Do we take our MoPars for granted?

-

66340SEDAN

FABO Member #3649
Reaction score
One thing I have noticed.......is how different areas of the globe appreciate their MoPars.....for example....out in Cali, they can drive their cars year round.....where in Minnesota I have about 5-6 months of time to enjoy them. Yes, I miss them, but also enjoy the "down" time and a break....but a little jealous that some get to enjoy them more than me. BUT...I feel the down time during the winter makes me enjoy them more than others come spring time. If I get the bug, I can always turn on the heat in the shop and work on them, which is also a great time because even though snow is 5ft deep outside, its warm in the MoPar cave and the wrenches can still fly!

Another thing I noticed is how much people "overseas" appreciate our beloved cars......it seems like there is a big passion to have these cars in other countries.....countries like Australia, Norway, Sweden, Germany...etc...it has become very popular. These people spend $$$$ on shipping alone to enjoy these cars in a foreign land....and they seem to really like the "old school" look which we have seem to strayed away here in the States.

Anyway, sorry to ramble but what do you think? :glasses7:

Attachments

• DSC00247.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 483
I'd definitely have to agree with you. I'm one of those Cali people and I'm so busy and caught up with my life I may drive my Dart once every 2-4 weeks now and for only a 10 mile round trip. It runs and drives fine. On that note, I rarely work on my stuff as I figure I could just work on it the next weekend. I actually was planning on cleaning up my 8 3/4 tonight but it was a little cold in the garage tonight, partially do to the rain.

I'd definitely have to agree with you. I'm one of those Cali people and I'm so busy and caught up with my life I may drive my Dart once every 2-4 weeks now and for only a 10 mile round trip. It runs and drives fine. On that note, I rarely work on my stuff as I figure I could just work on it the next weekend. I actually was planning on cleaning up my 8 3/4 tonight but it was a little cold in the garage tonight, partially do to the rain.

Here is my winter vehicle, 2007 Durango but come spring, its back to hard core old skool MoPar........

Attachments

• DSC00177.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 424
Back in the high school days, I used to get teased constantly for being a Mopar guy. There were only a few of us Mopar guys walking the halls taking **** from the GM & Ford guys. We were definately outnumbered. I stood my ground and stuck up for the Mopars. Us Mopar guys also stuck together and teased the other guys back.

Some of them were afraid to race me. I was accused of "changing my engine more often than my oil"... (I did change my engine over a weekend once or twice...) They didn't know what I was running and didn't want to find out the hard way.

My buddy once was complaining that his 70 Roadrunner with a 383 and 3.91 gear burned up 2 Quarts of oil going to Car Craft Nationals in Springfield, IL. A Chevy buddy of ours who drove a 66 Impala 396 car said, "That's nothing, I burned 4 quarts on the way down there..." LOL!

Now they are more accepted and respected.

My high school days were in the 90s but the 73 brown 340 dart sport I drove to school got everyones attention. LOUD with the glasspacks and the worked over 70 340. I could kick serious butt when it came to the burnouts. Wish I still had it. Yup I blew the 340, put a 318 in it and off she went

Being in Cali...(and addicted to late night events...,yes I still will). I learned to take the long & high road. With Chevrolet, it was a fun ride. I did Mopar ,as an learning event. They respond quicker to basic modifications, than a Chevy. I can't afford,to drive all year long.,O.P. Dipsh°t's ,rub ,scratch, and hit my rides. Thinking seriously, rolling in primer.

Being in Cali...(and addicted to late night events...,yes I still will). I learned to take the long & high road. With Chevrolet, it was a fun ride. I did Mopar ,as an learning event. They respond quicker to basic modifications, than a Chevy. I can't afford,to drive all year long.,O.P. Dipsh°t's ,rub ,scratch, and hit my rides. Thinking seriously, rolling in primer.

How about rollin in parcial primer? :glasses7: :burnout:

Attachments

• Picture 659.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 384
How about rollin in parcial primer? :glasses7: :burnout:

:happy6: Lmao.... This rig was semi straight, and fed up. It actually lit this week.Need to set initial & total timing (Magnum 5.9/ E.Q heads) . Lots of work to do.

