc brake set

What brakes currently are on the '69 Dart?

Also, I assume you know that you're changing from a 5x4" bolt pattern on the Dart to a 5x4.5" bolt pattern on the E-body brakes. Are you converting the rear axle pattern on the Dart as well?

What brakes currently are on the '69 Dart?

Also, I assume you know that you're changing from a 5x4" bolt pattern on the Dart to a 5x4.5" bolt pattern on the E-body brakes. Are you converting the rear axle pattern on the Dart as well?
Drum brakes not sure what size, yes changing rear to 8 3/4 large bolt pattern also

-
Back