Doc's 67 Cuda Resto' Thread

-
I want to repaint the dash top as it should be, and a new pad.......but I haven't found a cap available for the 67 yet......Gonna have to bide my time..........at least for now the color matches like it's a carpeted pad, and the cracks are hidden.....

If any of you'se guys have leads on a good 67 pad, let me know........

Hey Pastortom1...

You used lacquer. Is it the lacquer system made by Duplicolor? Man...them doors sure look sweet!

Are you a pro or hobbyist? You do any jobs on the side? I got a '67 notchback cuda that I'd like to have the upper door panels painted like you did on your car but in black. I'm down in Homestead. FL and I'd gladly pay you to do the work on my car. How about it?

On this particular panel job, I used Duplicolor lacquers for ease and lack of messin' with the spray equipment.

I'm a professional with appx. 35 years under my belt, BUT doin' another car is a big "if " right now........ I wouldn't have a problem with it, but my garage is the only place I have to park my 3rd vehicle.....(kinda' complicated....I'm in a "park", and have limited parking by "rule")............

.........IF, now mind ya', IF you prepped the doors FIRST, and IF you removed the rear steel panels FIRST, then I might be able to help ya'...........That would get it in and out in one day (morning to afternoon)........

PM me and let me ponder the notion.........8)

The Shop (B&T Auto- Zephyrhills) removed the 273 today......she's gonna be freshened up just a "hair" over stock and with the good stuff.....new crank too. I'll keep the stock 2BBL setup for now because she's so good on gas......I got a feelin' I'm gonna NEED all I can get in the near future.

Gonna clean up the engine bay and suspension, do a repaint, and plant a brand new stock appearing 273 back in there, hooking it up to the new duals. BUT, I REALLY want to change those manifolds out to something that flows better (within a reasonable price range), but NOT headers...........Any ideas? Any deals out there?

Just received the new pads and armrest bases from PG Classics.......Put them on, and WHAT a difference.......finishing touches......Love 'em....appx. $150. for the pair complete. (the chrome is incredible on these....).

The dash pad was cracked a little too, and a bronze color......Instead of paying the high cost of a new one and then having to refinish it, I opted for a carpeted full cover with a 1/2" chrome trim.......It really balanced the color and "wrapped" the interior. The cost was about 20 bucks compared to nearly 375 for a new pad with refinishing.
Looks good to me...I was very surprised with a couple of Items I bought from PG Classics...I bought a entire new dash panels for my Dart...the three pieces cost 500 bucks but they were perfect...had to wait forever for the factory A/C dash panel...it came from Japan

What I thought would look cool on the dash is to get rid of the pad and just make a all metal dash....like they did before they started padding the dashes....but you would have to be good at metal work. I've seen some of the hot rod guys take dashes out of 50s cars and graft them into their 30s cars and such.
It's amazing how much plastic chrome is in my 65.

Doesn't make sense to keep posting pics of the rebuild in 2 threads....SO, I'm beinging them over to the RESTO thread to keep the running record.

Below are pics of the damaged rod......the overheating was incredible.....oil pump just ran out of poop I guess and she starved for oil. As luck would have it, I started to spin a main too, so I had to get a new crank and a full line bore.

The parts are back for the 273 rebuild, and it's going together now.......every bolt is gettin' a bead blast and paint......new Mopar orange on the block and such.....chrome valve covers for now, BUT just until I find a set of Commando Covers in decent shape......(Got a set?......PM me with the price and details).

All in all she's coming along fine now. I also opted to have them rebuild and stiffen the 904, new balanced driveshaft, and they're installing my 8-3/4 for me in place of the 7-1/4..........good riddance.

More pics to come as it charges along!

Attachments

• 117_1735.jpg
    156.5 KB · Views: 299
  • 117_1780.jpg
    111.7 KB · Views: 303
  • 117_1777.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 292
  • 117_1776.jpg
    106.3 KB · Views: 313
  • 117_1732.jpg
    132.1 KB · Views: 316
  • 117_1730.jpg
    109.3 KB · Views: 303
Well, the Cuda was up on the lift today gettin' stripped of the old drivetrain.......They dropped the 7-1/4 go-kart gears and set in my 8-3/4 3:23........A little modification on the shock plates needed, but the width is nice. They had to wait on some new u-bolts though....the ones they had were way too long for some reason.

The 904 is getting a complete overhaul with HD clutches and a very firm shift from 3000 up......I'm hoping she'll chirp nicely goin' into second.....Love it....(believe it or not, a few years back, after the electronic ignition conversion and tune-up, she chirped mildly with the old stock 904!).

I'm hoping she'll be off the lift tomorrow and prepped for paint in the engine bay. I'll refinish the leafs when everything is fit properly.

