Disconnect switch wiring

-

75 Duster 360

Reaction score
I want to install a Moroso battery disconnect switch on my Duster which has the battery mounted in the trunk. It is a street car with the factory wiring and alternator. Do I connect the positive cable to each side of the switch? What about my alternator wiring? Does it have to be altered also?

This is a diagram of the way I do them. The Moroso switch is a good choice, it's all I use and one of them has been in use for over 15 years.

Attachments

• Battery disconnect revised.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 568
Is there a way to do it that doesn't involve running a massive, constantly hot wire through the whole car?

Is there a way to do it that doesn't involve running a massive, constantly hot wire through the whole car?

Yes there is... It takes some extra wire and a solenoid or two depending on what you want in the end. The two main lines to be cold, starter line and alt charge wire.

This method take all the load of your starter off of the master cutoff. I think I have about $30 for the ford starter relay and a CD relay for the alt line.

There are other ways to do this, using just a ford relay, but, that still keeps the alt line hot. Upper CD solenoid, left side goes to Altenator, right side jumps to starter solenoid in/battery hot. Left side of starter relay goes direct to starter.

Here is the last one I did for my Swinger 340.

I did my race car similar to the above but, I used the small pole on the master switch to break the ground for the cd relay.

Use a Napa pt# ST85SB ford type solenoid. cost a little more but last a lot longer, still made in china but nothing worse then turning on your main and there is no CLUNK.

I ran the positive wire from the battery threw the switch then from the switch to the starter. I have a fused distribution block Run off the switch aswell for my ignition and electric accessories. Not sure if that's the proper way of doing it but it works.

This is how I did mine, with a lot of help from 67Dart273 (Del, resident electric guru!!!)

I used a Moroso 4 pole cut off switch #74102 and a Moroso CDR, #74107. I also use a Summit battery relocation kit, #SUM-G1231-K. It's the one with the 1 gauge wires included. I needed a couple extra short cables to do this particular set up, but the long ones worked great.

batt-cuttoff_zps468a9a9f.jpg

-
Back