disc brake

-

danpierson

Reaction score
I have a 1965 dart and i want the put disc brakes on the front.
I can get the disc brake setup off a 1974 dart other than bolt padern will the setup off the 74 fit i can get upper control arms spindles caliper mount caliper and rotor can anyone help me with info about conversion

Get the uppers and spindles out. Also grab the prop valve of the inside of drivers frame rail.

You need lower ball joint, spindles, rotors, calipers + brackets and the upper control arm from 1973 up. You will also need the porportioning valve master cylinder and the rest of the lines. I am thinking your car is a single cup master cylinder in I recall. If you have manual brakes you will need a dual master cylinder and power will need a power master clyinder.

Check out Scarbird Classic brakes.
You can install disc and use the parts that are on the car.
Not sure how good this setup is but I plan and upgrade on my 64 dart GT
Richard

In my opinion, Scarebird is a option for those who want front disc brakes but dont have access to factory brake assemblies at a decent price.
If you plan to pull the factory parts yourself at a local yard, Go ahead and get everything brake related that you can. The upper and lower arms, master cylinder, booster, perp'valve. I would get the rear end too if possible. It will bolt right in and with its matching 5on 4.5 bolt pattern you wont need to carry 2 spare wheels , which reminds me , get all 5 wheels if they are there.

A new Raybestos 36338 master cylinder as used on the 72 Demon with manual front discs is still available.

It has a small bore (15/16) that lowers the brake pedal effort.....stroke required to deliver enough fluid volume increases within acceptable range.

My 65 Dart & my daughter's 65 dart both used this cylinder with front discs & the brake effort seems acceptable....you might find the added fine control over braking force an improvement over power brakes.

We experimented with & without the proportioning valve & found that the small stock 9 inch rear drums & small 185/70 R14 tires with the 65 Dart weight distribution braked faster, with minimum rear tire skidding, without the proportioning valve under hard braking.

We even tried this with front & rear studded tires.....the front tires dug deep into the pavement while the rears left small scores.

So the question begs if the design of the late model proportioning valve is better suited for a heavier 70's A body with larger rear brakes?

Napa has changed master cylinder suppliers so the above number has changed for them. Google & you'll find plenty available with the above number.

-
Back