DIY paint booth fan question

-
I have a 2 car garrage that i do my paint and body work in. I have a window in the back wall and a passage door with a storm door that i open the window on it. The window on the back wall I use old Rheem heaters, blower assembly mounted to the window frame. Wet the floor before painting and i don't get dirt in my paint. Been doing this for the past 7 or 8 years with great results.

I have a 2 car garrage that i do my paint and body work in. I have a window in the back wall and a passage door with a storm door that i open the window on it. The window on the back wall I use old Rheem heaters, blower assembly mounted to the window frame. Wet the floor before painting and i don't get dirt in my paint. Been doing this for the past 7 or 8 years with great results.

Where does the overspray go?

stop polluting,...ant ever started!! only car ive painted was a rustolum roll on deal,..but hope to paint a couple cars one day, as to why im seeking how to do it safely but on budget....got nuff lung damage from my youthful days abusing mind altering chemicals....ant tryin to do any more!

DWB,

I assumed you were spraying paint. Sorry........... My bad!!!

If you have lung problems today you may want to rethink this spray painting idea.

If I can make a suggestion; take a (night school) painter training course, either at a community college or ask one of the refinish reps out there if they still offer these courses. I know they did where I worked but that was a while ago. If you have connections at a collision shop they might bring you on as a painter's helper on a part time basis. You'll be amazed at what you can learn. Your local library has all kinds of refinish books you can read also.

FYI - 95% of making a great painter is "desire". If you have the "desire" you will learn the skills required to be a great painter. I've only met (trained) a handful of painters that had "desire" and these guys were very good at the trade. I had "desire" to spray paint at age 13 and I get the same thrill today (many years later) when I pick up a gun to paint a vehicle. It never goes away.

Good luck with your spray painting endeavors . Paint safely too!!!!

sscuda

ive helped body men get cars ready and all from body work to mixin paint and vacating for fumes fly...all ill ever do be my own junk if an when i can afford it.

I have been working on professional paint booths for a few years now and everything about them is expensive. The zoning laws for auto refinishing are really tough. To set up a makeshift booth can be done but it is not without risk. As previously stated all the lights, controls, motors must be explosion proof. Fire surpression systems are also highly regulated. The amount of red tape to be dealt with to have a legal paint booth is no joke. Even the paint mixing rooms have codes that must be met. I don't know anyone who has been busted for a bootleg paint booth but I imagine if the wrong agency got a hold of you it would be bad.

Last edited:
I have been working on professional paint booths for a few years now and everything about them is expensive. The zoning laws for auto refinishing are really tough. To set up a makeshift booth can be done but it is not without risk. As previously stated all the lights, controls, motors must be explosion proof. Fire surpression systems are also highly regulated. The amount of red tape to be dealt with to have a legal paint booth no joke. Even the paint mixing rooms have codes that must be met. I don't know anyone who has been busted for a bootleg paint booth but I imagine if the wrong agency got a hold of you it would be bad.

You are so right!!

If hobbyists are going to paint in their own facilities I'd like to see them do it safely too. I would rather see these guys take their projects to a reputable bodyshop with a certified paint booth and have them painted there but we all know it's not going to happen.

The crackdown on back yard painting is coming. Careless hobbyists are accelerating the timeline.

Thanks for your post.

I have been doing some "cutting in" work on mine, It has been turning out ok without fans. I am thinking of doint the "blue tarp" tent thing when I shoot the body, and dumping some water on the floor around the car. I dont think I will use a fan either. I think it will stir up too much dirt. even if it is drawing air out. I worked at a Ford dealer as a Flat rate tech. I had Auto body specialties deliver my quarters at work. I got talking to the body shop manager, because the truck driver thought my quarters went to the body shop. I told the body man that I am redoing a car, and eventually I am going to paint it. he said "in your garage?" I said "yeah" he said "you cant do that its illegal" I said "watch me".:thumbsup:

I have been doing some "cutting in" work on mine, It has been turning out ok without fans. I am thinking of doint the "blue tarp" tent thing when I shoot the body, and dumping some water on the floor around the car. I dont think I will use a fan either. I think it will stir up too much dirt. even if it is drawing air out. I worked at a Ford dealer as a Flat rate tech. I had Auto body specialties deliver my quarters at work. I got talking to the body shop manager, because the truck driver thought my quarters went to the body shop. I told the body man that I am redoing a car, and eventually I am going to paint it. he said "in your garage?" I said "yeah" he said "you cant do that its illegal" I said "watch me".:thumbsup:

Well, you have clearly demonstrated to everyone on this forum you have no regard for your personal health or the safety of others. Plus your negative impact on the environment speaks volumes about your character..

But I guess you knew this? Right?

Well, you have clearly demonstrated to everyone on this forum you have no regard for your personal health or the safety of others. Plus your negative impact on the environment speaks volumes about your character..

I know nothing... you didn't work at Fred Beans Ford managing the body shop did ya? The takeaway in my previous post is "people should mind their own 'effin business" P.S, you seem to be worried about death, as if it can be prevented or something. Maybe you should embrace it:lol:

Yeah well, thats just like, your opinion, man....

Last edited:
-
Back