Do flat paint jobs hide imperfections better ?

-

yeah

The gang’s all here
Reaction score
Hey guys , question to all the painters/body work guys . I know that the lighter the color paint job the less imperfections it will show . But how about flat or semi gloss paints . Do they hide imperfections better ? So for example a light gray gloss paint job, and a flat light gray paint job . Which one will be better to hide more imperfections ?

Thanks .

I always thought flat paint jobs made imperfections more easily seen, probably wrong as I'm not a painter though.

Flat paint does hide imperfections better. My Dakota has been primer grey for years and it has hail damage. It's really hard to notice unless you are up close.

Also with a gloss paint you will notice dings easier in the sun because the altered surface geometry will reflect the light in different directions.

Yes it hides imperfections better. Wouldn't you rather do a better job than hide your mistakes? Those flat paints are a refuge for bad craftsmanship. JMO

I've seen the worst tiger stripped and what not flat paint jobs, and high dollar satin jobs done over pristine panels. To me, nothing beats a pristine satin black properly done paint job. I saw a 63 falcon pickup with an almost perfect satin job and almost left with it that day. Luckily for my savings it had sold an hour earlier.

Hey guys , thanks for the responses . I kinda figured that the lighter flat paint jobs would hide imperfections better . The reason I was asking is . I did all the body work on my car took forever . It looks pretty good at least to me . Now I like both flat paints and gloss paints. I'm not a body man so I feel like I should go with the safest choice of color , just in case I messed up my body work in some areas. If I had money than this would not be a issue haha.

flat paint might hide imperfections, but since it looks like crap compared to glossy paint it's sort of a trade off:angel4:

Haha , yea I've seen some bad flat paint jobs , but then really good ones also . I guess it depends on who paints it . I'm just trying to figure out what the best choice is .

One time I thought I could hide body flaws on the side of one of my Dart Sports with flat black paint.
NOT!
Light colors hide.
Dark colors, not so much.

I've seen the worst tiger stripped and what not flat paint jobs, and high dollar satin jobs done over pristine panels. To me, nothing beats a pristine satin black properly done paint job. I saw a 63 falcon pickup with an almost perfect satin job and almost left with it that day. Luckily for my savings it had sold an hour earlier.

This bears, mentioning. If you want just a flat non common color , Check out Summit & Eastwood. Different colors & catalyst based( more uniform flow out,better durability).

-
Back