DIY 73 duster rear window electric defroster

-

beebeeri000

Rest-O-Moder
Reaction score
hi im not sure if anyone has dont this but i really want to do this and i think im gonna do it. has anyone tried to make their own electric rear window defrost? i know there's the blower type but theyre big and expensive, and i know places make a kit but those are very expensive too(like almost as muck as i payed for my car). so i an going to make my own electric rear window defogger. i am going to measure everything out and mask it off then i will paint the lines on the inside of the rear windshield with conductive paint and then ill wire it so its on a accessory fuse and have a switch so its on or off. lastly after everythings dry on the rear windshield i will put a couple thin coats of clear coat to seal everything.

Good luck with it.
This is what I purchased to use in my 67 B'cuda vert project with OEM hard rear glass.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/95-99-BMW-E...ies&fits=Make:BMW&hash=item33928911ac&vxp=mtr
2 of them required for such a large glass. These aren't very noisy. Their small size doesn't interfere with top operation when mounted on the seat back.
A mercury switch on the top prevents their coming on if the top is down. Wouldn't want to cook the boot.

This is an interesting idea, but wouldn't it be simpler to pick up a rear window with the elements in it already? I think they are pretty common as my 74 Duster as well as my 2 parts cars(75 Duster, 76 Dart sport) all have them. Come to Saskatchewan, I'll give you one.

Cley

I have a blower type from a 70 B Body that could be adapted easily. The wires were replaced at some point, but it's otherwise intact. Blower, vent and hose $40 plus the ride. That's pretty much just what the vents go for.
Tony

The electronic defroster (aka rear window heater) was an option in 73 (my 73 Dart Sport has it). All you need is the switch and relay and you'll be in business, no fab required. Oh yeah, don't forget the rear window with the heater grid.

Good luck getting in there with a spray can or gun. Its a very tight squeeze towards the bottom with the package tray in the way

thanks for the replies lol i must have set this subscription to this set to only update me once a month lol. yea it would be easier to get glass with this already on it but i just want to try this. i had to put this on the back burner though cause i got some bad rod knock so im having to put all my money and time to that.

hi im not sure if anyone has dont this but i really want to do this and i think im gonna do it. has anyone tried to make their own electric rear window defrost? i know there's the blower type but theyre big and expensive, and i know places make a kit but those are very expensive too(like almost as muck as i payed for my car). so i an going to make my own electric rear window defogger. i am going to measure everything out and mask it off then i will paint the lines on the inside of the rear windshield with conductive paint and then ill wire it so its on a accessory fuse and have a switch so its on or off. lastly after everythings dry on the rear windshield i will put a couple thin coats of clear coat to seal everything.
I know this is an old post. Did you ever do a paint on rear window heater grid?
I looked up frost fighters n they make a kit. And since my window is out it’ll be easy to use their kit with a switch n relay then install the glass

-
Back