Disc Brake Swap

-

jhdeval

Reaction score
I have a 65 Barracuda and I plan on installing disc brakes. I was reading the conversion 101 thread and it comments on the upper ball joint. My used disc brakes came from a 71 scamp I believe he said i know it was a 71 a body but not sure it was a scamp. Anyway what are my upper ball joint/control arm options?

Yup if it is the 4 piston caliper set up your upper ball joint is the same. If it was the single piston caliper they had a larger upper joint.

It is a single piston. So do i need a new upper control arm or just ball joint? i planned on rebuilding the control arms anyway while it was apart.

It is a single piston. So do i need a new upper control arm or just ball joint? i planned on rebuilding the control arms anyway while it was apart.

OEM large bolt pattern would require different upper control arms or the bushing Doctor Diff sells. The trouble would come if yours isn't OEM and is aftermarket. Without a picture we have no way of knowing what you have.

You'll need a 73 or later UCA and the larger ball joint for the single piston disk brake spindle.

To clarify, the single-piston disk brakes on the 71 Scamp were definitely not original. They were for a 73+ car. That is why photos always help when a questioner states, "I've got this ...". Fortunately, post #3 asked an insightful question, otherwise you could have been easily led astray.

Bill i apologize but they were only cleaned up 2 nights ago. I was told they were off a 71 but that was proven to be wrong.

-
Back