Distibutor- best bang for the buck?

-

KnuckleDuster

Reaction score
MSD?
Pertronix?
Other?
Running an old MP unit, and it may just be the weakest link. What's working for you?

Running an old MP aluminum tach drive unit, No weak link here!

FireCore's are decent for a drop in to run a stock ECU or equivalent.

Do you have points? Older point type works well with a Pertronix, a adjustable vacuum advance and they are eady to recurve just like Rusty suggested.

Why get rid of points? If you have a point type ignition and are on a budget, keep it. It will respond in the same way an electronic ignition will to a good, hot ignition curve. No reason to spend hundreds of dollars on an overkill ignition system if all you are doing is wanting to have fun on the street.

I kept the dual points in my 66. It has worked well for 10+ years. Is a MSD really needed for a mild street car?

I kept the dual points in my 66. It has worked well for 10+ years. Is a MSD really needed for a mild street car?

No, but they are good for bench racin and braggin rights.

Recurved stock one, definitely.
If you're also asking about ignition system big vote for HEI here. Cheap, effective, reliable, easy to find parts.

@TrailBeast sells a nicely recruved distributor, would recommend!

Running a stock recurved with an FBO plate, pretty sure it came on the car, still has the Chrysler tag on it. Also have an MP Mallory, but not a fan.
Just wanted to explore some options.

-
Back