distributor install

-

big block

Reaction score
Hi Guys
Any tricks to installing a distributor in a 360 so that it lines up on no 1 spark plug wire. I can't get it to drop in in the right position. I had to move the no 1 plug wire 2 positions to the left to make the engine run. That was clockwise 2 spots. The engine runs fine but the vacuum advance is almost pointed at the firewall. I've:wack::wack: got a distributor gear that I machined the teeth off so that I can turn the oil pump shaft so that maybe the dist will line up but the cam teeth still hold it in the wrong position.

Any tricks or suggestions?

Thank You
Big block

No tricks but a suggestion. If the engine is happy leave it alone. A small block distributor will only go in 2 ways. Right or 180 out. If the engine starts and runs OK it must be right, besides, now this engine is truly yours...

the trick is to get the intermediate shaft in the right position ...the factory
position is with the slot pointing at the front driver side intake bolt...

but as you see it really does not matter as long as you put no 1 on the cap with no 1 firing on the rotor....

Hi Guys
Any tricks to installing a distributor in a 360 so that it lines up on no 1 spark plug wire. I can't get it to drop in in the right position. I had to move the no 1 plug wire 2 positions to the left to make the engine run. That was clockwise 2 spots. The engine runs fine but the vacuum advance is almost pointed at the firewall. I've:wack::wack: got a distributor gear that I machined the teeth off so that I can turn the oil pump shaft so that maybe the dist will line up but the cam teeth still hold it in the wrong position.

Any tricks or suggestions?

Thank You
Big block

The first thing is, "someone" discovered that NOT ALL DISTRIBUTORS have the rotor indexed to the drive tang the same. This means that "by the book" install of the distributor gear will not result in "things" quite working out

But you don't need any ground - off shaft. You can easily "walk" the gear up out of the cam gear with a screwdriver and rotate it a tooth or more in either direction.

If all you want is to move the vacuum advance, just loosen the dist, point your finger at one plug tower while braced against something solid, and rotate the distributor one plug tower, then rotate all the plug wires to suit and re time the engine.

Easy.

big block, pull off dist cap to see which terminal(plug wire) rotor is pointing at. Mark that wire. Take
note which way rotor is pointing. Turn dist to desired position. Rewire cap with the wire you marked
lined up w/rotor. Set timing.

and as said above...alot of aftermarket distributor do not have the rotor line up with the slot on the bottom of distributor...

they can be 90 degrees difference in the rotor and slot....

Thanks for the info. What does the timing set? I'm at 36 degrees full advance now.

Thanks
Big block

-
Back