DIY Crack Checking?

-

LowDeck451

Reaction score
I'm looking into getting some of the penetrant dye/developer spray to check for cast iron cracks in some heads I have, and was wondering if some of you do this, if you have a brand preference or another way of checking your own heads? Thanks.

The dye penetrant does not work well with cast iron. It is more suited to aluminum and other non-ferrous alloys.

Magnaflux. Just another option.
Meaning, have a shop Mag them? The reason I was looking at DIY is because I have four sets I'd like to check, and when I called a local machine shop..........Long story short I quit listening to the guy when he went past $100 a set. Unless this guy is sniffing his solvents, dunno. I was just trying to low buck it to see what shape my junk is in. Thanks for the input.

A friend of mine is in the heavy equipment off road sales and they use a 3 part kit that he claims works great they do it out in the field and can find cracks in steel, cast iron and they don't use aluminum.

Spray it down with carb cleaner and the. Hit it with an air hose. When carb cleaner dries quickly it leave things looking kind of white. The cracks will still have wet carb cleaner in them and will stand out against the dry background.

IMO, I'd imagine penetrant sets are pretty much the same. Its probably worth a try if you have a suspect head rather than running it and finding an issue later. You rely on the crack to fill with the dye enough to be visible.
Magnaflux (and others) sell portable yokes and full size machines to test with fluorescent powder under a black light lens. Cracks show up when bridged with the powder drawn into the N and S poles of the void created by magnetizing.

Thanks for the input. Yeah, I think I'll give it a try. Maybe I can find the more serious problems and eliminate some heads, then have a shop do a more thorough job before I invest in a valve job etc. Thanks again.

The 3 part crack check with spray cans is a cleaner like carb cleaner, penetrant, and developer. I used to use it a lot for quick check of mining parts and used Magnaflux brand if I remember. I did quick look on ebay and found penetrant Dynaflux PHF Penetrant Crack Check Inspection Grade 9.4 Oz. | eBay , and developer: Cantesco D101-A - Dye Penetrant Standard Developer, 12 oz Aerosol Can . The heads will have to be clean of grease, oil, carbon, and loose paint. Best to have pressure washed then spray with cleaner and wipe clean. Spray penetrant liberally and let sit for 10 minutes for penetrant to soak into cracks. Then wipe off with rags, do not spray cleaner on head or parts, spray on rag and wipe off penetrant. Then spray the developer on head to draw out penetrant if there is crack. Some welding supply stores carry the dye crack check spray.

3406pk - Thanks for the info. I've checked out some demo vids on Magnaflux-Spotcheck. I'll look into the others you mentioned too.

Thanks for the input. Yeah, I think I'll give it a try. Maybe I can find the more serious problems and eliminate some heads, then have a shop do a more thorough job before I invest in a valve job etc. Thanks again.

When you bring a set of heads into a shop for any amount of machine work they will usually Magnaflux them to ensure THEY don't work on junk heads. If the heads are good then the job proceeds and the Magnaflux charge is part of the cleaning charge and it doesn't usually come close to $100.00/head---maybe $100/pr. If the heads are cracked then you can be expected to pay the cleaning/Magnaflux fee. Again though most experienced shops can spot cracks with just their eyes because they know where and what they look like--even under a layer of heavy carbon/crud. J.Rob

I'm looking into getting some of the penetrant dye/developer spray to check for cast iron cracks in some heads I have, and was wondering if some of you do this, if you have a brand preference or another way of checking your own heads? Thanks.
you can go to the local Orielly Auto parts store and for 50 bucks, you can rent a magnafluxing kit and check it yourself. When done, simply taking it back and you get 100% of your money back minus the 6-7 bucks for the disposable material for the magnafluxing.

