Dodge 3.9 V6 Oil Galley Plugs

-

JoJo

Reaction score
I'm not sure if I'm posting this in the correct location or not. Please let me know.

I'm in the process of assembling my 3.9 and noticed that the galley plug with the oil hole may be installed on the wrong side to oil the timing chain. There's a machined slot for the oil to run down on the thrust plate, but the plug is on the opposite side. Will I have to get the plugs switched around or is there a way to make it work with removing the plugs?

IMAG0653.jpg

IMAG0652.jpg

I do believe that plug is to be a solid plug. AKA, no hole in it. The chain gets oiled from the tab that is bolted to the outside of that thrust plat in your hand.

watch out of deep you get the plug on the driver side...you can block the oil flow to the front main bearing...

I let the machine shop clean the block and install the plugs. The plug on the driver side is shallow.

On back of the thrust plate, the passenger side has a full circle, the driver side is machined down where it looks like oil flow down. There was a hole in one of the plugs in front, but not sure which side. I will take the plug out with the hole and replace it with a solid plug.

Oil does not need to flow down the back side of the thrust plate to lube the chain. It is done by way of the tab bolted behind to the lower bolt to the left as you look at the front of the engine. The oil drips down the tab onto the chain.

-
Back