DIY paint booth fan question

-

Darren

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Hey guys in the near future I plan on possibly building a homemade paint booth. My question is I have this big 36" fan, only used once and I have a chance to sell it, can any of you guys forsee me using this for my booth that I possibly might build. I also have 2 or 3 box fans and a furnace blower motor I plan on using.. thanks

Screenshot_2017-05-15-18-16-42.png

Hey guys in the near future I plan on possibly building a homemade paint booth. My question is I have this big 36" fan, only used once and I have a chance to sell it, can any of you guys forsee me using this for my booth that I possibly might build. I also have 2 or 3 box fans and a furnace blower motor I plan on using.. thanks

View attachment 1715048191
Just make sure you use explosion proof electrical equipment.

Maybe I'm crazy, but I've painted three cars in a garage "paint booth" made of blue tarps. With a good respirator, I didn't feel the need for any fan to be pumping dust through the paint area...especially a big monster like that. I kept the respirator on at all times, kept things as still as I could, waited until the coats had set, and then opened up the garage doors to air out. Your box fans and blower are enough.

only way a fan gonna work like it should would be a down draft system in the floor,..any thing else gonna cause lotta trash in your paint job,..better to just drop plastic from ceiling and wet floor!

I used to paint inside.
Now I've to a carport kind of thing.
I wait till the air is relatively still and paint outside under that.
Winter is good. No bugs.
Even though I don't really have to worry too much about long term effects anymore, my health is more important than a little dust in my driver quality paint jobs.
The paint sets up pretty fast anyway.
No more paint fog either.

Use an explosion proof fan. Standard fans the motor is vented for cooling so they can end up drawing paint mist through it. One little spark and that room full of paint fumes will blow the lid off it.

Last edited:
Maybe I'm crazy, but I've painted three cars in a garage "paint booth" made of blue tarps. With a good respirator, I didn't feel the need for any fan to be pumping dust through the paint area...especially a big monster like that. I kept the respirator on at all times, kept things as still as I could, waited until the coats had set, and then opened up the garage doors to air out. Your box fans and blower are enough.
Just bad advice as your skin , eyeballs, etc will absorb isocyanates and anything but a fresh air system really doesn't protect you anyways.

Thanks for the input guys.. like i said I was just wondering if that fan would come in handy.. I knew it was a overkill lol....but you never know when you will need something...

I don't think some realize how dangerous the chemicals are to the body.

Apparently not!!!!

I've contracted isocyanate poisoning twice due to stupidity at a young age and it felt like a 800 lb bear was sitting on my chest for months. I couldn't breath. I was on oxygen 24/7. I broke out in ugly rashes. I almost ruined my career. I don't get close to paint booths anymore other than to do my own stuff and I suit up like I'm going into space and my lungs still tingle a little bit afterwards (nerves) For you guys who think you're "bullet proof" , you're not, you're stupid. If you have a family and pulling this crap you're very stupid. .................Nuff said!!!!!

As far as the negative environmental impact you're very irresponsible.

sscuda

Apparently not!!!!

I've contracted isocyanate poisoning twice due to stupidity at a young age and it felt like a 800 lb bear was sitting on my chest for months. I couldn't breath. I was on oxygen 24/7. I broke out in ugly rashes. I almost ruined my career. I don't get close to paint booths anymore other than to do my own stuff and I suit up like I'm going into space and my lungs still tingle a little bit afterwards (nerves) For you guys who think you're "bullet proof" , you're not, you're stupid. If you have a family and pulling this crap you're very stupid. .................Nuff said!!!!!

sscuda
I did too. I am hyper sensitive to it even during mixing and around open cans.

The list goes on and on as to the dangers. Respitory damage, brain damage, liver damage, central nervous system damage....

Apparently not!!!!

sscuda
what kinda paint yall useing?? i know imron and urethane's are hard but i never use them,..just centarie enamel hope my lungs dont f'up!

Everyone's is different
I know a guy painted 30 years without a mask and he's relatively fine for an 80 year old man.

I don't think one can assume just because one does his own paint and body that he is doing it without protection.
I have been painting cars since I was 25 years old and it might not be in a booth but never without protection.
Guess it could still kill me though but at 70 I think it will be my knees first, or maybe red wine-------------

they are correct bought the bad effects of the materials, especially if you are allergic to them. iso CYANIDE!! and yes the paint is explosive, fortunately, I have never blown myself up, just lucky.
in an enclosed area, like the tarp garage deal, you are building more and more fumes that remain, the respirator only does so much, but like said, YOU absorb this crap thru your EYES and SKIN. at a REAL pro auto paint store, or on line, you can get a paper suit, that helps, only helps... I have tried goggles, but have had little luck seeing thru them as I fog them up, I have never had a FULL face mask respirator, probably should have!
I am ol d and woreout, but for you younger guys and girls, a fresh air suit is a good investment.