I couldn't agree more. I wish I had a garage. For me I'm just waiting for warm weather to pull the Dart out of storage. Looking forward to start the next faze for the Dart. Until then I'm enjoying my Jeep with the heated seats!! Love warm ***!

im rolling in primer for now. its been nice here lately but my trusty DD is a ford LOL. its been up and down temperature wise , but I have still managed to get some stuff done. I don't take my stuff for granted , I enjoy every minute , every day

Attachments

• rem50.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 368
Here in the natural state we can enjoy clean no snow or salt some times year around with just a dusting of snow that arrives 2 ta 3 times a year and it's gone in a couple days :coffee2:
But not this year :eek:ops: this has been the worst year for snow, ice and very cold weather with rain then it freezes :banghead: what a year, I did manage to pull her out a couple of times for a bath and to make room in the shop for some fun time 8) :drinkers:
I needed your Durango a few times this years Keith :D You remember Ram Wagon doing the road trip work for Treva and I and we had a couple times we had to walk 25 yards to get in the house because the 2 wheel drive just could only do so much.
I do think I will appreciate the old girl a bit more this season being that I have not drove her past my mail box in ..:sad11:... ah.... Dang!! November. It has been a heck of a different year but one thing is for sure :color: less mosquitoes and tic's and allot of well needed Nitrogen for the ground that snow brings us, I do see what you mean, I will be happy to see the spring and get out on the road again doing some mopar visiting :thumbup: over half of my family all have MoPars and we love hanging out together and watch the chebby and ford folks drive by or pull up to see some old iron :color:

im rolling in primer for now. its been nice here lately but my trusty DD is a ford LOL. its been up and down temperature wise , but I have still managed to get some stuff done. I don't take my stuff for granted , I enjoy every minute , every day

:blob::blob::cheers: Wowza :glasses7: Very nizzzze :glasses7:
I have been mnissing this build 73AbodEE .. a searching I will go, is there a build over at FBBO on this or is it here ? :color:

I don't take mine for granted... I just pulled the 360 out (69 Barracuda) and am in the process of putting a 440 back in. It has been down for a while due to lack of funds for repairs and being generally busy with life.. hopefully another month or two and we'll be rolling again!

:blob::blob::cheers: Wowza :glasses7: Very nizzzze :glasses7:
I have been mnissing this build 73AbodEE .. a searching I will go, is there a build over at FBBO on this or is it here ? :color:

LOL thanks Mike , you are the first to say something nice about it. I posted a couple pics at FBBO , but no love over there. im finding if you don't have a road runner , 69 charger or super bee you are not worthy.

I haven't done a build thread yet , but I will after I get paint on it lol

LOL thanks Mike , you are the first to say something nice about it. I posted a couple pics at FBBO , but no love over there. I haven't done a build thread yet , but I will after I get paint on it lol

I already did a search hear and I came up empty :coffee2: I have had a couple 72 models in my life time and love the way they handle :color: My favorite one
was a teen car I put the bulge hood on and built a 360 for it and then my first born came 33 years ago, I was surprised how well these chargers could corner and stop with factory installed sway bars very nice indeed :thumleft::thumleft:

This is what we do with our cars in winter, upgrade, fix things, sit in heated garage and look at them & drink beer. You don't want to see what it looks like outside, snow & cold :( We really do enjoy the cars up here when it's nice because of the short window to get out and drive them. The flip side is if I could drive it every day I probably wouldn't take time to park car and fix things, just keep pushing it off for that rainy day. As you can tell from looking at snow it's going to be a while yet. Picked this car up last fall and can't wait to get it out cruising this summer!!!

