do i need thermastat

-

gotdust57@yahoo

Reaction score
i have 73 360 duster and dont use heater core do i still need to use thermastat? thanks

Yes, or your engine will never warm to operating temperature. Two things happen here: first, the oil will become acidic because you cannot burn off the condensation, second the thermostat slows the water flow through the engine allowing it to pick up the heat. The thermostat has NOTHING to do with your heater, only the radiator.

The factory installed thermostats on heater-delete race Hemi and Max Wedge cars. You need one.

my Dad is old school and he did to mine what he allways didi to his and it seems to work, although I'm entirely sure of the pont. He took all the internals out of the thermostat and put it back in. I'm not saying thats what you should do, but its something I've seen done.

You can do that, Moroso also makes a stainless steel disk with a hole in it called a flow restrictor to serve the same porpose. On a pure drag race engine I can see it. On the street, you need to let the engine get to temperature. Spend the $3 on a thermostat.

dartgt73 said:
my Dad is old school and he did to mine what he allways didi to his and it seems to work, although I'm entirely sure of the pont. He took all the internals out of the thermostat and put it back in. I'm not saying thats what you should do, but its something I've seen done.

This would be a restrictor and is what I do on circle track motors. This does not lend itself well to a street car that sees different driving environments and weather conditions though. It is better although than not running anything.

Chuck

thanks all i will diffenetly put it back great help as always. thanks again

I run a gutted t-stat, to help restrict the flow, Mopar clutch fan assem, fan shroud, 8-vane rebuilt NAPA water pump, 26" stock rad, 1-pint of Purple Ice with a 30% mix of anti-freeze. All this in a flat top 360, Eldo heads, solid cam, 9 1/2 convertor, 3:91 gear, Dart Sport. This car runs 11.80's in street trim. I just drove it today. With temps in the 90 degree range, it ran 180 degrees in traffic. It ran 170 on the hiway. It does take a little longer to come up to operating temp, this is from having a restricter instead of a t-stat. I also do not run a heater core.

-
Back