Do your home work.

-

lenweiler

Reaction score
As you may or may not know, I'm building a W5 headed stroker for next year.
Well. I chose the W5's not only for their breathing capability, and obvious flow speeds, but also, supposedly, because I thought they'd be easier/cheaper to go with. Well I guess I didn't learn on the last 2 engines.
As it turns out, my w2 rocker arms won't really/easily swap onto the "5's". So I spent more money on Erson rockers. Intakes are limited. Run the M1, which may or may not have core shift, or go with the Indy, in which case, will take something like 400$ to modify. But they do make power. Can't locate the tunnel ram. Course Mopar discontinued it. I guess I should have gone with the Indy heads.

What I'm trying to say is........... do your research. Don't be fooled......... like me. Perhaps I'll learn on phase 3............ unlikely.

From the guy that ported my heads and a bunch of guys on Moparts I don't think that you will be dissatisfied with those W5's. Sorry that you're having issues.

Those are the heads I would like to put on my next motor when I become rich.

Lee

I don't see what the big deal is. I run W5's and although they aren't a straight bolt on you can modify things yourself to fit them. Nothing wrong with the M1 intake, I'm using one. I think I could also easily modify a standard intake to fit. As far as the Indy intake, if you get the rectangular port intake it should fit except for the bolt holes. Which should be an easy modification.

I don't know why your W2 rockers won't fit either. I used the same Crane Gold Race units on my W2's and my W5's.

Guitar Jones said:
I don't see what the big deal is. I run W5's and although they aren't a straight bolt on you can modify things yourself to fit them. Nothing wrong with the M1 intake, I'm using one. I think I could also easily modify a standard intake to fit. As far as the Indy intake, if you get the rectangular port intake it should fit except for the bolt holes. Which should be an easy modification.

I don't know why your W2 rockers won't fit either. I used the same Crane Gold Race units on my W2's and my W5's.

Sure sounds easy when you say it fast enough.
My W2's are econo's.
Yes the Indy intake will work but you have to mill roughly .150" off the rails. And move the holes. And..........
Ryan J at Shady Dell has never modified a stock intake. Not sure if there's enough to work with. Ryan should know.
He also has a W5 intake with core shift. I'd be lucky enough to get the same if I ordered one.
I've sunk enough money into heads and snowballs before.
I'm just saying it's more than I figured for the extras........... again.
Chrysler just dosen't make anything easy.

lenweiler said:
I'm just saying it's more than I figured for the extras........... again.
Chrysler just dosen't make anything easy.

Yeah, W5s are the best from what I read...if you can get a good set, and if you cant get the parts. I'm glad I havent met any yet tho...lol. You must have followed the post on moparts about MPs ideas on re-issuing them tho, right? With Ryan's help, they could be a usable part..Not like so much of that MP catalog now.

I've got an M1 single plane for stock heads and one for W5's. They look identical except for the bolt hole location. I'll admit though I didn't actually try to fit it.

Building an LA engine with "exotic" (well not really) type heads is never easy. They don't bolt together like the Chevies do. You actually have to build them vs assembling them.

BTW I had econo W2's as well. I had to buy new shafts with offset bolt holes and the billet hold down kit but other than that some minor grinding to the sides of the rockers and a couple shim kits got them lined up and working.

In my opinion it was well worth the time, effort and extra money. You'll probably feel the same after you are done. Good luck.

BTW I used 7/16 pushrods and had to grind clearance for the two center exhaust pushrods. Mock assemble and check everything first before you do the final assembly.

A minor vent;

I would not be so upset with Crysler if they gave you a heads up about the heads needing work or major mods from the get go.
Who remembers the early intakes that needed major rework for the W-5 heads?
Nothing like purchaseing an intake that doesn't fit without a trip to the machine shop for everything.

I like the numbers Ryan J. gets out of these heads. And with a relatively small runner vol. and valve. Just thought this one would be a walk in the park. LOL. Maybe I'll feel better when my kid rips off a low 10. As for the rockers fitting. I suppose if I bought the stands and offset shafts they'd have worked. Just decided that if robbing off the original I'd use everything. The early 5's had the rocker peds. Or so I'm told.

Lenweiler, I found two holley W5 intakes on Racing Junk awhile back when I was looking for one with the 4500 flange for my domintator. They both had 4150 flanges. I dont know what shape they are in but can get you his Ph. number if you are interested. Not sure if all require them but mine has two aluminum plates that go at each end of the intake between the block and intake. Something to think about if buying used one.

Ryan told me about those plates. It's for the W5's that are apparently thicker on the intake side. Makes the intake stand off the block much more. And yes. I would be interested. Still looking for the tunnel ram though. Thanks.

They are spacers for the "china" wall at the ends of the block. You can still get them new I believe from MP. I used silicone sealer on the bottom of them stuck them on then put the heads on. On top I bought a Magnum (either V6 or V8 will do) intake gasket set from Mopar and used the end seals out of that on top of the spacers and below the intake. They are molded rubber sandwiching steel so they hold their shape and won't blow out. Check to see how far your intake will crush them as you may need to use some silicone sealer on both sides of them as well.

Thanks GJones. What induction are you running with your's and what numbers? (As if it's any of my bussiness. Right?) Still would like to see a tunnel ram atop this sucker. More for the wow factor, but the dual four's seem to work too.

A small port M1 single plane intake with a 920 cfm Demon carb and a 2 inch open hole spacer. The car will run 10.50's at 125+ in good air, 10.60's, 10.70's most anywhere any time.

It ran 6.60's at 101 and some change in the 1/8th last weekend at the finals.

It seems to work pretty well. Hopefully with the new lighter car and stroker short block I hope to get it into the 9's so I can slow it down to run 10 flat.

Guitar Jones said:
It seems to work pretty well. Hopefully with the new lighter car and stroker short block I hope to get it into the 9's so I can slow it down to run 10 flat.

That's my intentions with this one, exactly.

-
Back