Do I keep it? Or trash it?

-

78kitcar

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Well long story short i picked up my 340 from the shop where it baked and pressure checked.Good news is it cleaned up real nice and no cracks BAD news is 4 cyclinders need sleeves(OUCH) he gave me an estimate of about $650 to do the sleeves and re-coil a few of the head bolts.He and the guy who is building the engine/motor both told me to trash it and buy a 360 magnum motor so i would like some advise DO I KEEP IT OR TRASH IT ????
If i keep it i will have about $1000 just in the block. $200 for the block $150 for bake and p/t and $650 in sleeve's thanks guys

Don't trash it! I assume this isn't a matching #'s 340 for you, so it might be for somebody else. I'm personally not one of those "#'s matching" types, I would still go with a 360 for your build because you can pick them up cheap (there's a shortblock and a complete engine near me, short for $50 and the full for $125) and realistically everything that's better in the 340 (higher compression etc) can be changed during the rebuild. But either hang on to or just sell the 340 block as is, you can probably still get most of your $200 back out of it and more than likely there's someone out there that wants it...

I would find a new engine builder.

Some of this come down to..... Do you want to tell people you have a 340 or a 360 in your car. Both engines can built nice.

Did your builder tell you he could find a nice 360 and get rid of that bad 340 for you?

I would find a new engine builder.

Some of this come down to..... Do you want to tell people you have a 340 or a 360 in your car. Both engines can built nice.

Did your builder tell you he could find a nice 360 and get rid of that bad 340 for you?

That was my first impression but no he never told me that. He told me to find one off craigs list

Why do you think i need to find a new engine builder???

Oh.... If you are going to get rid of the 340, get all the numbers off of it (Date code and so on) and post it on here. It may be exactly what someone is looking for.

If it is a matching numbers engine, I would do what ever it takes to use it. IMO, I would rather have a 340 than a 360.

Because the 340 has a larger bore than the 360, I'd be inclined to keep it. Don't know if you plan to bore the engine out further than stock specs. Don't know what your end use is for the engine (daily driver, race, show car), nor do I know what heads and crank you plan to install. I'd avoid boring out this block if it's going in a race car.

Most LA stroker cranks I've seen can be had with either 340 or 360 journals. For the same stroke, the 340 will be larger.

That is a little high on the sleeves. I was quoted 600.00 for 8 sleeves and decking the block. Hang on to it if you don't use it. You may have a use for it later.

Oh.... If you are going to get rid of the 340, get all the numbers off of it (Date code and so on) and post it on here. It may be exactly what someone is looking for.

Will do!

If it is a matching numbers engine, I would do what ever it takes to use it. IMO, I would rather have a 340 than a 360.

No john it not numbers matching.Wish it was!!!!

That is a little high on the sleeves. I was quoted 600.00 for 8 sleeves and decking the block. Hang on to it if you don't use it. You may have a use for it later.

I guess i could get some other estimates would'nt hurt

Because the 340 has a larger bore than the 360, I'd be inclined to keep it. Don't know if you plan to bore the engine out further than stock specs. Don't know what your end use is for the engine (daily driver, race, show car), nor do I know what heads and crank you plan to install. I'd avoid boring out this block if it's going in a race car.

Most LA stroker cranks I've seen can be had with either 340 or 360 journals. For the same stroke, the 340 will be larger.

My idea was to do what was needed to get low to mid 12's what im looking to build is a mostly original street racer full interior air conditioned 16'' rims drag radials blah blah blah

Keep it,I did a small stroke with my 340.A 360 crank 3.58 with p@p X heads.Dynoed at 452 hp,I have a 4 speed and ran [email protected] should be down in low 12,s with that mph.Guess I,ll keep trying LOL!Good Luck!

Well i called a few machine shops and was told,
first one told me $200 a hole and also say's it should be line honed.
second guy he would'nt touch it because it needing so many sleeve's it would weaken the block and he did'nt want to be lieable.
third guy would'nt give me an answer he told me i was wasting my money.
what to do ? what to do??

Given what you've said about intended use, I recommend you sell the 340 to someone who needs it for a show car. Get a good 360 core, poke it and stroke it. That's my 2¢ worth.

Thanks guys.I think she's going up for sale hopefully someone can use it!

Thanks dart-swinger i think im gonna go 360 with a stroker kit.This should make for a fun cruiser!!:tonqe:

-
Back