Do spark plug tube leak oil?

-

johnparts

Slammed 1
Reaction score
So thursday I was prepping the car for the CMC show in Belvidere this weekend and I steam cleaned my engine( it amazes me what can be hidden under all of that 35 year old engine grime) The thing didn't look so bad but today I went out there because I smelled a bit of oil. I replaced the Valve cover gasket 2 weeks ago and I wanted to see if that was leaking again but the valve cover looks clean. I'm getting a bit of oil out of the #3 spark plug tube right above the distributor or at least that where I think is the begining of the leak. I'm 33 and have been a mechanic for 14 years but I didn't think that there was a gasket on the tubes. IS there a way to fix this leak?

Yes, they have O-rings at the top lip of the tubes.

I assume you are talking about a slant-6 motor.

Yeah, you can remove the spark plugs and get the spark plug tube O-rings at the auto parts store.
Usually order and have by the next day.

I replaced mine and also used some clear silicone gasket sealer around each O-ring for added assurance.

Alot of guys take off the spark plug washers if they are removable so they don't distort the spk plug tube.

There are a few articles on this in slant six.org website.

Silicone lubricant or grease for o-rings. I like Cat valve lubricant or Dow Molycote 111 mainly be cause I can get them for free. Silicone lubes makes rubber soft and pliable.

I did mine a while ago and put a little oil on them during the install. The seem to be made of the same stuff that the o-ring on an oil filter is made of. It's amazing how much oil can get out of those seals when they're bad.

I think one thing folks dont remember is you need to remove the spark plug washers (except 60-62). Everyone thinks the plug tubes leak, however if you dont use the washers, your plug tube arent bent and you have fresh tube seals they Wont leak.
Frank

Don't forget the alternator bracket. One of the bolts that holds the thing to the block goes into oil. Put a bit of RTV on the bolt threads before installing it. It's a classic leak point. The oil runs back along the block, and is hard to pinpoint.

CJ

On used seals,when I change spark plugs I flip them over,have stopped drools several times,Mark

Clean the associated parts with Gumout and a rag. Brush on an even coat of Permatex gasket goo.So long as your tubes aren't hopelessly distorted from overtorque, you should be fine.

they have the ability to leak really bad. factory mopar seals suck, they are asymmetrical and poorly made. fel-pro makes a set that are very high quality, checker even stocks them. if the tubes aren't out of whack the fel-pro seals seal right away without any other adhesive or sealant. also a big issue for leaking is the wrong spark plugs. if where the plug seats against the inside of the tube has a larger diameter than the flat spot where they seat, it will bend the tube, pull on the outside lip where the square "o" ring is and cause leakage. when i bought my slant, the tubes leaked something horrible. i bought new tubes, the fel pro seals and the correct plugs and havent had a problem since.

sometimes when pulling the tubes they can hit the lip around the bottom of the valve cover,if this happens,you may have to pop the cover loose..i got my felpro seal kit from advance auto for about 6 bucks..cheap fix...

[/QUOTE] i bought new tubes, the fel pro seals and the correct plugs and havent had a problem since.[/QUOTE]

Where can you buy new tubes? I just struck out at three Pick Your Parts here in LA. Memory Lane, the old car yard went out of business and I can't seem to find a /6 anywhere.

Contact Midi over at slantsix.org He work up at Wildcat Motors and has a good deal on good used at $20 a set plus extras. You can find him in parts wanted section and then just PM him.
Tell him 66aCuda/Frank sent you.:-D
Frank

Biggest problem I've run across that RTV and new seals won't fix is pinholes in the tubes from rust. Powder coating will take care of that, but if you don't want to go through all that I've got a set I'll send you if you don't mind dirty and greasy. PM an address and they're yours.

So thursday I was prepping the car for the CMC show in Belvidere this weekend and I steam cleaned my engine( it amazes me what can be hidden under all of that 35 year old engine grime) The thing didn't look so bad but today I went out there because I smelled a bit of oil. I replaced the Valve cover gasket 2 weeks ago and I wanted to see if that was leaking again but the valve cover looks clean. I'm getting a bit of oil out of the #3 spark plug tube right above the distributor or at least that where I think is the begining of the leak. I'm 33 and have been a mechanic for 14 years but I didn't think that there was a gasket on the tubes. IS there a way to fix this leak?

You should ask "Is the Pope Catholic"....There is a rubber o-ring on each plug tube on your slant 6 and historically they've been a real bear to properly get them sealed against oil leaks.. gasket cement, properly inspect the tubes to be sure you do not have a damaged tube(s) & repair that first, many kinds of butyl rubber compounds have had some success on getting them sealed against leakage, but it's a guessing game. New O-rings with each plug change is pretty much manditory to try to get away from leakage..but good luck. If you find out the magic answer against leakage ..SHARE IT WITH ALL OF US SLANT 6 OWNERS AT .50 CENTS A POP AND YOU'LL MAKE YOURSELF A FORTUNE. Good Luck & let me know first if you find an answer. BILL-Cols,OH
[email protected]

-
Back