Dodge D50 BBM

-

19Duster72

Reaction score
I have an '84 Dodge D50 w/ an iron headed 440.. runs 6.60s in the eighth. The truck has started to receive a lot of attention since I've owned it. I've started investing some money into with a nice fuel system, new suspension (ladder bars, coil overs, frame rails, etc) and the next area of focus is the exhaust.

Currently, the truck has a set of "homemade" headers that aren't too easy on the eyes. The inner fenders have been cut out and to be realistic, there seems to be an adequate amount of room in there to squeeze a set of mass produced named brand set of headers in there. Like any vehicle, the areas of concern are the steering column/box as well as the master cylinder. If necessary, I could always relocate the master cylinder.

I know the obvious solution is to purchase a set of block-hugger or shorty style headers. However, I do not want to take that route and lose performance. I would rather do it "right" the first time.

I am optimistic that someone out there has seen a Plymouth Arrow or a D50 with a BBM in it!! Does anyone know

A.) if header manufactures (such as Hedman or Hooker) provide dimensions of their design in order to ensure they would fit before purchasing?

B.) if I had to take the route of purchasing shorty style, would/could the flow characteristics that have an effect on performance be altered by optimizing the length of the "down pipe" that would be fabbed by a local exhaust shop that bolted to the header flange?

C.) a header for a specific vehicle that is compatible with my D50?

Even if you can't offer any assistance, thanks for taking the time to read my post.

Thanks

-Josh

Welcome!

I think the block huggers will definitely detract from the performance of a long tube. This is uncharted territory for me as far as application, but besides the ugliness of the homemade's, how do they fit? If it's decent, maybe use them for a pattern to make a nice set? Just thinking out loud.:smile:

the D50 sounds neat!
maybe fenderwell headers for an A-body BB would work...or if you could get them unwelded and cut as needed. Good luck!Bob

You seem to be putting money in the car so why not have a custom set made for it.
On the west Coast they are about $800-1500.

I may end up having a set fabricated specifically for the truck. That would be a last resort though. Similar to the laws of nature, I want to take the path of least resistance. However, $800 dollars doesn't seem too terrible beings that any decent "shelf" header will be in the $500 range. I'll certainly keep the idea in mind. Thanks for your reply.

You seem to be putting money in the car so why not have a custom set made for it.
On the west Coast they are about $800-1500.

Thanks for your reply and compliment Bob! I'll post some pictures of the truck whenever time permits. I've been quite a busy fellow here recently.

I've taken a look into the Hooker Fenderwell Headers already. Those headers look extremely aggressive under the hood and I'm a fan.

I have a buddy with a 440 Duster and he has a set of fenderwells. I've pulled some rough measurements and I think they could be manipulated to fit. I definitely would be interested to see if they can be purchased un-welded. Heck, maybe I'll even get a discount? :D

Thanks for your reply and I'll be sure to post pictures after the brainstorming is completed and the work begins.

Take care.

the D50 sounds neat!
maybe fenderwell headers for an A-body BB would work...or if you could get them unwelded and cut as needed. Good luck!Bob

The fit isn't too bad at all but certainly could be optimized for greater efficiency. The length of the primary tubes are all close.. but the 90's aren't elbows,they are two separate pieces of pipe cut at a 45 degree angle and welded. The diameter of the pipe isn't consistent. Looks to be 2" into 2 1/8", then back into a 2" and into the collector. The welds look like they were done w/ a stick welder and could be much much cleaner.

The thing is.. whoever originally built the headers achieved his goal of building a functional set of headers. I'm sure he could have did better but I'm assuming time was a factor. Time is not a factor for me. I can use these headers as long as I need to. In the meantime, continue to do my homework. The headers can come off the truck with little to no effort. Dropping a header after a Saturday night race and working in the evenings throughout the week and I should be able to build me a nice set.

I think the A body Fenderwell Headers would be my best working platform at the moment.

Thanks for your reply and I will update the post as work progresses.

Welcome!

I think the block huggers will definitely detract from the performance of a long tube. This is uncharted territory for me as far as application, but besides the ugliness of the homemade's, how do they fit? If it's decent, maybe use them for a pattern to make a nice set? Just thinking out loud.:smile:

I think - if performance and upgrades are where it's going - that a set of custom made headers is worth doing. I'm one to devalue my own time but at some point it has to be worth something to not have to cut up and re-coat a new set of shelf headers. Custom made will get you fit, appearance, ease of maintenance, tunability, and performance. Would you drop another $500 beyond the cost of the shelf units to get the rest?

Thanks for your response!! :)

I think we all have a tendency to devalue our own time especially when it's our own "stuff" we're working on. Plus, I enjoy the work and taking ideas in my head and implementing them into a product. That's why I became an M.E.

However, applying logic to the situation, it may be the best route to pursue with custom headers. By the time I've paid to send and receive my "shelf" headers to Nitroplate or equal and pay for coating, I may be knocking on the door, in regards to cost, of a custom set of headers that are ideal for my application.

There are many values in a custom set of headers that have to be factored into a value analysis. You may have just persuaded me :)

I will continue to think this through. If I could buy a set that would just bolt up and fit, this would be a no-brainer. I am so curious if the fenderwells would require any modification but it's hard to be so sure without purchasing a set :(

Thanks for your reply again.

I think - if performance and upgrades are where it's going - that a set of custom made headers is worth doing. I'm one to devalue my own time but at some point it has to be worth something to not have to cut up and re-coat a new set of shelf headers. Custom made will get you fit, appearance, ease of maintenance, tunability, and performance. Would you drop another $500 beyond the cost of the shelf units to get the rest?

Cute! and the truck's cool too.....lol. I'd like to see that engine bay too...

haha!! Thanks. The engine bay isn't too much at the moment but the truck was certainly "rough' when I bought it. I've done well with it though. I've won 10 or so races last year and won the points championship at my local track in Footbrake. I got a good deal on the truck but it's starting to grow on me a bit.

Cute! and the truck's cool too.....lol. I'd like to see that engine bay too...

Cool d50 don't see to many of them any more racing or on the street I would love some more pics and a video would would be pretty sweet too

I do have a few recordings of some footbrake finals at my local track.. but they were recorded on my cell phone so the quality isn't the greatest. I'll upload a vid of the truck to youtube and post a URL so you can check it out! It is a cool little truck. I've driven a lot of vehicles down the track but you just can't beat the view from a tiny truck.

Thanks for the compliments buddy.

Cool d50 don't see to many of them any more racing or on the street I would love some more pics and a video would would be pretty sweet too

The dragstrip needs some work.. it's been going down hill for a while now. They won't sink any money into it. Just another by-product of our Country's recession.

natural bridge is a cool place,..with a dirt oval track too,..right off I-81 bout 3 hours from here!!

Hey 19Duster72,I like your D-50. I have one too, but mine is a pump gas 394 stroked 340.I built my own headers, they are fenderwell. I started out with block huggers on mine,they were too restrictive.
How did you change the front to 5 lug, mine are still 6 lug.
I bet your engine compartment is full....

Attachments

• CIMG0081.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 438
Nice looking Fab work,and welds. I would pop,for the custom made ones.(If the coin,is available).

My D-50 has a pump gas small block,best ET so far is 1.34 60ft.,6.34 @ 108 mph. Her is engine bay shot. Probably not as full as the big block one.

Attachments

• 2013-04-04 17.19.26(1).jpg
    73 KB · Views: 376
-
Back