Distributor vacuum advance question

-

lee g

Reaction score
Should the distributor be plumbed straight to a vacuum source or go thru a thermal vacuum switch? Trying to get my car road ready and I am working the last few bugs out of it.

What year and engine? For mild street duty, the vac advance needs to be hooked to ported vacuum on the carb above the throttle plates. (so it doesn't have vacuum at idle)

What year and engine? For mild street duty, the vac advance needs to be hooked to ported vacuum on the carb above the throttle plates. (so it doesn't have vacuum at idle)
Yup. Agree. Some years/models/engines used various switches in the line so need to know the details. It's prob an OSAC but if we guess wrong...

Prob too early for OSAC.
Maybe its the decel advance. No harm with using that. it gets both ported and manifold vacuum and then connects to vac advance.
Evolution of the Cleaner Air System (Session 287) from the Master Technician's Service Conference
The only one I can think of off hand that might be important to use connect would be one that also operates the EGR. If there is EGR. Which on a rebuilt engine, maybe. maybe not. '72 Calif only AFAIK
Sounds like a good thing to simplify. Remove and plug the therm-vac switch and hook it direct.

-
Back