Do you paint the back of the engine too?

-

myasylum

Reaction score
Getting ready to paint, but do you paint the back of the engine where the tranny bolts on to the back? If so do you tape the crankshaft or anything else back there??

Thanks!

The area inside the bell housing, to include the flexplate was not painted by the factory. However, it wasn't masked either. A fair bit of overspray is the norm. So long as all of the outward facing surfaces of the block, pan and heads are covered evenly, who cares about what can't be seen.

So then theirs just no need to mask it off, just paint and not worry about over spray?

I plan on pulling mine to paint so I'm gonna paint everything. Unlike the last owner of my car, he painted the valve covers, intake & top of the water pump...somehow he managed to get drops of paint all over the fan belts and hoses and inner fenders...

Do you paint the round piece where the oil filter goes on too? Or should that be covered??

Thanks!

I like to do a nice base coat/clear coat. That way, when my rear main seal leaks I can clean it easier.:snakeman:

no i don't paint back there because on a stand its too hard to get to. make sure that if you do paint back there the surface that meets the trans is paint free. if not there is a possibility of a bad ground. also do not paint where the oil filter seals. just buy a cheap filter and screw it on and paint over it.

Getting ready to paint, but do you paint the back of the engine where the tranny bolts on to the back? If so do you tape the crankshaft or anything else back there??

Thanks!

I would at least use a light coat of paint to keep the block and freeze plugs from getting surface rust, especially if you had the block hot tanked or boiled out.

Do you paint the round piece where the oil filter goes on too? Or should that be covered??

Thanks!

You don't want to paint that, I just install the filter and paint over it, you end up changing it and the oil once you get the cam broke in to get rid of all the assembly lube anyway.

make sure that if you do paint back there the surface that meets the trans is paint free. if not there is a possibility of a bad ground.

This is one of the biggest mistakes guys make, you need to make sure the mounting surface is clean and paint free as well as the threads.

It is easier to just paint it and just wipe it off with some lacquer thinner before it drys and then run a tap in the bolt holes before you bolt it together.

-
Back