Do you push or pull your weld puddles?

-
I was taught to pull my stick puddles and push the mig.

I just asked my son. He welds all the new NY. PA. and NJ. turnpike trucks together every day. He said different applications are different. Pushing the wire into the weld is a stronger weld because it give more penetration and heat. The optimal way for a standard weld is straight on. Drag the weld you lay it on top No penetration., Set the welder on pulse. It will drop dime puddles and give you the waves on its own.

Walk the Dog don't drag him.
"Walk the dog" Haven't heard that term for a long time. Lol

I'm old school, I do most of my welding with Oxyacetylene. Always push into my work. New to MIG...still trying to find the best way. I do TIG...pushing into the work.
Norm

Worked welding for 2 different truck houses that built municipal equipment and a facility that built military armor plating and was never told to change any of my methods.

I am just a hack welder. All I remember being told was to weld uphill if you were on a vertical for more strength

Depends on what I'm doin. I tend to push wire and drag stick most of the time. Depends on position, weld prep,material thickness and sometimes just how I feel at the moment.. TIG is always push. Think about running it the other way. That would be a PITA. All processes wind up being pushed at some point in time. Think vertical up. Most won't be dragging a vert up weld. I like to use a continuous cursive e when running solid wire. Again it kinda depends on how I feel and the task at hand.

I agree TIG is always push and MIG VERTICAL IS push
If ever given the opportunity to see robotic MIG welding it is pulled.
Please tell the auto companies using anything MIG welded robotically to stop using those incorrectly welded items if you are in disbelief that you only push MIG welds. Don't let your dog weld either
:lol:

I always felt it depended on the thickness of the metal and position, but I am self taught old school, but what I have done for 55 years has worked so far. I use this tip seems to help with mig, use 1 size larger tip than the wire. ie .030 wire use a .035 tip. Tip gets screwed less often seems.
My teacher 55 years ago was also self taught also. His method to test the weld, knock the chit out of it with a big hammer and see if it falls off!?????????????????////

One thing to do to improve your stick welding is to keep your rods dry! Humidity will penetrate the rods and make the best welder produce crappy welds. Buy a plastic rod storage holder... Put the rods in an oven and cook them on low for a bit to dry them.

One thing to do to improve your stick welding is to keep your rods dry! Humidity will penetrate the rods and make the best welder produce crappy welds. Buy a plastic rod storage holder... Put the rods in an oven and cook them on low for a bit to dry them.
This! I had a bundle of bare rods in the garage and tried to use one. Didnt work for anything. I read up and put it in the oven for 15 at 350 and it just laid down as smooth as a stick could. Really made me a believer of tupperware and dessicant. I even heated flux core once but I found little to no change. It was **** wire anyway.

I have found that no matter what type of welding I do (oxyacetaline, mig, tig, or stick) whether pushing or pulling, if you can see the weld it will look like crap, but if the weld is under the car somewhere you cant see it- it looks like a pro did it. I am self taught and do push and pull beads and I cant really tell the difference, both will do the job

Agree 100%. There are specific type rod ovens and plastic containers out there with rubber seals I used to use when I was working. Damp rod really sucks. The oven might work for flux core too.
Sorry, kinda getting of the rails with this thread.

It depends on what your welding.

For a go kart frame i would push.

I welded all afternoon making panels and gates 14 ga, sq tube and 1 1/4 x 1/8 angle. The tubing is pretty thin so I pulled the mig if angle to angle I pushed. Pulling worked better on the thin stuff and I got better penetration pushing on the heavier stuff.

Thin to heavier, I use faster wire speed, more heat, I angle more heat toward the heavier steel.

Now 18 Ga car panels is another deal!!!!!

-
Back