Do I wait for the 5 speed?

-
I've had the opposite experience with an A833OD. I run mine with a 3.21 rear gear and while I do wish for a better drop from 1 to 2, I think it is fine and drives great. Cruises at 65 @ 2000 rpm and does fine around town.

There is better, no argument. But now that I am putting the T56 I bought in a different car I have no plans to do anything to the drivetrain on my '74.
You obviously have something with some balls in front of the transmission. I've preached it for years the 833OD is a great transmission, you just have to have something that has some nads so it doesn't lug. Course, it usually falls on deaf ears. lol

You obviously have something with some balls in front of the transmission. I've preached it for years the 833OD is a great transmission, you just have to have something that has some nads so it doesn't lug. Course, it usually falls on deaf ears. lol

LA 360 with rebuilder pistons (8.5:1 or worse), Mopar R/T heads, RPM intake, Carter 1406, Bullet Cams regrind (206/210 @ 0.050, 262/267 advertised, .517/.520, HR), cast iron freeflows, dual exhaust. I wish it has some compression, it's pretty mild for what it is. Fun, but I wouldn't say it has some balls. But it is easy to drive and the 1-2 shift doesn't seem to bother it.

The trans does need syncros, at least 2nd gear. Get's hard to shift into 2nd at the top of the RPM band. But it's coming out soon as I get healed up enough as it also sticks in 4th some and I want to get that fixed before I get stranded somewhere.

LA 360 with rebuilder pistons (8.5:1 or worse), Mopar R/T heads, RPM intake, Carter 1406, Bullet Cams regrind (206/210 @ 0.050, 262/267 advertised, .517/.520, HR), cast iron freeflows, dual exhaust. I wish it has some compression, it's pretty mild for what it is. Fun, but I wouldn't say it has some balls. But it is easy to drive and the 1-2 shift doesn't seem to bother it.

The trans does need syncros, at least 2nd gear. Get's hard to shift into 2nd at the top of the RPM band. But it's coming out soon as I get healed up enough as it also sticks in 4th some and I want to get that fixed before I get stranded somewhere.
I would. I bet it has every bit of 360 or more LBFT. That's a nice street engine you'll never have to worry about detonating. Smart.

So We have had the same experience, just opposite opinions, I found the splits & shifting agonizing. I'd be willing to bet with telemetry, each shift took 3-4× longer, which came up pretty quick w 4.89's.

I've read about some of the horror stories but my experience with the passon 5 spd is I love it. No issues with it jumping out of gear. Initially what I did experience was a clunking when shifting from 2nd to 3rd. Clunk would disappear after a 15 to 20 minutes of operation. This seemed to occur in cooler weather. After talking to Jammie and trying to figure out what was occurring, this included removing Trans and taking back for inspection. Nothing apparently seemed to be wrong. Same result, clunky at times when cold. Shortly after this they came up with a different type of gear oil and it cured the issue. Can't recall the brand or type at the moment but I have it documented. As for the price, yes it's expensive but so is everything else today and tomorrow. Was a bit of a pain in the beginning but I'm happy and glad I went with the 5spd. Running 3:55 rear gears and cruises effortlessly at 75 mph and up. I drive the duster 7 hrs to Carlisle and other long distance cruises. Hopefully if you purchase one you will have positive experience also. Good luck with your decision.
Please let us know which oil cured your problem

Please let us know which oil cured your problem
This is the product recommended. Seems to have cured the problem.

20240425_071846.jpg

Looks like an R4 Swinger there! Care to share any pics?
You're close, it's actually a Y3 ?? I believe 340 swinger. Very rough. Trying to decide what should I do with it. Not much left but it is a real 4spd car with a nice build Sheet, body numbers match.

20240422_163705.jpg

20240422_163726.jpg

20240422_163740.jpg

20240422_163658.jpg

I wouldn't do any business with Passon. There is a 19 page post on here about the A855-5 Speed by Matthon. It's about all the **** he had to go thru. You better sit down and take the time to read all 19 pages. It started on Aug 26, 2019- Nov 11, 2023. It might save you some grief!
If i would stick to that story that i think is WAY too much overrated, i would not buy anything from anyone. I would not deal with that Matthon either. I own one A855 since 2017 and i am very pleased about it. A tough piece of engineering that fit without major surgery to do. Glad of my choice and no regrets.

I am to the point where I am going to put my 71 Dart together. I really want the Passon 5 speed but they seem as though they aren't going to be available for quite some time. I was thinking about putting an aluminum 4 speed together with the Passon 18 spline OD kit but would prefer the 5 speed. The OD kit is also not inexpensive so even though the 5 speed is quite a bit more I would rather bite the bullet and spend the money on the 5 speed put it in and be done with it. What I would like to know is has anyone run both the Passon OD unit and the 5 speed to let me know if the tradeoff is worth or not worth the difference. I do plan on driving the car alot and only want to do this once.
Why not TKX 5spd?
I am to the point where I am going to put my 71 Dart together. I really want the Passon 5 speed but they seem as though they aren't going to be available for quite some time. I was thinking about putting an aluminum 4 speed together with the Passon 18 spline OD kit but would prefer the 5 speed. The OD kit is also not inexpensive so even though the 5 speed is quite a bit more I would rather bite the bullet and spend the money on the 5 speed put it in and be done with it. What I would like to know is has anyone run both the Passon OD unit and the 5 speed to let me know if the tradeoff is worth or not worth the difference. I do plan on driving the car alot and only want to do this once.
Why wait for Passion? The TKX is amazing and it's readily available. I originally looked at Passion, but read one too many negative stories for me. Just over a week ago, I had a close ratio Tremec TKX installed with a McLeod hydraulic clutch. Alongside the QA1 suspension, its the best thing I've ever done to this car. It has completely changed the car. Doing 80mph in my 52yr old Duster with 3.91 gears, is just awesome. Best of both worlds. The TKX is compact, but does require a little surgery, but not too bad. After experiencing the install and the results, I'd make the same choice again. Best of luck whichever you choose.

Why not TKX 5spd?

Why wait for Passion? The TKX is amazing and it's readily available. I originally looked at Passion, but read one too many negative stories for me. Just over a week ago, I had a close ratio Tremec TKX installed with a McLeod hydraulic clutch. Alongside the QA1 suspension, its the best thing I've ever done to this car. It has completely changed the car. Doing 80mph in my 52yr old Duster with 3.91 gears, is just awesome. Best of both worlds. The TKX is compact, but does require a little surgery, but not too bad. After experiencing the install and the results, I'd make the same choice again. Best of luck whichever you choose.

Got any pictures of the TKX install? Did you install the QA1 suspension because mods / removal of torsion bar suspension was necessary? Did you have to modify the tunnel to get it to fit? What kind of shifter did you use and does it come out in the stock location?

Go with a TKX 5 spd.

Got any pictures of the TKX install? Did you install the QA1 suspension because mods / removal of torsion bar suspension was necessary? Did you have to modify the tunnel to get it to fit? What kind of shifter did you use and does it come out in the stock location?
This thread has some pictures:

Convince me to put a TKX in my Dart

-
Back