Do You Have a Survival Go-Bag?

-

ramcharger

Dismember
Reaction score
Just had to use mine when I got stuck in Vail. I only used up a couple power bars, some sunflower seeds and water, but I was damn glad I had it.

Here's the contents:

Extensive first aid kit including blood-clot bandages.
Big-*** high quality survival knife (OKC Ranger).
Portable 2 meter ham radio plus spare batteries and antenna adapter.
2 Meter repeater map of Colorado.
Compass (and I know how to use it).
Topo map of Colorado.
Small fishing kit I put together myself.
100' of paracord.
Cooking kit.
Solid fuel stove.
Compact sleeping bag.
SOG Muti-tool.
Water purifier.
Various munchies + MRE's.
Extra sweater, hat, gloves, socks and underwear sealed in zip lock bags.
Eating tools.
Fish fillet knife.
Knife sharpener.
Flashlight.
2 emergency blankets.
Mirror.
Flare pen..
Pencil and paper.
Book on edible plants of the rockies.
Collapsible shovel.
Etc...

I do not have one. How big is the bag you have all this stored inside? Could you share a picture? Its a great idea, I always think about stuff that I might need incase something were to happen. Even if it is a kit or supplies I would keep inside my house, something is better than nothing :glasses7:

I do not have one. How big is the bag you have all this stored inside? Could you share a picture? Its a great idea, I always think about stuff that I might need incase something were to happen. Even if it is a kit or supplies I would keep inside my house, something is better than nothing :glasses7:

I agree, just having this stuff at home for an emergency is a great idea.

It's really not that big and not that heavy. It's amazing what you can pack if done carefully. Let me get a picture of it for ya.

Oh! That kind. I was gonna say a few good known working spare parts in the trunk are a carry along item. Ballast resister, Alt. starter relay.....

During winter months, it's a spare blanket and jacket/sweat shirt. An extra bag of this when I travel with the kids. Getting stuck in sub 30* days is a bad thing.
Not so much food or water. This island is fairly populated, so there is no worry like the need for water in the desert.

I forgot to mention that this particular bag has an interior pocket for a camelbak with the slit up top to run the hose through. I have the camelbak installed and my water purifier has the attachment so I can pump right out of a lake/stream/puddle directly into the camelbak.

Attachments

• IMG_1038.jpg
    176.1 KB · Views: 226
Oh! That kind. I was gonna say a few good known working spare parts in the trunk are a carry along item. Ballast resister, Alt. starter relay.....

During winter months, it's a spare blanket and jacket/sweat shirt. An extra bag of this when I travel with the kids. Getting stuck in sub 30* days is a bad thing.
Not so much food or water. This island is fairly populated, so there is no worry like the need for water in the desert.

Ballast resistor! lol! Yeah, they send me all over the place Rob, I never know where I'm going to be next. The bag always goes with me wether I'm in the company van or in my Jeep.

Still probably wouldn't be a bad idea for the home though Rob, in case of power outage, hurricane, etc.

I Do! I Do!!
Last time I rotated my Batteries I seen I made a mistake and put D's in my emergency kit :eek:ops: I know have the correct C batteries :coffee2:
My son Creed seen me doing this and borrowed my filet knife !! I need to get another, beans and soup was changed out and my tool kit got updated with a
new flint stone, I do not have a map like you are taliking about :eek:ops: I will get me one :glasses7:
Tea bags are good to put in there to Joe, and the book on what can be eaten is a good touch, I have one here at home. I think a magnifying glass would be a good touch :D

That snowed in experience you had on the road keeps us awake on what could happen :coffee2: Glad that is behind you and hope you are getting caught up on some well needed sleep after they called you back so soon again...

