Do think three "unrestored" A-Bodies are worth $175K?

-

jimharvard

JimHarvard
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
The following ad is currently running on ebay. I sent the guy a message stating that I thought he was asking a rediculous price for what he was selling and that no A-Body I knew of was worth that kind of money. I suggested to him that he would get a more reaasonable response if he was asking in the $55k to $80k range. Naturally, he sent me back an email basically telling me to go "you know what" myself. Here's the ad - what do you guys think?

Three Project Cars all generally complete 1) convertible 383 Formula S (1 of 17 built) 2) Fastback 383 Formula S (One of a few built) 3) Fastback 340 Cuda' All three have clear titles. All three come with build sheets. convertible drive line has been rebuilt. Fastback only had 47,000 miles when found in Northern California. Both big block cars have all their body work complete. All cars have all their hard to find parts. The small block car has not been touched since the 1970's. FB BB car runs, other two are NOT running. Both big block cars are ready for paint, detailing of original reconditioned parts, and assembly. the small block car is a total project with some rust. Sell only as a package Will send pictures only if the interested party and I talk about the cars first.

One car has been totally dismantled and the body has been reconditioned and all mechanicals are done. One car is 80% complete and runs (has no exhaust) all mechanicals are done. third car is a complete car in need of alot of attention with some rust issues. All around a 7 out of 10 condition (untouched in decades).

Interested? Drop me a note - I am only willing to describe the cars over the phone to serious buyers.

you can price them where you would like to see them go, but in the real world there worth what some 1 will give you , and how bad you need the $ . to all of us 1 day they will not buy another breath of air . Then what do you have ,its all what your into I guess

i think the guy selling 3 dismantled cars which are not as rare as he's claiming is nuts

175k lol that's house money

You can ask whatever you want, doesn't mean you'll get it. I myself think its high but if thats what he wants then thats what he'll try to get.

so... Back in Time...

i respect you opinion. however, i am curious as to why you would respond instantly in a rude and profane manner to someone who is simply offering advice, not really criticisim?

i watch the mopar market very carefully. i respond to guys who are asking astronomical prices for mopars because (1) i think they are not in tune with the realities of the market in 2014 and (2) because i want to try and discourage anyone from helping to put mopar collecting financially out of reach for the average enthusiast. i have no time nor need to simply "argue" with people who i do not know.

again, i understand that everyone has the right to ask any sale's price for their vehicle as they like. obviously, folks have asked prices for cars and parts on FABO that have ellicited emotional responses.

so again i ask, why would you tell someone to "go .... one's self" just because they sent you an email saying that your sale's price was way too high? and please, keep your comment civil.

so again i ask, why would you tell someone to "go .... one's self" just because they sent you an email saying that your sale's price was way too high? and please, keep your comment civil.

Because he really doesn't want to sell them unless they bring what he is asking. You obviously wasn't a buyer at what he is asking, you were just wasting his time so he did something to get you away from him. It probably worked, didn't it?

Maybe he's another ''look what i got'' type of guys.
Perhaps he's going through a divorce and is over pricing things.
Or maybe he's just fishing. (pun intended!)
Why are you so worked up?
Really?

And no, (btw) i don't think they're worth that.
But maybe they are to him.
Do you have a link to the ad to post here?

No disrespect meant to you Jim....I just have a philosophy that it's not anyone's place to "inform" someone you think their price is too high.As stated before you are wasting his time unless you are a buyer. If the prices are out of bounds he will soon find that out when they don't sell.

And no, (btw) i don't think they're worth that.
But maybe they are to him.
Do you have a link to the ad to post here?

No pictures. Disassembled cars. Someone has been watching too much Barrett Jackson.

[ame="http://www.ebay.com/itm/Plymouth-Barracuda-Formula-S-Cuda-packages-1969-barracuda-/131280383268?forcerrptr=true&hash=item1e90ebad24&item=131280383268&pt=US_Cars_Trucks"]http://www.ebay.com/itm/Plymouth-Barracuda-Formula-S-Cuda-packages-1969-barracuda-/131280383268?forcerrptr=true&hash=item1e90ebad24&item=131280383268&pt=US_Cars_Trucks[/ame]

I read his ad, I thought Hemi cars were the holy trail of A body cars. He states in a round about way that he doesn't want to sell, but how else will be find a fool, I mean buyer if he doesn't put his cars out there forsale. Pictures would help his case to get that cash, which is the only payment he'll take. Fishy fishes is what me thinks. Glad I'm not looking for these cars.

I have a feeling the market is going to do what it is going to do. These cars are getting harder to find, as are the parts for them, as each year passes.
I would like to think there is going to be some appreciation to my expense. I don't mind the value of my cars going up! When I see prices that are unrealistic to me. I watch and see what they do on a real market. Far be it for me to tell someone else what their stuff is worth.. I have found myself very surprised at what some of this stuff really does sell for.

I would assume he doesn't really know what they are worth and left it there for someone to make offers to see what the market really was.

There are a-bodies that exceed that number like the 68 "BO" darts and barracuda's.

He has excellent feed- back & the last car he sold was a modest price for a nice looking car-- I think he has his method of selling & it works for him.

I don't have the coin for any of those rides so I'll watch & see.

