DIY Toe-In tool w/pics

-

KitCarlson

Reaction score
More than 40 years ago I took my Dodge to get an alignment done by well recommend shop. He had the best equipment at the time, yet did the toe-in in a simple way. He jacked each front wheel off the ground, and marked the center with chalk, then used a sharp scribe to make a fine track, at the center of the tire by rotating the wheel. He then used a measuring device to measure between the tracks, rear and front. He also did the T-Bar height, camber and caster too, but that is another story.

Typical alignment specs are 0 to 1/8" toe-in at the front. I find 1/16" works well.

I built a simple adjustable tool using a couple sizes of steel square tubing, an aluminum, two nails, and three set screws. Three brackets were fabricated that side onto the aluminum tube. The brackets fasten in place with set screw. The third bracket serves as a stand. The idea of the tool, is to make consistent measurements, front and rear. If a tape measure is used for measurement it must always be parallel to the ground and at the same height, or the measurement will be off. To use the tool, start with rear of front tires, set the nails to the tire center mark, then move to the front and compare. A 1/16" is the diameter of the nail so it is easy to estimate.

My particular tire tread has an OEM scribe in the center, so I use it.

Attachments

• ToeMeas1.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 468
  • toept.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 432
  • tire.jpg
    185 KB · Views: 468
It's old school but quite accurate. Good job on the tow gauge you built. tmm

More than 40 years ago I took my Dodge to get an alignment done by well recommend shop. He had the best equipment at the time, yet did the toe-in in a simple way. He jacked each front wheel off the ground, and marked the center with chalk, then used a sharp scribe to make a fine track, at the center of the tire by rotating the wheel. He then used a measuring device to measure between the tracks, rear and front. He also did the T-Bar height, camber and caster too, but that is another story.

Typical alignment specs are 0 to 1/8" toe-in at the front. I find 1/16" works well.

I built a simple adjustable tool using a couple sizes of steel square tubing, an aluminum, two nails, and three set screws. Three brackets were fabricated that side onto the aluminum tube. The brackets fasten in place with set screw. The third bracket serves as a stand. The idea of the tool, is to make consistent measurements, front and rear. If a tape measure is used for measurement it must always be parallel to the ground and at the same height, or the measurement will be off. To use the tool, start with rear of front tires, set the nails to the tire center mark, then move to the front and compare. A 1/16" is the diameter of the nail so it is easy to estimate.

My particular tire tread has an OEM scribe in the center, so I use it.

i have to say not many people around that remember the old way im 67yo and learned that way when i was lets sau around 15yo the difference was i would spin the tire and while it was spinning i would spray it with WHITE paint then i had a block of wood i took a nail drove it into the block then cut off the head ground i nice sharp point on the nail then set it on the floor with the point just touching the tire spin the tire nice line that would go away as you use it but they work well

When the front tires have straight channels like yours, I just use a tape measure front to rear. When by myself, I use duct tape to hold it on the other side. The main problem is you can't go up too high on the back side without bumping into things. I try to measure at the same height up on both sides. You are shooting for a very slight toe-in, plus try to get the steering wheel centered. I set a 1/16" difference since my front ends have new parts. Toe-in is just to compensate for slight play, so the wheels are perfectly straight when driving. For FWD cars, set a very slight toe-out. A 1/16" adjustment barely moves the tie-rod couplers (<1/8" turn), so I doubt an alighment shop could or would do any better. The sad fact is that as the height changes over time, it affects the toe-in, so it needs regular adjustment to stay perfect.

Nice info,all.posts. Bill's style,the way I was taught.This thread has good info,bump.

-
Back