I Do! I Do!!
Last time I rotated my Batteries I seen I made a mistake and put D's in my emergency kit :eek:ops: I know have the correct C batteries :coffee2:
My son Creed seen me doing this and borrowed my filet knife !! I need to get another, beans and soup was changed out and my tool kit got updated with a
new flint stone, I do not have a map like you are taliking about :eek:ops: I will get me one :glasses7:
Tea bags are good to put in there to Joe, and the book on what can be eaten is a good touch, I have one here at home. I think a magnifying glass would be a good touch :D

That snowed in experience you had on the road keeps us awake on what could happen :coffee2: Glad that is behind you and hope ypu are getting caught up on some well needed sleep after they called you back so soon again...

lol, Mike! Yeah, I slept on and off until about 6:30 pm, woke up, fed the dogs, feed me, then crashed again until this morning.

I forgot to mention I have freeze dried coffee, multiple lighters in a ziplock, saltwater taffy wrappers (wax paper, great for tinder) and a flint rod. Magnifying glass is a great idea!

BTW, the collapsible shovel is not in the go-bag, but it goes with me anyway. It's a German military surplus one from the early 60's and is super well made and can be used as a hatchet (one edge is sharpened). It has a leather sheath for the shovel end and IIRC, I paid well under 20 bucks for it.

Many people don't think about this, they can be great for getting a fire started before the sun goes down.

Yep, assuming the sun is out. Great for getting those pesky splinters out too. Most tweezers are junk these days so I have a couple of hemostats in the first aid kit for just such an occasion.

We have one in the house and we usually have some nasty storms this time of year and yesterday I replaced the batteries in the flashlights and weather radio. It's not as we'll equipped as yours though but we're not on the road either.

Do you have a mirror? A great way to be spotted from the air at least on a sunny day.

Yep, assuming the sun is out. Great for getting those pesky splinters out too. Most tweezers are junk these days so I have a couple of hemostats in the first aid kit for just such an occasion.

I have carried a common pin, with the bigger ball head on it, in my wallet for 20 plus years (not the same pin, lol) for removing splinters. I just take it out and heat the end and done.

A " bug out bag" is a must...
Maxi pads , tampons, condoms,... Sounds like a wild weekend... But good stuff to have on hand.

We have one in the house and we usually have some nasty storms this time of year and yesterday I replaced the batteries in the flashlights and weather radio. It's not as we'll equipped as yours though but we're not on the road either.

Do you have a mirror? A great way to be spotted from the air at least on a sunny day.

Yep, mirror is listed. I remember last year listening to hiker talk to a home station on the ham radio. The guy on the base mentioned his location and the hiker said "look toward xxxxxx peak.." and base station came back and "yep, I see your mirror flash!" IIRC, they were over 10 miles apart, but in line of sight. Clear sunny day but pretty amazing nevertheless.

I have carried a common pin, with the bigger ball head on it, in my wallet for 20 plus years (not the same pin, lol) for removing splinters. I just take it out and heat the end and done.

Excellent idea and super lightweight.

Home made campin gear... Burners made out of tuna cans with a few feet of corrugated cardboard rolled up inside and wax melted over the top ... burns for hours good heat and can even cook soup on um....

Attachments

• burner.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 221
  • burner2.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 222
Home made campin gear... Burners made out of tuna cans with a few feet of corrugated cardboard rolled up inside and wax melted over the top ... burns for hours good heat and can even cook soup on um....

Another excellent idea! I've heard of it before but never tried it... I imagine it would be good to start a wet wood fire too. Let's keep the ideas flowing..

Bicycle innertube.... Duct tape!!!!
Practicing doin stiches on chicken skin... Ya it works.

Yep. Even in Garrison, on-post, and on rear detachment, I still maintain a 72hr bag (colloquially known as a "bug-out bag").

Extensive first aid kit including blood-clot bandages.
Careful with quick-clot; stuff is actually quite dangerous... It's wonderful if you got a huge gash and need to seal it up quickly and don't mind your new hole literally burning shut, but if the laceration is less serious, you're much better off with gauze and ACE-wrap, or best of all an Israeli bandage. Tourniquet if necessary.
Big-*** high quality survival knife (OKC Ranger).
If you have a multi-tool and a fillet knife, this tool is largely useless... If you need a wood-cutting device, get a pocket chainsaw. Otherwise, I'd ditch the Rambo knife and go with something more practical (like the multi-tool and fillet knife)...
100' of paracord.
YES! Paracord is best stuff ever!! Also, check the internet for duct tape wrapping instructions; if you take a fresh roll and fold the first inch under and repeat, you can turn an 8"x1.5" roll of duct tape into a 4" or 5" by 1.5" square "roll".... I carry about 25' (1"x1.5", about 3/8" thick) on me at all times.... Cuz duct tape is immeasurably useful.
Eating tools.
Titanium spork. /discussion.

