Do you have to swap K members for /6 to SB?

-

sargentrs

Reaction score
Just thinking to myself. If this /6 ever dies (which it probably won't any time soon) do I HAVE to change K members to a small block style or can you drop a small block in and fab/weld motor mounts to the /6 K member?. What are the problems you run in to? I have some nephews that are Mopar fanatics and have access to 318's and 340's that can be had for a reasonable price.

they make swap motor mounts to go from /6 to v8. but i would change to v8 k frame since its an easy swap with motor out and you might want to rebuild front end and change torsion bars anyways. just my 2 cents

No you can get conversion mounts but personally I'd just use a sb 73+ spool mount k frame.

Don't HAVE to swap K-members. Schumacher Creative makes conversion mounts. Personally, I swapped K-members when I put an LA V8 in the Demon. It's up to you.

the conversion mounts work great and are easy to install. beats the crap out of paying out the ying yang for a v8 k frame and then swapping them, but they are hard to come by around here.

-I would/have swapped the Ks.
- Having said that, there may be good reason to go with the Schumachers. Those Ks can sometimes be trouble in that the bolts like to seize in their frame-nuts. Knowing that now,drilling an access hole and presoaking for several days with a penetrating fluid seems to work. That and a big impact gun. Also there is a lot of parts swapping involved which inevitably leads to parts replacement and a realignment.This can lead to several hundreds of dollars.
-Of course doubling your horsepower, leads to lots of other chassis mods too. You know, upgrades to; suspension, steering, brakes ,cooling system, exhaust,running gear, the tranny, the rear end, frame connectors,bigger tires, BIGGER tires, BIGGEST TIRES. The list never seems to end.
-A well set-up, 400hp, A-body, can be a blast. Make that IS a blast.
- Happy modding.

K member and/or motor mounts is the least of the differences to conquer.
Good luck

One thing I found out when the shop putting my car together did it is that there are differences between a 73 and a 72 K-member (my car is a 73 and he had a 72). The lower control arms didn't mount in the same place (had to get 72 arms) and they changed power steering pumps in 73 so he had to get a custom hose or something for my pump to work.

One thing I found out when the shop putting my car together did it is that there are differences between a 73 and a 72 K-member (my car is a 73 and he had a 72). The lower control arms didn't mount in the same place (had to get 72 arms) and they changed power steering pumps in 73 so he had to get a custom hose or something for my pump to work.

Yep, 72 is the last year of the "early stuff", and 73 is the first year of the "newer stuff" as far as suspension and K-frame are concerned....

/6 going to v8 u need the drop down center link for steering. Not sure when using conversion mounts?

/6 going to v8 u need the drop down center link for steering. Not sure when using conversion mounts?

There aren't different center links for a later model. The early As had different center links for inline and v blocks.

I went with the new mounts and old k member. I never had a issue with it but be prepared to start busting your knuckles. I miss the room I had with my slant a little!

-I would/have swapped the Ks.
- Having said that, there may be good reason to go with the Schumachers. Those Ks can sometimes be trouble in that the bolts like to seize in their frame-nuts. Knowing that now,drilling an access hole and presoaking for several days with a penetrating fluid seems to work. That and a big impact gun. Also there is a lot of parts swapping involved which inevitably leads to parts replacement and a realignment.This can lead to several hundreds of dollars.
-Of course doubling your horsepower, leads to lots of other chassis mods too. You know, upgrades to; suspension, steering, brakes ,cooling system, exhaust,running gear, the tranny, the rear end, frame connectors,bigger tires, BIGGER tires, BIGGEST TIRES. The list never seems to end.
-A well set-up, 400hp, A-body, can be a blast. Make that IS a blast.
- Happy modding.

You really need to address all the facets of this. Don't forget the additional weight of the V8 as well as the HP/TQ. I think a Rusty Rat Rod posted some numbers on motor weights somewhere here. If you want to do it right make a plan to address everything, just know that one path won't be cheap.

You really need to address all the facets of this. Don't forget the additional weight of the V8 as well as the HP/TQ. I think a Rusty Rat Rod posted some numbers on motor weights somewhere here. If you want to do it right make a plan to address everything, just know that one path won't be cheap.
Thanks for the tip! If I go that route, I'll be looking for a similar donor for scavenging the other things. Engine swaps are never as easy as they seem are they? #-o

-
Back