The 3 part crack check with spray cans is a cleaner like carb cleaner, penetrant, and developer. I used to use it a lot for quick check of mining parts and used Magnaflux brand if I remember. I did quick look on ebay and found penetrant Dynaflux PHF Penetrant Crack Check Inspection Grade 9.4 Oz. | eBay , and developer: Cantesco D101-A - Dye Penetrant Standard Developer, 12 oz Aerosol Can . The heads will have to be clean of grease, oil, carbon, and loose paint. Best to have pressure washed then spray with cleaner and wipe clean. Spray penetrant liberally and let sit for 10 minutes for penetrant to soak into cracks. Then wipe off with rags, do not spray cleaner on head or parts, spray on rag and wipe off penetrant. Then spray the developer on head to draw out penetrant if there is crack. Some welding supply stores carry the dye crack check spray.

That's what i have done in the past exactly with great results.
We used to use this system in the field a lot as a go/no go check.
A lot of times, you could see the crack with the naked eye and the penetrant would show the damage further. Use light coats after cleaning and drying thouroughly.
The dye i used was red and the developer was white.

I would grind or air arc the area at least 1/4'' past the crack with about a 20 to 25 degree angle, drill a small hole at the end of the 1/4'' beyond mark, and then preheat to a dull cherry color, and then arc weld with a 3/32'' Ni-Rod in slow steps with a lot of peaning between short welds, then post heat after completed to the dull red color and then submerge the part in sand overnight.
It usually turned out good unless the cast iron was of a really poor quality.
On these pieces, they would actually have voids and pockets with delamination, chunks of carbon, and other debris that made it ''pop'', and then you knew it was a crap shoot at that point.
I have used brass to weld cast iron with a torch and had good results, but to me, it's not the way to do it right..........
The most important thing to remember if you are welding cast iron is to make sure it's clean, go slow, and don't let it cool too fast.
I have done several exhaust manifolds, and a lot of castings for H.D. diesel engines like transmission cases and differential housings etc.

However, i have not done any heads with cracks between the valves, but i would like a shot at it some day.
Welding cast iron is a bit of an art in itself...........

I have welded cast aluminum with a tig and it's pretty easy, the prep is the same for cast iron, but it is less sensitive to pre and post heat from my experience.

The rented magnaflux option from O'Reilly's as previously mentioned looks like the way to go for you.
That's what i would do..........

When you bring a set of heads into a shop for any amount of machine work they will usually Magnaflux them to ensure THEY don't work on junk heads. If the heads are good then the job proceeds and the Magnaflux charge is part of the cleaning charge and it doesn't usually come close to $100.00/head---maybe $100/pr. If the heads are cracked then you can be expected to pay the cleaning/Magnaflux fee. Again though most experienced shops can spot cracks with just their eyes because they know where and what they look like--even under a layer of heavy carbon/crud. J.Rob
The machine shop I called told me $160 per set to clean and mag. FWIW they aren't a high performance shop, just close and convenient. I have a set of 915, 308, 302, and 675 that I've accumulated over the years, didn't pay much for any of them, and figured it would be cheaper for me to find an obvious problem first.

you can go to the local Orielly Auto parts store and for 50 bucks, you can rent a magnafluxing kit and check it yourself. When done, simply taking it back and you get 100% of your money back minus the 6-7 bucks for the disposable material for the magnafluxing.
Thanks, I'll look into that.

The dye penetrant does not work well with cast iron. It is more suited to aluminum and other non-ferrous alloys.
Agreed...
Here's the 64 dollar question? What,head castings.... That will get you ,more help....

Just a thought; What about selling all those heads and going with a set of EQ la bolt pattern heads? A set of virgin castings is $ 612 to your door from Jegs. If they would work with your project, you would be in good shape for head flow, the numbers i see in articles are very good with minor work.

Last edited:
Just a thought; What about selling all those heads and going with a set of EQ la bolt pattern heads? A set of virgin castings is $ 612 to your door from Jegs. If they would work with your project, you would be in good shape for head flow, the numbers i see in articles are very good with minor work.
The build will be a low buck, mild hop up 318. I was hoping to find out just what I have to choose from, as in, if I find multiple cracks in any of them, oh well, get rid of them and they're out of my way. Then if I still have 318 and 360 heads to choose from, maybe I'll start another thread..."318 or 360 heads on a mild 318?" (seems to be one of those Great Debate questions! lol) Thanks guys.

-
Back