Looks to be a pretty well thought-out kit! :)

- CK

I do, keep it in my truck at all times.

camel back setup
food
rope
twine
fire starters (multiple kinds)
clothes
space blankets
Basic Med kit
1 extra 30rd mag for my ar15
2 extra 8rd mags for my 1911
1 extra 16rd mag for my XD 9mm
Camp Knife
Hatchet
Machete
small tarp

It's enough to at least get me home or last me a day or so.
It is also in a basic wal mart hiking back pack

edit -
and a multi tool that has eating utensils, knife, fork, can opener, cork screw.

Nasal spray will slow down or stop the bleeding in small cuts.

Good to know!

Yep. Even in Garrison, on-post, and on rear detachment, I still maintain a 72hr bag (colloquially known as a "bug-out bag").

Careful with quick-clot; stuff is actually quite dangerous... It's wonderful if you got a huge gash and need to seal it up quickly and don't mind your new hole literally burning shut, but if the laceration is less serious, you're much better off with gauze and ACE-wrap, or best of all an Israeli bandage. Tourniquet if necessary.

For major life threating injuries only. It actually is a bandage infused with quick-clot, not the powder stuff

If you have a multi-tool and a fillet knife, this tool is largely useless... If you need a wood-cutting device, get a pocket chainsaw. Otherwise, I'd ditch the Rambo knife and go with something more practical (like the multi-tool and fillet knife)...

Lol, but I love my OKC Ranger. It can split wood, make kindling, be tied on a stick for spear, used for a step wedged in a rock or tree, pound in tent pegs, etc. :)

YES! Paracord is best stuff ever!! Also, check the internet for duct tape wrapping instructions; if you take a fresh roll and fold the first inch under and repeat, you can turn an 8"x1.5" roll of duct tape into a 4" or 5" by 1.5" square "roll".... I carry about 25' (1"x1.5", about 3/8" thick) on me at all times.... Cuz duct tape is immeasurably useful.

Duct tape is very cool stuff, I keep a big roll in the Jeep.:D

Titanium spork. /discussion.

Looks to be a pretty well thought-out kit! :)

- CK

My buddy has a spork in his kit, I'll be getting one soon.. All hail the spork! :prayer: Thanks for the kit kudos, it's evolving and I plan a camp trip to live off it for 3 days.... I'm sure some changes will be made. I also have hand cleaner, alcohol prep pads, no-stick gauze bandages, ACE bandage, neosporin, bandaids, etc. in the first aid kit. I keep a full size axe, hatchet, and a high-lift jack in the Jeep plus extra water in gallon jugs.

I have a much, much larger black BOB with dog food, much more MRE's, more extensive maps, ammo, etc..... That's for a real, real bad emergency where my two rifle drag bag is also necessary. I won't get into detail on that, that's for me to know...

I do, keep it in my truck at all times.

camel back setup
food
rope
twine
fire starters (multiple kinds)
clothes
space blankets
Basic Med kit
1 extra 30rd mag for my ar15
2 extra 8rd mags for my 1911
1 extra 16rd mag for my XD 9mm
Camp Knife
Hatchet
Machete
small tarp

It's enough to at least get me home or last me a day or so.
It is also in a basic wal mart hiking back pack

edit -
and a multi tool that has eating utensils, knife, fork, can opener, cork screw.

:thumblef:

I have a much larger and heavier pack as well.. but it's not really geared for survival as it is geared for an assault :thumleft:

Mine is similar with the addition of extra ammo and super glue (one of the best field dressings I know of)

-
Back