Dodge Diesel/Cummins Mechanic Advice Needed

-
Update:

Had it towed to the local diesel shop. He was backed up with other vehicles so it sat for a week. All it needed was bled. I bled it by the book, but couldn't get it to start. $80 and I was back on the road. I'm glad it was an easy fix.

I attempted to drive north Thursday night, but unfortunately there was a pretty good fuel leak so I only made it .5 hours north and then turned back for home. I tried to troubleshoot it before turning for home, but I couldn't find the leak. It was dark when I got home so I waited till Friday morning to troubleshoot it. Quickly found #2 line loose at the injector, removed the bolts for the intake so I could move it, tightened the #2 injector line and the intake, and hit the road.

I drove it 3 hours to my aunt's, then 1.5 hours to mom and dad's, loaded a bunch of stuff on my trailer and filled the bed with stuff, and drove it back. Fortunately, no issues.

Thank you everyone for the advice.

Yep. I'm looking forward to getting my parents moved in to their new condo in Louisville so I can put it up for sale and continue looking for a 72-78 3/4 ton 4X4 Power Wagon; preferably with club cab, long bed, and big block. I'm through with computers and diesel.

Yep. I'm looking forward to getting my parents moved in to their new condo in Louisville so I can put it up for sale and continue looking for a 72-78 3/4 ton 4X4 Power Wagon; preferably with club cab, long bed, and big block. I'm through with computers and diesel.

I would bet you won't have a hard time selling it!!!!!

Were you ever running a fuel pressure gauge?

The vp44 needs at least a consistent 10 psi of pressure to live comfortably. There is actually a computer inside of the vp44 that can overheat and die from lack of fuel pressure. The diesel actually keeps the injection pump cool. I always recommend something like a fass or Airdog pump. Been there, done that.

Me and dad have an '01 24v and to bled the fuel system, it is really easy. key on key off for three cycles. Turn key and bump the starter (not starting). You should hear the
lift pump for about twenty seconds then time out. This is showing normal operation of the pump. If the pump only cycles a few seconds, the lift pump is dying or probably already dead.

After the lift pump has timed out, locate the valve on the side of the vp44 (looks like a tire valve). Screw the cap off and push a pin or tiny screwdriver in there till the fuel flows out steadily. I do this after anything involving the fuel system.

I know you said the problem is already fixed but it may help you or someone else down the road. Sorry to hear that you want to get rid of it. We love ours and never would go back to a gas truck again. We love the 20+mpg vs the gas getting 15.

Some people convert to the simpler earlier style mechanical injection pump. If you ever need any help, I will try my best to assist. I'm no expert but I do mess with the Cummins engines quite a bit.

If you do the three cycles for the pcm codes and see a "216", that is the code for injection pump timing failure. That probably means that the vp44 won't live much longer. It isn't always a death code for the vp44 though. Could be a low fuel pressure issue.

Were you ever running a fuel pressure gauge?

The vp44 needs at least a consistent 10 psi of pressure to live comfortably. There is actually a computer inside of the vp44 that can overheat and die from lack of fuel pressure. The diesel actually keeps the injection pump cool. I always recommend something like a fass or Airdog pump. Been there, done that.

Me and dad have an '01 24v and to bled the fuel system, it is really easy. key on key off for three cycles. Turn key and bump the starter (not starting). You should hear the
lift pump for about twenty seconds then time out. This is showing normal operation of the pump. If the pump only cycles a few seconds, the lift pump is dying or probably already dead.

After the lift pump has timed out, locate the valve on the side of the vp44 (looks like a tire valve). Screw the cap off and push a pin or tiny screwdriver in there till the fuel flows out steadily. I do this after anything involving the fuel system.

I know you said the problem is already fixed but it may help you or someone else down the road. Sorry to hear that you want to get rid of it. We love ours and never would go back to a gas truck again. We love the 20+mpg vs the gas getting 15.

Some people convert to the simpler earlier style mechanical injection pump. If you ever need any help, I will try my best to assist. I'm no expert but I do mess with the Cummins engines quite a bit.

If you do the three cycles for the pcm codes and see a "216", that is the code for injection pump timing failure. That probably means that the vp44 won't live much longer. It isn't always a death code for the vp44 though. Could be a low fuel pressure issue.

Wish I could get 19 MPG or better with my 01 HO 6-speed, usually always average 18 MPG!

-
Back