Distributor filling itself with oil

-
I have a big cap style HEI on my Ford 400 in my F250. It has those same vent holes and does get oil in the cap. I would lean toward something amiss with the PCV system or something causing extra blowby.

Those coils are not SUPPOSED to be oil filled. Is it possible this one is so?
Just saw the amount of Oil. I was picturing a film. That looks like someone poured it right in there. I have seen some of the in cap GM coils seep some kind of fluid film. But I never seen a puddle like that. That's a first for me.

This is an off the wall shot, but is your vacuum advance working? What if the diaphragm is ruptured and you are pulling a vacuum inside the Distributor?

This is an off the wall shot, but is your vacuum advance working? What if the diaphragm is ruptured and you are pulling a vacuum inside the Distributor?
Now that's a smart idea.

As throttle/rpm increases, manifold vacuum decreases till none, after that, blow-by increases to overwhelm that small pcv hose.
Normally plumbed the excess crankcase pressure blasts up the vent tube, filtered into the air cleaner, then into carb and burnt.
You need the vent to relieve crankcase pressure at rpm, or it'll blow oil out the dipstick tube, and everywhere else it can, including uphill into the distributor .
Good luck .

Last edited:
As throttle/rpm increases, manifold vacuum decreases till none, after that, blow-by increases to overwhelm that small pcv hose.
Normally plumbed the excess crankcase pressure blasts up the vent tube, filtered into the air cleaner, then into carb and burnt.
You need the vent to relieve crankcase pressure at rpm, or it'll blow oil out the dipstick tube, and everywhere else it can, including uphill into the distributor .
Good luck .
I agree. I also think that load is a contributor to a decrease in vacuum. Example: Throttle position remains constant at part throttle, if the load increases the rpm can decrease and vacuum will decrease. What I have observed on the dyno is that both load and increased rpm can increase blowby. The pcv system is most efficient at high vacuum, low load and low rpm. Which depending on the driver is where street driven cars spend most of their time.

So, found the vacuum advance leaking. Thats been changed, and car runs better than ever. Ive got about 60 miles on with no evidence of more oil yet. Hopefully get a bunch more on this weekend, so we'll see of that was it! If not, it comes back out to see if it has the passages i didn't see last time.

So, found the vacuum advance leaking. Thats been changed, and car runs better than ever. Ive got about 60 miles on with no evidence of more oil yet. Hopefully get a bunch more on this weekend, so we'll see of that was it! If not, it comes back out to see if it has the passages i didn't see last time.

I'm floored .
Looking at how that vac advance is mounted thru the case, with the vac canister remote from the body, with a rod thru the the case, I couldn't imagine how vacuum could be created inside the body, never mind how wet those things get inside, while off-roading, absolutely amazing .

I'm floored .
Looking at how that vac advance is mounted thru the case, with the vac canister remote from the body, with a rod the the case, I couldn't imagine how vacuum could be created inside the body, never mind how wet those things get inside, while off-roading, absolutely amazing .
For all i know, taking it apart for inspection knocked a piece of swarf out that i didn't see that was corkscrewing the oil up like someone else suggested.
I have no idea why it was doing it before, and why it doesn't appear to be now. Im bumfuzzled.

For all i know, taking it apart for inspection knocked a piece of swarf out that i didn't see that was corkscrewing the oil up like someone else suggested.
I have no idea why it was doing it before, and why it doesn't appear to be now. Im bumfuzzled.
Likely the vortex effect of the rotor, prob knocking an edge off cured it . lol
Did you happen to add an extra vent in some form ?

I'm floored .
Looking at how that vac advance is mounted thru the case, with the vac canister remote from the body, with a rod thru the the case, I couldn't imagine how vacuum could be created inside the body, never mind how wet those things get inside, while off-roading, absolutely amazing .
I wouldn't think it'd take much vacuum. That small amount, coupled with a "little" normal engine blowby and there you go.

I wouldn't think it'd take much vacuum. That small amount, coupled with a "little" normal engine blowby and there you go.

Rusty, the vacuum would have to jump an inch void from the diaphram pod, to the body of the distributor, then create vacuum inside an open to atmosphere body .
Nevermind, going back to bed, this is starting out as one of " those days" lol.
Cheers

Last edited:
The fix is RTV... mine was filling with oil as well. I upgraded the module and coil while I had it on the bench.

View attachment 1716121306

Flip it over and fill all the holes but one. I used Right stuff.
View attachment 1716121307

View attachment 1716121308

Been a few thousand miles and no issues since.
I have no experience in this issue, but I think a distributor needs to breathe. Plugging the holes may hinder that. Possible making a felt washer to cover the holes, but not to tight, to allow it not to tear. As some have said, possible to much "Blow-By". Maybe wrong PVC, not allowing enough draw back or vent cap dirty or plugged. Stock ones have a nylon spacer that may help to keep oil from creeping up on the shalf. Something may be missing here.

-
Back