Do gas pedals go bad?

-

gtxdude

Reaction score
Out tinkering with car, I push gas pedal (65 Dart) all the way down and it stuck! So then I proceed to push it up & down and it sticks when all the or almost all the way to floor. I put a little grease in back where pedal and rod rub that didn't help. Have no idea how long it's been like that, just cruising it would be fine but if you floored it, it could stick, not good. Do pedals wear out and are there new ones out there to replace it. thanks

Have you checked your linkage at the carb? Might have a friction point that's hanging up the pedal.

Check throttle cable and linkage. Disconnect throttle linkage and go wot by hand, if it stick there is a issue with the carb

Yes and often at the most inopportune moments. I had the cable fray inside the sleeve on my 69 Dart 440+6 the day I drove it to work 20 miles out. Made it to a friends house with the throttle stuck about half way but turning the key on and off shifting to neutral and about blew up the mufflers!

Looked at some pedals on ebay and it looks like I have a /6 pedal in car,it has that piece at top of pedal and the V8 pedals don't have that. I'm guessing when they switched car to V8 years ago they never changed pedal and just made it work. (318 in car)

I'm still running the slant cable in the 68 with a v-8. It puts more of a bend in it than it was engineered for thus increasing wear and shortening the life of the cable.

Please note; The earliest didn't have a free throttle return slot in the throttle pressure linkage. That caused a lot of WOT conditions and collisions. I don't recall what year they changed this but... If you don't have the long slot piece in the throttle pressure linkage, add one.

Only as the result of the application of excessive force, of a heavy right foot pushing it thru floor boards!:)

check from pedal to carb...never seen a pedal go "bad"...just the hardware connections

I had a gas pedal go bad once...

the brake pedal filed for a divorce from him, he got depressed and started drinking very heavily... then would show up late for work... I had to fire him....

-
Back