Dissapointing performance

-
Status
Not open for further replies.
Propably yes. It can be too fat mixture or too cold plug or car is driven at idle or other type of low load situation some time. Nothing to worry about if plug works.
I will not try to change your mind, but a blackened plug will not perform as well, neither will your engine because it indicates a problem which hinders performance

Propably yes. It can be too fat mixture or too cold plug or car is driven at idle or other type of low load situation some time. Nothing to worry about if plug works.

There's a difference between a plug working, and a plug working correctly. A black plug covered in carbon doesn't work correctly.

Want me to go pull my plugs and show you what plugs look like after idle/low speed situations? I guarantee they look better than yours.

I will not try to change your mind, but a blackened plug will not perform as well, neither will your engine because it indicates a problem which hinders performance
Black plug works as good as any plug. If it ignites, then it ignites. Fat mixture can hurt performance I understand.

There's a difference between a plug working, and a plug working correctly. A black plug covered in carbon doesn't work correctly.

Want me to go pull my plugs and show you what plugs look like after idle/low speed situations? I guarantee they look better than yours.
What cam you have and can you use the same plug with 1/4 mile drag racing? I bellieve your plugs can look nice after that kind of drive. There is multiple thing that can affect that.

If you disagree with spark plug manufacturer you need to find pretty strong arguments for your opinions.

Black plug works as good as any plug. If it ignites, then it ignites. Fat mixture can hurt performance I understand.

77c.jpg

Plug doesnt know how black it is when its igniting the fuel mixture. When the problem is or gets worse then plug can stop working because the white insulator becomes conductive and spark doesnt jump anymore.

Look like I have found the reasons that might explain this low performance problem and there is not need to continue this topic.

Thanks for those people who helped me.

What this thread reminds me of is when my one son was a teenager and he'd argue a mechanical issue by showing me things he found on the internet. I told him to call a couple of my Mopar buddies if he didn't believe me.

When we started going to Moparfest together and he spoke to some of the fellas, we got back home he said "those old guys sure know their stuff, more than I can find on the internet".

Does this mean someone here is finally going to listen to the "old guys"?

What this thread reminds me of is when my one son was a teenager and he'd argue a mechanical issue by showing me things he found on the internet. I told him to call a couple of my Mopar buddies if he didn't believe me.

When we started going to Moparfest together and he spoke to some of the fellas, we got back home he said "those old guys sure know their stuff, more than I can find on the internet".

Does this mean someone here is finally going to listen to the "old guys"?
Sometimes the old guys have forgot how plug works and that something you learned 1974 isnt relevant anymore. There is information on internet more than anyone can know or remember thats for sure. Maybe it better that sometimes young fresh guy comes up and tells how the things are.

I have listened all of you from the beginning.

Black plug is showing you what your combustion efficiency is looking like.... sooty plugs whether it be exhaust reversion or pig rich needs to be looked at. If it's that rich you could be washing the rings of oil. Have full compression #'s yet? About these home made headers, how long the primaries? Short tubes that dump into a 2.5 log? How about a pic?

Sometimes the old guys have forgot how plug works and that something you learned 1974 isnt relevant anymore. There is information on internet more than anyone can know or remember thats for sure. Maybe it better that sometimes young fresh guy comes up and tells how the things are.

I have listened all of you from the beginning.
is that right, lol most out there are still catching up to us old guys. trying at least.

Black plug is showing you what your combustion efficiency is looking like.... sooty plugs whether it be exhaust reversion or pig rich needs to be looked at. If it's that rich you could be washing the rings of oil. Have full compression #'s yet? About these home made headers, how long the primaries? Short tubes that dump into a 2.5 log? How about a pic?

He posted they are 1 5/8" short tubes into a 2" outlet. A 2.5" outlet would be 2 steps up.

I have listened all. of you from the beginning.

4 cycle engines just haven't changed that much in the last 100 years, doesn't matter whether it's a one lunger or 500ci . Efficiency have improved, but the same principles still apply.

Last edited:
He posted they are 1 5/8" short tubes into a 2" outlet. A 2.5" outlet would be 2 steps up.

what I'm asking is how short, 2 or 3 inches into a log? Or say 10 inch primary tubes into 2 inch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back