Dodge Colt...is it an A BODY???

-
Chry Co. referred to these as "captive imports" in the 70s this was mitsubishis answer to the toyota corrolla during the timeframe these were built.

Perfect for a drag car as its a lightweight little car. Is it a mopar?? Id say no. Is it a hybrid with a mopar heart ??? Unequivocally YES !!!

The chrysler conquest/ mitsubishi starion were really cool for their time as well. Especially the TSI models with the flaired fenderwells. I remember doing new car prep on these back in 1987.

Either way, your colt is a true Hot Rod by definition, because it is custom done using materials at hand, and fabricating what you need or adapting something else for your needs. This is what true hot rodding is all about.

Plus its a really cool car, and i bet a handful on the strip.

Matt

Its just ANOTHER imported "piece of ****!!!..is it an A-body..please don't insult my duster!!!

Its just ANOTHER imported "piece of ****!!!..is it an A-body..please don't insult my duster!!!

Hmmm..... Both "small" "economy" cars sold by ma Mopar. Both cheap when new. Both known for rust issues and lackluster build quality. And I bet the Duster would have a helluva time keeping up with that Colt. While not an A body, me thinks you're response is a "piece of ****!!!"

Hmmm..... Both "small" "economy" cars sold by ma Mopar. Both cheap when new. Both known for rust issues and lackluster build quality. And I bet the Duster would have a helluva time keeping up with that Colt. While not an A body, me thinks you're response is a "piece of ****!!!"

Yup, another classy response from stroked340....he is always spewing crap like this everywhere he goes....

if given the opportunity, I would put together an early 70's Colt R/T as though an american factory would have done. 440 , 4 speed , Dana 60 , big brakes , sway bars , graphics package, fresh air hood , buckets , console , tuff wheel , bright chrome dual exhaust tips, sport mirrors , 15" rallye wheels , spoilers ..... you get the idea....

If I am not mistaken isnt the Colt the same body design as the Plymouth Cricket? I remember years ago learning to drive a stick in a Plymouth Arrow. To me they all kind of look the same.

The Cricket was an English car. Chrysler, at the time, owned The Rootes Group, who made the Cricket, hence the Plymouth badge. Prior to that, Rootes built Sunbeams (remember the Tiger with the Ford 260 and 289?) and Hillmans.

To each his own....GO PATRIOTS!!!

DSC01481.jpg

I think a Dana would fit as good as a Hemi in this chassis....! Don C ran a 340...

clifftt was dead on about the cricket and the rootes group! Here is another bastard mopar from the land of the rising sun. Who remembers the Saporo and the Challenger that mopar was selling about the same times as the Arrow in the mid 70's? And as a footnote to the Colt story. In 92 Hyundai was selling the Scoupe which was a Colt rebadged. I am presently looking for one to make my next Pro Street car

I think a Dana would fit as good as a Hemi in this chassis....! Don C ran a 340...

I would have to respectfully disagree with you on that. The Rod Shop had an altered Colt with a Weslake headed Mopar small block. But Don Carlton always ran Hemi's - in the Motown/Mopar Missile cars, his own Demon/Dart Sport that he match raced and in B/Altered as well as the Colt in B/Altered as well.

For the others, the Colt was the only thing Chrysler had to counter the Vega and Pinto mini-cars. Unfortunately, NHRA outlawed the Colts in Pro Stock. That's why you can find some creative chopping & channeling in the later a-body Pro Stock cars. They always tried to keep any street driven A-bodies away from the race cars in the pits! ;)

Good article - http://www.hotrod.com/cars/featured/mopp-0608-dodge-hemi-colt/

(The article does have a couple of mistakes...the main one is saying that Carlton drove the "wire-car" Duster. It's my understanding that he passed away before the car was ever finished.)

(The article does have a couple of mistakes...the main one is saying that Carlton drove the "wire-car" Duster. It's my understanding that he passed away before the car was ever finished.)

I believe Don Carlton worked and drove both the wire car and yellow small block car

Attachments

• Carlton%20Oldfield%20prep.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 185
  • WIRE%20-%20NC.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 186

I believe Don Carlton worked and drove both the wire car and yellow small block car

Yes, but the wire car was never finished in time to race. (Duster looks unfinished & no hole/scoop on the hood.) I found another article.....

http://www.allpar.com/racing/missile/wire-car.html

One of my drag racing customers runs these little cars. Nice drag car, light and fast!

The Black one had a 485HP 360. The White one has a 595HP 408. Steering link broke on the black one at the stripe and rolled, totaled the car. The engine survived and now lives on the street. The 408 is still running strong.

BTW Colt/Arrow, all the same LOL

Attachments

• Colt Grove Creek small.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 193
  • Bigs Colt 1.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 166
  • Bigs Colt 2.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 172
  • Bigs Colt 3.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 173
Yep. Say what you want but Mopar imported them from Japan and badged them as Mopars. Dodge had the Colt and Plymouth had the Arrow. No different than GM importing the Opel from Germany and then from Japan back in the 70's. Ford started importing the Fiesta in 1976 and none were made here in the US. They are small, light and cheap to buy back in the day. They are cool and would make a neat street car with a 340 under the hood like Keith mentioned. And no the Colts aren't A bodies.
tmm

Attachments

• image1-1.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 170
  • image11.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 179
  • image0-2.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 171
  • 1013802_10152457981209873_1666942697701835635_n.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 200
  • t13.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 260
  • 1551646_704801559551452_1435655163_n.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 169
As a side note, did you guys notice the 366 Hemi sticker on the scoop of Mr. Norm's mini Charger. That Hemi was designed by Charlie Malyuke who raced the Colt and Arrow in the last 3 photos. The Hemi started as a 383 and Charlie modified the block to accept Hemi heads. Here's a photo....

Attachments

• image0-3.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 155
As a side note, did you guys notice the 366 Hemi sticker on the scoop of Mr. Norm's mini Charger. That Hemi was designed by Charlie Malyuke who raced the Colt and Arrow in the last 3 photos. The Hemi started as a 383 and Charlie modified the block to accept Hemi heads. Here's a photo....

There is an old magazine article about that. Mr. Malyuke had his own Pro Stocker with the mini-Hemi and John Hagan was a customer of his as well.

Hey STROKED 340 I DON'T think my COLT is an insult to your DUSTER and I KNOW your Duster doesn't SCARE the **** of people like my COLT does!! I was just asking a question to something I didn't know,Thanks for your input

-
Back