Attachments

• 117_1784.jpg
    114.6 KB · Views: 297
  • 117_1785.jpg
    110.4 KB · Views: 275
  • 117_1783.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 269
Looks great Tom!

Love the color combo....I think I've said that before

I'll probably say it again.

I need to redo the inside of my doors............thanks for the pics, now
I know what to mask off.

After quite some time at the shop, and me adding more and more work I wanted them to do (because of the quality I saw, AND the great prices on the labor), the Cuda is finally going back together.........:toothy10:

After they finished the 273, I decided to have them beef up the transmission........then the rearend.......then the yokes........then the exhaust......you get the picture.......Here's a few shots of the latest in progression.......:clock:

The 273 went in smooth with newly ceramic coated manifolds and a fresh paint job.......K-Member and such is all new black paint, and due to the 2.25" duals, the oil filter will now come out from the TOP.....:burnout:

Attachments

• 118_1802.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 222
  • 118_1801.jpg
    108.6 KB · Views: 266
  • 117_1800.jpg
    122.5 KB · Views: 232
After I get this back home in the garage, the detailing starts......Every part under the hood is gonna get a complete resto and refinish.

The 904 is back in, and we did a black base/clear.......Pretty snappy shift kit too that hits pretty hard, but not like a rock.....They finished the 2.25" exhaust for me while they were in there, after the last exhaust shop screwed it up....They welded one of my new mufflers in backward, and did a cob job on the left downpipe........These guys fixed it right. Now it sounds like a Big Block when it idles AND when you romp it.

Attachments

• 118_1841.jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 207
  • 118_1843.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 233
  • 118_1844.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 218
Thanks Steve........I really wanted something 'Mopar', but with a little more "pop" than usual.

When I get the gears shimmed properly tomorrow and get it back to the garage for the detailing job, I'm converting the steering column to 'floor shift' collars, and installing one of my custom Hurst straight line auto-floor Pistol Grips like I did in the Dart Sport. It's one of the best conversions I've ever done as far as overall look and feel..........I LOVED it..........Can't wait to start. :burnout:

Thanks Steve........I really wanted something 'Mopar', but with a little more "pop" than usual.

When I get the gears shimmed properly tomorrow and get it back to the garage for the detailing job, I'm converting the steering column to 'floor shift' collars, and installing one of my custom Hurst straight line auto-floor Pistol Grips like I did in the Dart Sport. It's one of the best conversions I've ever done as far as overall look and feel..........I LOVED it..........Can't wait to start. :burnout:

Awesome!

Make sure you post pics of this as I'm sure alot of people would like to know how to do that mod.

I have a complete photo spread of that conversion being done in an A-Body, BUT I haven't quite mastered the photo-bucket routine yet so I can post it with captions by each photo..........I'll have to practice this week.......

This week, I scored a vintage set of Edelbrock Finned Aluminum Valve Covers for the small block in the Cuda..........

I had thought seriously about 273 Commando covers, but they really don't do much for me anymore.......I wanted something different that was gonna POP when you opened the hood........

Stacey David's "Rat Roaster" is what inspired me to snag the Edelbrocks.....I'll be using chrome turn-in breathers and showing off some polished "Edelbrock" lettering in the center of the cover, and between the fins, I'm doing the same color as the block........That grand "Mopar Orange".......

Whatch'a think? I can't WAIT to see 'em mounted in the Cuda........:toothy10:

Attachments

• hri009jpg0.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 173
...........and HERE THEY ARE........In the Cuda........WHAT a difference!

Attachments

• 119_1942.jpg
    138.8 KB · Views: 172
  • 119_1943.jpg
    111.3 KB · Views: 154
  • 119_1941.jpg
    136.3 KB · Views: 153
Been finishing up the dash resto for the past couple of days........Lots of painting, new real Mahogany veneer (in place of the factory "black"), 2K clearcoat, and some chrome trim. I repainted the lower framework, but as luck would have it, I scratched it during the dash insert......Gotta do her again in one section.

Attachments

• 120_2061.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 142
  • 120_2057.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 141
  • 120_2059_2.jpg
    114.3 KB · Views: 171
  • 120_2058_2.jpg
    114.7 KB · Views: 148
Things sure are coming together Doc :cheers: Congratulations on the finned valve covers :thumrigh:
I am always keeping an eye out for an under dash am/fm 8 track or cassette player and you found a dandy :cheers: Happy birthday today :wav:
Enjoy this day your way and keep up the great work :glasses7:

Thanks Mike!

You keep an eye out for my 67 Cuda dash pad, and I'll keep an eye out for your under dash stereo! :burnout:

-
Back