Attachments

• Winter Dart.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 321
  • Snow in front of Dart.jpg
    125.7 KB · Views: 310
Come to think of it......yes, i do take them for granted.
I have a lot of parts cars and project cars that i have amassed over the last 30 years or so. I keep finding more that i resist buying or trading for.
I have enough projects to last me for the rest of my life even if i retired now and did nothing but fix up old Mopars.
I am in the process of trying to sell them off for cheap, but i keep finding strays that need to be taken home and saved. I have saved a lot of A-Bodies from being crushed!
I've thinned the herd over the years, got started in the purging process, started parting out what needs to be parted and the rest junked, but there is so many more to go.
Don't get me wrong, i love them all, and appreciate that i have them.
However it can be overwhelming........
I hope everyone knows where i'm coming from. I'm not bragging at all. On the contrary, i would like almost all of it go to a good home.
The 2 or 3 cars that i end up with, i'm keeping forever.
Taking cars for granted is one thing, but if you love them all for what they are, is that at all bad?

All though highschool I drove a plum crazy 71 318 Sebring in Missoula, MT. We even lived 500 feet above the valley floor . I couldn't afford 4 snow tires but I did get 2 used ones and a couple sets of those "emergency" tire chains. I put the snow tires on the front so I could stop and steer, and the chains on the BFG TA 245/60/15 I had on the back. That car didn't even have a limited slip and I drove it almost every day. Some days I did give in and ride the school bus. My senior year I traded for a 70 Chevelle 300hp 350 with a Muncie 4 speed because everyone gets the 4 speed itch sooner or later. The Plymouth ended up going with my brother's friend to LA Cali. The Chevelle went to Astoria, OR when I joined the Navy in 1988.

One thing I have noticed.......is how different areas of the globe appreciate their MoPars.....for example....out in Cali, they can drive their cars year round..... :glasses7:

yes year around and right now its raining harder then ive ever remembered and im freeking out because my car is halfway in the garage almost driving and the rear half of it is sitting under an oak tree (which might fall down or drop lims because of this rain after the drought) that we cant remove specifically because per cali law it poses a threat to our cars and house. if the tree were a little more ugly we could remove it under the idea that it improves our neighborhood. :wack:

Cali in the winter is SO great.

now the nice part is that even though its raining i can still work on getting it moving.
oh and last week was beautiful but i couldn't appreciate my car on the road because i was appreciating learning how to get a 340 to start right up after a rebuild.

Mine doesn't get as much attention as it should just because I don't live near the garage where it does. But I know I love that car literally more then anything else in my life right now. I had it since I was fifteen and I'm 23 now. It had been with me through some very good times and some very bad times. It had more memories in its front bench seat then I can remember :). Mopars are the only thing I have been truly passionate about in my short 23 years. I know there are a lot more like me so I think most people on this forum don't take their cars for granted. It's MUCH more then a hobby for guys like myself, it's our life. Sorry for sounding like turd there but that's how I feel.

im in nor cal, and my 68 and 69 valiants are daily drivers as long as theres no major problems, but i dont dread driving them like i would newer cars, so i dont take them for granted at all. I just feel lucky my driving time with them isnt limited.:prayer:

This is a great thread Keith! Winter give's us some time in the cave working on our Mopars.

There are times when I sit in the house with this computer on my lap while the Charger or Duster sit 120 feet away in the shop calling me....
Once in awhile I'll snap out of my funk and realize that I am really fortunate to have the cars and tools that I have. I'll get off of my *** and get out there to wrench and clean. There are many people out there barely above the poverty line that would love to have a classic Mopar like ours.

Winter storage, what's that? I drive my Fuster Cluck everyday all day no matter what weather. Of course it ain't exactly Mopar anymore, but fuel injection is nice for gas mileage and starting is easy on those -5 degree days. The body is a little rough so what's another scratch or ding?

Attachments

• 20140205_073630[1].jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 221
I don't take them for granted and work on something Mopar almost every day! It isn't always one of my cars, it seems that I do more work on rusty old parts cars most times!! Just pulled the motor and trans by dropping the K frame and cutting the crossmember support on this 340 Duster parts car, in 5 degree weather!! All for the driver side motor mount!!!

Take them for granted??? Nevah!!! Geof

Attachments

• image.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 218
-
Back