Disconnecting Kickdown Linkage

-

Dugster

'73 Resto-Mod
Reaction score
I need to leave off the kickdown linkage until I get the cable setup in a few months. I have the linkage rod (between the engine and firewall) pulled as far up as it will go and tied to the firewall.
Is this the best position for it or should I lower it?
I just don't want to damage the tranny.

Thanx, Doug

Are you not planning to drive the car these few months ?
Anything less than throttle relation is not good for the trans.

I am planning on driving it locally on occassion. No safe way to do this then?

If you are planning on driving the car period, the kickdown linkage needs to be connected.

The K/D linkage is also the throttle pressure linkage. How far the carb is opened determines how much throttle pressure the tranny gets. If you want to drive it, you can wire it back about 3/4 the way so you still get throttle pressure, but it will shift pretty crappy at low speeds.

I always shift manually anyway so it shouldn't be a problem for a little while. I will try it at 3/4.

Thanx, Doug

I always shift manually anyway so it shouldn't be a problem for a little while. I will try it at 3/4.

Thanx, Doug

In case you weren't sure, I meant the TP lever on the trans. That way the trans always has throttle pressure.

3/4 back is how i ran mine for years. if you always shift manually get a manual valve body and you wont need a kickdown.why buy a cable

3/4 back is how i ran mine for years. if you always shift manually get a manual valve body and you wont need a kickdown.why buy a cable

What he said. Take the plunge and don't drive the car til its changed. Throttle pressure is life and death for a trans, don't risk it.

Wait a minute Doug....Does this mean there will be another Duster on the road around here?......that can't be... :)

Yes Matt, it's finally happening after all this time. Any cruise-ins planned in March?

Well, There is the local steak n shake (50 and 408 ) on Sat nights or the more organized Old town in Kiss. I've seen a few small cruises here and there but they don't seem to be a "regular" thing, I mean there a couple of weeks in a row and then nothing for a couple of months....
old-town April 5th http://moparshowoff.com/

-
Back