Disc break conversion kits?

-

Skarlett

Reaction score
Hey there everybody. I set this account up for myself and my wife, it is going to be her car after all, and the first question that I have is about some disc break conversion kits. We just bought a '65 Barracuda and the current breaks are very worn out. This is going to be a project car and then the body is being worked on, I was wanting to convert over while the quarters were off and being fixed. I have searched a few sites and come up with different products that range in price and am curious to see which kits have been used and seem to be the easiest to install and easiest on the budget. I would easily pay a little bit more for less of a headache and more safety though obviously. Any help would be appreciated

Pssst, hi and welcome.
You might try looking for brake parts. Looking for break parts only leads to stuff you gotta fix. :D

OH, and read the Mopar Action link listed above, first. It's a great source of base knowledge to start out.

OH, and read the Mopar Action link listed above, first. It's a great source of base knowledge to start out.

Yes, except the FMJ spindle warning.

Find 73+ A body BBJ upper A Arms and a set of discs from a 73-76 A or an FMJ body car. They all work well if you are swapping to big bolt pattern wheels.

Small bolt pattern, factory Kelsey-hayes or scarebird work.

Yes, except the FMJ spindle warning.

Find 73+ A body BBJ upper A Arms and a set of discs from a 73-76 A or an FMJ body car. They all work well if you are swapping to big bolt pattern wheels.

Small bolt pattern, factory Kelsey-hayes or scarebird work.

Oh so true. I keep forgetting about that spindle war thing. Big Block Dart has the graphs and all that info on the FMJ spindles. Heck, it's what I run on my Valiant. :D

The Mopar Action tech article is still probably one of the best resources for us on the interweb. Spindles not withstanding....

Disc brakes, not breaks. Unless your disc brake breaks!!

I have a set of 73 near new brakes no arms or spindles and only one dust shield was all on the car for around 2000 miles so practically new $125 plus the ride big bolt pattern

Front bolt pattern conflicts with rear bolt pattern. Small bolt pattern limits wheel options. If a late model 7.25 rear with highway gear and large bolt pattern will do everything you want to do, the availability and affordability of those should effect your decisions.

Has anyone had signs of unusual tire wear or handling issues because of Ackerman angle issues with their FMJ spindle conversion? I know I haven't..... I do like the extra travel.

Save yourself a lot of hassle and just buy what you need from DoctorDiff.

If you want some really good brakes and are willing to upgrade to a larger wheel diameter then the sky is the limit. I have 13 inch rotors on the front of my car with Porsche calipers. This setup will fit on any A body car but you need to run 17 inch rims.

Attachments

• 7-32 (Large).jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 394
Just purchased the Wilwood race brake set-up for my duster looks like quality stuff should be installing soon and i can use 15" rims...which is a must.

Hard to find early conversion kits if you want to stick with small bolt pattern. I went with a Ram Man kit. Looks easy spindles out get changed that's it.

What are you looking for? stock or modified? Modified is easy

I preferred to keep my car all mopar, so my set up with be all 76 dart stuff. Kit should be here in a month I will post the conversion as I go.

Originally we were thinking about trying to keep the stock rims and tires on the car. But, upon further review, it does not seem to be something we will be able to do. The original rims are just too small for any kit out there from what I have found. But it looks like we will size up to at least 15" for now. Don't think we want to go much bigger than that as it may look a little like one of those DUB cars. Not..... Our..... Style......

I think the Scarebird conversion fits in stock 14 inch wheels ( unless they've changed what donor parts are employed ).
The original drum brakes did successfully stop the car for about 50 years and *** miles. There is no shame in restoring.

I think the Scarebird conversion fits in stock 14 inch wheels ( unless they've changed what donor parts are employed ). The original drum brakes did successfully stop the car for about 50 years and *** miles. There is no shame in restoring.

Yeah I looked at scare bird they don't make anything easy for the small cars.

-
Back