Do I have to re-balance this 360

-
PAW... Was Awesome... Use to by 392 parts from them....lol
Hope you find someone close to get your stuff balanced... :)

Yes they were. It's a shame now they are completely gone.

I was digging through my garage looking to see what I had laying around to build a motor with and I dug up a 360 block I had that is bored .040 and its been align bored and square decked and new cam bearings and freeze plugs are installed. I found a new set of small block rods and a set of Kieth Black 107 pistons to put in it. Stock 360 crank cleaned up standard. I slid one piston and rod in and checked the deck and it will be zero decked when assembled. My question is with the KB 107 pistons that have a weight of 524 grams for piston and 132 for the pin require a re-balance before I assemble it? I looked up a stock 360 piston weight and it said 584 grams and I'm assuming that includes the pin. Getting a motor balanced around here is like pulling teeth, last time I took one to the machine shop I ended up going back 2 and a half years later and picking it up with nothing done. I'd like to have this motor running before April. Any thoughts?

With humble respects Sir, from My old tired memory....
The 107's repops (pistons) are 'neutral offset' at the pin/rod small end.
Read rotating mass is dependent upon offset...
(a discussion for another time)
Succinct to say, My humble opine, unless You are trying to turn > 7k rpm
just build & run.

Closer than SoCal, where at in Georgia? Im heading to Florida in a couple of weeks, I could drop it on the way down.

Closer than SoCal, where at in Georgia? Im heading to Florida in a couple of weeks, I could drop it on the way down.

You surely could. Reeves RPM Performance in Warner Robins. Steve Reeves is the owner. Let me know if you come through. We'll have lunch somewhere.

Here is their web site.

http://www.reevesrpmperformance.com/

I think PAW just sells early hemi online now via Ebay. Talk about downsizing! I remember driving 70 miles up to Chatsworth for a Predator carb rebuild kit, only place in USA that had them in stock.

I think PAW just sells early hemi online now via Ebay. Talk about downsizing! I remember driving 70 miles up to Chatsworth for a Predator carb rebuild kit, only place in USA that had them in stock.

Not anymore. He went out last year.

Not anymore. He went out last year.

About 25 years ago a friend of mine bought their "race prepped" small block Chevy rods and they were junk. He got a mix of 350 and 283 rods, the close and hone was terrible and the clearances were all over the place....They all just went in the bin.
Glad they bit the dust, did everyone a favor ..

With humble respects Sir, from My old tired memory....
The 107's repops (pistons) are 'neutral offset' at the pin/rod small end.
Read rotating mass is dependent upon offset...
(a discussion for another time)
Succinct to say, My humble opine, unless You are trying to turn > 7k rpm
just build & run.

What he said...........

It's not a MUST, you don't HAVE to, it's not the end of the world if you don't re-balance.....IT IS a good idea to do so, but if you've had problems in the past, have had difficulties, you can survive. Out of the factory Mopars were not noted for having great balance jobs to begin with, don't ever recall hearing about how the engines were gonna frag themselves because of it. The 584 gram spec does not include the pin.

I'm wondering about piston to wall clearance; were the cylinders honed to the pistons or was/is it a case of this was laying here, and that was laying there and why not put it all together. KB hypers don't like a lot of wall clearance, .004 in is the spec max if foggy memory serves me right. Run them too loose and get piston slap and MAY-BE ( not saying you WILL) break a skirt. I would be more concerned about that than the balance.

Good luck!

Well, I guess this problem just ended because I sold the car I was going to put it in. I will probably just take all the parts to Indy this weekend and sell them. I'm getting tired of all my old projects and trying to get rid of them and focus on something new. If anybody is in Indy stop by and see us. I'll probably be the only guy there selling honey.

-
Back