do you think its hurt

-

trudysduster

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
working on fixing this GTO that had a small fire in the rear of the engine. Took this ignition module out of the dist. and wanted you guys opinion as to whether it may be hurt or not. It is a pertronix ignitor 2 module. It looks like to me that just the coating burnt off. I don't think the wires touched. all the damage was outside the dist. about 5 " of coating burned off. I didn't know whether I could just solder another section of wire on and try it and see or if I should get a new one. $97. lot of money for such a small box. The wire strands looks good so I don't know. I know nothing about these modules. what do ya think here. Thanks,Bill

Attachments

• DSC08553.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 243
Bill I get the impression you are generally pretty picky. I, being the low buck guy I am, would just splice new wire on and see if it works. you could do the same, if it works now, I doubt it will be "more likely" to fail down the road.

But if this is one of your typical "really nice" restore projects, it might be cheaper in the long run to replace. Yeh. Not much help

yeah, I am a little picky, maybe real picky. I been thinking this over since I posted this. Was thinking about what some said on another post about heat and what it can do to some electrical parts. and I do not want to be doing this over again as this coil is in the very back corner of the engine. More than likely it would probably be ok but I am thinking it would be better to just get another one. I found it a little cheaper, $80 at Summit. part # 1181. I will probably get one. and Yes you were a lot of help. sometimes it only takes one word to make someones mind up. The cheaper in the long run tells me I need to do it now. Don't like do overs. Don't like problems on the road either. And this is another restore projects. It will be painted when we get back home from Cruisin the Coast. Thanks

Don't they have a liquid you can just put on the wire to re-insulate them. Then you can see if the thing works, and if you can't deal with it, it will give you time to look around and save a little money. Gotta be an original of one of those floating around somewhere.

Don't they have a liquid you can just put on the wire to re-insulate them. Then you can see if the thing works, and if you can't deal with it, it will give you time to look around and save a little money. Gotta be an original of one of those floating around somewhere.

Yup. Liquid electrical tape ( I use it often). I had thought about that, coat the wire with it, then put some heat shrink the entire length.

Bruce, always a day late and a dollar short. LOL. I already ordered one from Summit. will be in here Tuesday. I would like to fire this puppy up Tuesday night if possible. I have all the wiring harness rewired and getting ready to put the intake back on. Just got the carb back from being rebuilt and I am ready to go.

Pitch it and forget it.How much is $80 if it takes a dump on your cust./friend
between destinations in an area/hood you definitely don't want to be making an unscheduled
hang-out time?You can't see inside that thing,and even if you could you can't be sure of the
component integrity,....file 13 & done.

I kinda thought the new electronics would be worse than the old used one these days. Go ahead and buy new but I would test that old piece and hang on to it. So far every strange thing I threw away, I regretted having done so.

-
Back