Besides we all complain about Barrett Jackson-- someone has the $$ for rare cars-- Think Jay Leno-- he buys based on a different viewpoint (cash point) than most working people. Lawrence

BB-Dave,

are you the guy who had/has the white M-Code fastback? if you are, i wish you would have kept in touch because i AM still looking for that car. if you are the guy who i talked to at the beginning of summer who sent me pics of the car you have, you might remember that i told you there was a guy in canada that "mike" (2 darts) here on FABO knew and that i was trying to get in touch with that guy to compare your car with the canadian's. as of this date, neither i nor mike have been able to track this guy down. i'm not just "fishing" (no pun intended) for cars. as to a M-Code fastback, i am still looking for a car.

so how about this, if you are the guy with the white M-Code that i talked to some months ago, please send me a PM here at FABO and tell me what you would take for your car. i know you gave me a price previously but i have no way of knowing if you have changed your mind on the price or what condition the car is in now or how you would like to sell the car - with drivetrain, rolling chassis, etc.

and just to correct your thoughts a bit, i bought a 68 barracuda listed here on FABO off of a guy in florida in june.

yes, dave, i am still looking for an OEM trunk mat for my 68 S that is almost all original. if you know of one, i'll be happy to buy it from you notwithstanding your comments. and, i don't think i've ever labeled my two cars as "rare." the 68 is a numbers matching 340, 4sp formula s with the red plastic fender wheel-well liners, wood wheel, factory tac and AM/FM radio. the 69 is a 383 4sp numbers matching fastback s with original "delux" interior, wood wheel, tac, map light and rear window defogger. i'll leave it up to others to determine the desirability of my cars - although i do not have any intention of selling them.

jim coster, pittsburgh, pa

ps. as to all you guys thinking i am in some way obsessed or personally annoyed with how much someone is asking for their mopars, i am not. i think i explained that my motivation is to do whatever i can to discourage "quick flippers", "gougers" and those who might otherwise prey on younger or naive "potential mopar lovers" who are trying to get their first car.

Well my 2 cents here. You can overprice and talk to a serious buyer or you can underprice and try and create an auction. If a buyer is serious they will feel out the seller and figure it out long before hell freezes over. If the seller is not serious, time spent is time done, hopefully short.

As for the white m in Ontario, I looked at both m's the seller has. Do you have deep pockets? Ok bases to start, but the seller has a chore for what he has, although I respect what he has for the asking price.
At the end of the day, 2 sides have to agree

Not showing pictures on an auction isn't a good way to list it. Guys sounds like he might have something to hide.

His words...............

Three Project Cars all generally complete 1) convertible 383 Formula S (1 of 17 built) 2) Fastback 383 Formula S (One of a few built) 3) Fastback 340 Cuda' All three have clear titles. All three come with build sheets. convertible drive line has been rebuilt. Fastback only had 47,000 miles when found in Northern California. Both big block cars have all their body work complete. All cars have all their hard to find parts. The small block car has not been touched since the 1970's. FB BB car runs, other two are NOT running. Both big block cars are ready for paint, detailing of original reconditioned parts, and assembly. the small block car is a total project with some rust. Sell only as a package Will send pictures only if the interested party and I talk about the cars first.
Thanks to "most" of you who have inquired about the car. I find it really amusing that there are EBAY users that feel compelled to provide their opinions as to how much the car is worth, or not worth, and how crazy I am for formatting my listing the way I did. The H-Code convertible is the holy grail of A-Body Barracudas. This car has been off the map since the early 1970's. Someone will eventually end up with a pretty unique car that no one has seen in 40+ years.
Perhaps I really don't want to sell this car, but the only way to get prepared to part ways with it is to put it out there and make contact with any interested parties who are out there.

plumcrazy... i just sent you a private message about the m-code ...

if you have a minute, could you drop me a reply?
thanks...

I'll give you my opinion it may not be worth much but I have researched and followed second generation a bodies for a long time and own two legit BB a bodies myself. The only single A body car worth $175,000 (it is actually worth more) is a legit documented complete SS hurst hemi dart or barracuda that is correctly restored or survivor. Can three a bodies be worth $175,000 that are not SS cars. I think it is possible. Let me explain car #1 67 68 or 69 4 speed BB a body conv with original drivetrain & complete concourse restoration or very low mileage survivor. Car # 2 68 GSS norm Krause car fully documented concourse resto or low mileage survivor. Car #3 original dealer paperwork proving car is a real barracuda savage GT that is correctly restored or survivor or an equally well done 69 M code car. I believe a selection of cars like this will pull $175,000 or damn close to it. Unfortunately I wouldn't pay anywhere near $175,000 for what that person is trying to sell but perhaps he or she knows something I don't? What does everyone think?

Carl

If you price them too high, looking for "serious" buyers, then you may scare some of them away (if not all).

He's just trying to stroke his ego with his asking price.

the auction is now closed, and it looks like he didn't sell the cars....

It's hard top sell a car for over $10 k cash in today's market, much less $175 k.

When I see people asking that outrageous kind of price for stuff, I just laugh and move on. It won't help to tell them how outrageous their price is. Just let them keep it until they get so desperate to sell, that they go down to a reasonable price, or find another one at a more reasonable price.

-
Back