Distributor drive gear position at TDC

-

darc1722

Reaction score
I know I saw a documented procedure for lining up the distributor drive gear when at TDC on a 318 but I can't find it. Should the slot on the top of the distributor drive gear be pointing to number one cylinder at TDC. Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

Thats how it works on a BB so probably the same on a 318, you can actually put it anywhere you want as long as you move the plug wires on the cap along with it.

spin your balancer timing mark to TDC or 0*. stab the distributor, wherever your rotor ends up will be your #1

It doesn't matter if the engine is on TDC compression stroke to set the gear, just as long as it is on compression stroke when you set the distributor. The slot in the gear will be in the same spot no matter if it is on the exhaust stroke compression stroke.

if it's something other than a mopar distributor you best check how the tang aligns with rotor tip. My MSD distributor required an install direction different than the way mopar describes (point toward the #1 intake port/bolt/etc.).

True the distributor doesn't matter where #1 is as long as it's wired correctly. I just like to keep things consistent and simple knowing the #1 terminal is near the front of my distributor.

if it's something other than a mopar distributor you best check how the tang aligns with rotor tip. My MSD distributor required an install direction different than the way mopar describes (point toward the #1 intake port/bolt/etc.).

True the distributor doesn't matter where #1 is as long as it's wired correctly. I just like to keep things consistent and simple knowing the #1 terminal is near the front of my distributor.

Now THAT does not say much for MSD quality.

I always tell people to "check their timing marks"

1 Get / buy a piston stop like this:

http://www.jerrybramlett.net/images/pic_installation.jpg

Pull the no1 plug, make sure the piston is "down a ways" and install the stop. UNHOOK the battery ground for safety. You may have to play with the length of the device the first time you use it. You are NOT trying to stop the piston "at TDC", but rather, "down a ways."

Wrench the engine around until the piston stops on the device. Make a temporary mark on the balancer, under the TDC mark. Do the same, CCW. You will now have TWO marks, and true TDC will be halfway in between. If the original mark is correct, that is where it will be

2 You don't need no1 compression stroke to install the gear, just bring the engine to TDC on the marks and put it in as mentioned above, the slot pointing to the first bolt of the intake on the driver side. The gear teeth are coarse enough that this will be obvious.

3 There are two easy ways to determine compression. Either look at the no1 valves CAREFULLY, and determine if they ARE BOTH OPEN, or BOTH CLOSED. Compression = both closed.

GET OUT of the habit of setting the timing "at TDC" You actually want the marks to be "wherever you want the timing" That is, (my car) about 14-16* BTC initial.

SO the SECOND way of determing compression is to stick you finger in the no1 plug hole, and bump the starter until you START to feel compression. You may have to go 'round a couple of times the first time you do this

When you feel compression, turn your attention to the timing marks, and wrench / bump the engine until THE MARKS ARE WHERE you want initial timing, IE, my car, 15*.

Take the cap and carefully mark the dist. housing DIRECTLY under the no1 plug tower. I always put a LIGHT file mark on the top of the dist. case. Drop in the dist, rotor close to the no1 tower/ mark.

RETARD the dist -- CW for SB, CCW for B/RB. ADVANCE it back watching the points or reluctor. Bring the advance slowly around until the reluctor tip is centered in the pickup coil core, or with points, us a light/ ohmeter and advance until the points OPEN.

AT THAT POINT the timing should be close enough that it will start and run with no more fooling with the timing, until you get things ready to actually set timing with a lamp.

Once you learn this procedure, you can do it VERY quickly, and will never have to "fiddle" with a distributor again.

My neighbor was amazed. He put a 351C together for an old Ferd pickup, and was having trouble. I went over, stuck my finger in, spun the dist around 180 and set the timing, and then told him to "start it up." He thought I meant "see if it will start."

Brand new engine fired up just like it'd been parked overnight. "How'd you do that??" he says.

The top half of the MSD stuff is chevy parts and I guess if they re-engineered the stuff so the tang/rotor alignment was the same as the mopar stuff, them yeah it would be great. Simple fix and not tough to accomplish. Thus I chalk it up to hot rodding adjustments and move on.

I don,t know how everyone do it but chrysler do it this way,I heard all ways but when I do engines I do it by the book. Mark

Attachments

• imagesCACK1CFJ.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 1,618

Very true, I have mine pointing closer towards the #4 cylinder so my MSD rotor points in the right direction.

What's the easiest way to be sure I'm on the compression stroke? Thanks

Pull the # 1 spark plug, put your finger over the spark plug hole and have someone kick the motor over....if you are on the compression stroke it will blow your finger off the hole (that's where you need it). Then aim the slot toward the # 1 cylinder. Drop in your distributer with the rotor aimed at the #1 spark plug position. That should get you close enough to start it and put a timing gun on it.

Every time I see one of these decade old threads pop up, for some reason or other I hear that old hymn in my head that gets sung at Easter every year. "Up from the grave he arose....." LOL

I was looking for a valve clearance found it here.. just given another option for adjustment. I wonder what people are gonna think about my next Thread 65 273 intake mod

My first car was a 57 chev, 265. Hell for a long time I didn't know there WAS a "right way" to install the dist. One time I pulled into a service station (this was when they checked your oil and actually gave you "service.") The operator says, "how does it run it's all out of time?"

"How can you tell that, it runs fine?"

"The distributor is all wired wrong, IT CAN'T RUN!!"!!!

In those early years ---66-67-- I did not know "how to" get it on the compression stroke. I DID know about "180 out" so (on Chev) I used to just throw it in, crank/ bump it until the oil pump drive lined up, then bring it up on the marks, and stick no1 in. If it backfired, I'd rotate everything around to the no6 hole, and set it up.

I learned about "static timing" fairly early as someone went through timing a Vee Dub with me and my Dad worked on outboards. In fact RIGHT NOW I have a couple of the old OMC/ Johnson/ Evindrude timing tools to set up twins timing. You can usually also use the flywheel itself on a Johnnyrude, but it is tougher to reach through the holes on top to test points continuity. I have on little 3hp that does not have flywheel holes. Fortunately, I had a junker (froze up) with a different flywheel.

OMCtiming.jpg

You just set it up where you want the timing, rotate the dist retarded, then with a test light, rotate the dist advanced until the points open. And it is timed, and it will start, and it will run.

Last edited:
-
Back