Do I need to pull the tranny?

-

MB43

Reaction score
Hey Chris (or whoever can help) -

I'm going to replacing the valve body and the torque converter in my tranny sometime in the next week or two. I was planning on pulling the transmission out of the car to do it. But do I need to? Can I swap these parts with it still in the car?

Depends. I believe if your just installing the valve body no. If you have to change a lever 5.0 to 3.8 or 4.2 yes.
:scratch: Besides I thought you were also changing your
torque convertor?

onehellofadart said:
Depends. I believe if your just installing the valve body no. If you have to change a lever 5.0 to 3.8 or 4.2 yes.
:scratch: Besides I thought you were also changing your
torque convertor?

I'm not changing the lever.

I'm changing the converter, too. That's why I said:

I'm going to replacing the valve body and the torque converter

:salut:

Well if the converter has to be changed then yes the tranny has to come out but i dont think that u need to change the valvebody with it out of the car my uncle did it to my new tranny when i was a little kid so i cant remember if it was in the car or not

Well, if I have to pull it to change the converter, I'll do the valve body with it out of the car. I can't just slide the tranny back and change the converter? I thought I heard about people doing it that way.

The wife just called and said I have a heavy box from Performance Torque Converters sitting on the front porch. Woohoo!

mikelbeck said:
Well, if I have to pull it to change the converter, I'll do the valve body with it out of the car. I can't just slide the tranny back and change the converter? I thought I heard about people doing it that way.
Ive heard my dad talking about doint like this but ive never seen it done :scratch: i dont see how that would be a prob if u where to do it like that :salut:
MIKE

That's where my tranny is right now. Sitting on my floor jack just pulled back far enough to get the converter out.
I'm waiting for my parts delivery, should be here tomorrow or wednesday.

sure no probems big floor jack under transmission its even better if you are putting a bigg pice of wood betven the oilpan and the floor jack and keep the enginge up whit you enginelift! then its preaty easy!

mikelbeck said:

I'm going to replacing the valve body and the torque converter in my tranny sometime in the next week or two. I was planning on pulling the transmission out of the car to do it. But do I need to? Can I swap these parts with it still in the car?

Hi Mikel,

If you're going to have it out of the car, I would do the valve body and billet L/R piston install on the bench. Much easier this way, IMO.

BTW your stuff is on the way! :salut:

Duster346 said:
mikelbeck said:

Hi Mikel,

If you're going to have it out of the car, I would do the valve body and billet L/R piston install on the bench. Much easier this way, IMO.

The billet what now?

You da man!

I'm hoping it comes with instructions...

mikelbeck said:
Duster346 said:
mikelbeck said:

Hi Mikel,

The billet what now?

You da man!

Hello guy from lawn guyland,

In your package will be a new billet aluminum low/reverse servo. It's needed for the higher pressure valve bodies, as the OEM cast aluminum pistons are prone to cracking.

It needs to be installed while the old VB is out, and you'll also have to loosen the rear band. Also, the servo is shimmed, and the spring is discarded. Call with any questions. :thumleft: :salut: :wink:

Duster346 said:
mikelbeck said:
Duster346 said:
mikelbeck said:

Hi Mikel,

The billet what now?

You da man!

In your package will be a new billet aluminum low/reverse servo. It's needed for the higher pressure valve bodies, as the OEM cast aluminum pistons are prone to cracking.

It needs to be installed while the old VB is out, and you'll also have to loosen the rear band. Also, the servo is shimmed, and the spring is discarded. Call with any questions. :thumleft: :salut: :wink:

In the package is there also instructions about what I need to do?

mikelbeck said:
Duster346 said:
mikelbeck said:
Duster346 said:
mikelbeck said:

Hi Mikel,

The billet what now?

You da man!

In the package is there also instructions about what I need to do?

Yes. :thumleft:

:scratch: Instructions :scratch: We don't read no stinking
instructions :tongue:
But apon completion we ask, "Now why won't this work?"
:twisted:

Duster346 said:
Yes. :thumleft:

What's that thing I keep saying?

Oh yeah...

YOU DA MAN! :thumrigh: :thumleft: :thumrigh: :thumleft:

Hey Mikel,

What did you get from Chris? I got the A&A manual reverse valve body with the check ball, (for street use), and the Billet L/R piston. Also a speedo gear. I am going to start rebuilding my tranny in about 10 days. Maybe we can learn from each others trials and tribulations. LOL

Jack

Coyote Jack said:
Hey Mikel,

What did you get from Chris? I got the A&A manual reverse valve body with the check ball, (for street use), and the Billet L/R piston. Also a speedo gear. I am going to start rebuilding my tranny in about 10 days. Maybe we can learn from each others trials and tribulations. LOL

Jack

I'm not exactly sure... I think I got the A&A reverse manual valve body, I don't know about a check ball. And a "new billet aluminum low/reverse servo".

Duster346 said:
Mikel got the -2 reverse manual VB without the check ball for the 2-1 downshift... :bball:

Got a box today... Woohoo! \:D/

But no decals? And no instructions for the valve body? :poke:

mikelbeck said:
Duster346 said:
Mikel got the -2 reverse manual VB without the check ball for the 2-1 downshift... :bball:

Hey Mikel,

I'll send the instructions in .doc form via e-mail so you can print them out. It will be next week sometime though. I am in the process of moving into a new shop, and we are still setting up computers, phone lines, internet access, etc etc etc etc. Some stuff is here, and some is there .. so its a mess.

Your decals and dipstick will be on the way here shortly!

Duster346 said:
mikelbeck said:
Duster346 said:

Hey Mikel,

I'll send the instructions in .doc form via e-mail so you can print them out. It will be next week sometime though. I am in the process of moving into a new shop, and we are still setting up computers, phone lines, internet access, etc etc etc etc. Some stuff is here, and some is there .. so its a mess.

Your decals and dipstick will be on the way here shortly!

Cool, thanks. I'm hoping to get the tranny out of the car one night next week... Maybe Monday, perhaps Tuesday, more likely Wednesday or even Thursday. Could be Friday, you never know. ;-)

-
Back