Distributor Removal

-

dodgedart1968

Reaction score
1968 Dodge Dart Slant Six

I'm trying to remove my distributor to facilitate points/condenser replacement.

I've removed the hold-down bolt. I have been unable remove the distributor. I had to use a pry bar to rotate it. I tried gentle force with a pry bar to prise it up, without success. I don't want to use any more force for fear of damaging the housing. Suggestions?

20220528_153703.jpg

There is a gear attached to the end, rotate the rotor as you rotate the housing. Sometimes you have to rotate the engine by hand a bit to loosen it up, but that is not usually needed...

It's stuck in the block tightly. I can't rotate it by hand, and as I noted above, it took a pry bar to turn it. Any ideas on how to get better leverage?

Probably all corroded/ rusted/ gummed/ shellacked / cooked up. Can you rotate or move it at all? Try to get some penetrant of some sort down in, soak the **** out of it. Keep re-applying, and if you can move it, keep rotating back/ forth. You can move it further ---the same bracket that clamps to the block goes under the dist, and there is a bolt and another slot there UP into the dist. Remove that bolt to give you more wiggle room. I think some older models were clamped, but may be thinking of (cough gag) Chev

Looks like a fair amount of rust in there. I would tear it down and clean/ lube/ check the mechanical advance, etc. Read the manual. If you dont have one, wander over to MyMopar you can download them free. Does not have to be "exact" you may have to settle for Dodge vs Plymouth, etc.

-
Back