I have used with really good results, products from TCP Global out of Ca. they have some products that are lower ISO. the ISO bothers me.

I suggest if you use a regular fan have it outside blowing air into the booth through a filter. Positive pressure instead of sucking vapor through the electric motor. The 36" fan may be too much concentrated air flow unless you can disperse the air flow. I'm currently setting up a temporary sealed paint booth in the garage. Definitely using a good respirator and a ppe.

they are correct bought the bad effects of the materials, especially if you are allergic to them. iso CYANIDE!! and yes the paint is explosive, fortunately, I have never blown myself up, just lucky.
in an enclosed area, like the tarp garage deal, you are building more and more fumes that remain, the respirator only does so much, but like said, YOU absorb this crap thru your EYES and SKIN. at a REAL pro auto paint store, or on line, you can get a paper suit, that helps, only helps... I have tried goggles, but have had little luck seeing thru them as I fog them up, I have never had a FULL face mask respirator, probably should have!
I am ol d and woreout, but for you younger guys and girls, a fresh air suit is a good investment.

I have used with really good results, products from TCP Global out of Ca. they have some products that are lower ISO. the ISO bothers me.

barbee, the by-product of an cyanide is a cyanate. The health issue is labelled as iso-cyanate poisoning ...........NOT ISO - CYANIDE

The cyanate ion is an anion with the chemical formula written as [OCN]− or [NCO]−. In aqueous solution it acts as a base, forming isocyanic acid, HNCO. The cyanate ion is an ambidentate ligand, forming complexes with a metal ion in which either the nitrogen or oxygen atom may be the electron-pair donor. It can also act as a bridging ligand. Organic cyanates are called isocyanates when there is a C−NCO bond and cyanates when there is a C−OCN bond.

Thank you for the narrative.

Anything that has a catalyst, hardener, activator has Iso's in it.

All coatings contain harmful chemicals even the waterborne coatings.

2K catalysts contain iso-cyanates (NOT CYANIDES) and are extremely harmful to humans if precautions aren't taken. Always read the label of any product you use and use the appropriate precautions.

I sound like I'm harping at everyone on here but I don't want to see anyone get hurt or worse. I was stupid too once!!!!

And to the two gentlemen who know old painters. Tell them they are stupid and very lucky to be on this side of the dirt. I have known painters too and a very few of them made it past 40.

As far as the negative environmental impact because the overspray wasn't trapped during the paint job, you guys should think long and hard about what you're doing.

sscuda

All coatings contain harmful chemicals even the waterborne coatings.

2K catalysts contain iso-cyanates (NOT CYANIDES) and are extremely harmful to humans if precautions aren't taken. Always read the label of any product you use and use the appropriate precautions.

I sound like I'm harping at everyone on here but I don't want to see anyone get hurt or worse. I was stupid too once!!!!

And to the two gentlemen who know old painters. Tell them they are stupid and very lucky to be on this side of the dirt. I have known painters too and a very few of them made it past 40.

As far as the negative environmental impact because the overspray wasn't trapped during the paint job, you guys should think long and hard about what you're doing.

sscuda

Well, you can't really preach this stuff enough and sometimes I feel like I'm harping also. You sound like the guy that used to come into the shop for the "right to know" seminars. lol Yeah, all of it is bad stuff. The non-believers need to sit down with an MSDS sheet and thoroughly read through it and read the laundry list of chemicals and metals, dangers, etc. I was also stupid when I was young. Painting 6-8 cars a day, all day, everyday. 16-18 y/o wasn't nothing for me to walk in the booth and spray a coat of base on a couple panels and walk out never putting a mask on. Too busy with the $$hustle, mixing paint for the next one, keeping my preppers on track, checking over bodywork etc.

I myself don't know any 80 year old painters, or 60, or 50 for that matter either. A few I knew and the ones that mentored me are gone. Now I wait for the time bomb. Docs checking my liver and kidney functions every 6 months. Chest x-rays every so often. Some short term memory issues, and they're telling me i developed ADD as an adult.

The environment concerns are real. If you can smell it you're being exposed from the time you open the can till the paint finished curing. Overspray is funny. It will creep through any tiny little crevice or orifice it can get through. If you're painting in your attached garage and the wife is hollering she smells paint, she, the kids, or whomever is being exposed for at least the next few hours. I'm sure some painting at home are a little more careful, but some comments show some blatant disregard for not only oneself, but for the people around them.

and now I'm a long way away from blowing your house up with a box fan.

Last edited:
-
Back