Distributor Caps

-

Jim Kueneman

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Was there a difference between the cap on a distributor with points and one with factory electronic ignition? I can get a factory looking tan cap but it says for points, is there a physical difference?

Thanks
Jim

Only if it's for a dual point prestolite dist as far as I know, all the Chrysler aluminum dist are the same

The point dist. cap has a spring loaded carbon center contact, with a solid rotor.
The newer ones have a rotor with a spring contact, that reaches up to a solid contact in the cap.
Nope the dual point has a spring loaded button. Single point and electronic not. The spring is in the rotors for those.

Last edited:
Only if it's for a dual point prestolite dist as far as I know, all the Chrysler aluminum dist are the same
Yes all the single point and electronic caps interchane 62-81 I believe. The only one that is not the same in aluminum as far as I know are the MP tach drive they use the dual point. Now there are a few Canadian single point that use the dual point caps but are cast iron housings.

I've seen some early point type used on electronic dist crack because they were lighter material ,and couldn't handle the hotter spark and they interchanged

There are a ton of different caps around from crappy ETRON to MP All really depend what you want to pay. Usually the heavier the better.

-
Back