Dodge is on its game...2012 SRT8 Charger

-
[QUOT

Have you seen it? I love the black chrome front bumper and grill..If I had the money, id buy it the moment it came out. 6.4L hemi with 470hp and 470lbs of torque. 1/4 mile in the mid 12's... Some may hate it because its a 4-door, but I think it has the best looks than any other car out there. For what you pay and what you get, american makes are on top right now. To get a BMW with the same performance, features/materials youd have to pay almost double the Chargers price tag.

your gonna dislike me, give me the bmw please.

the 4 door just kills it for me. Sorry!!!!!!

Does it look good? yes it does.

:prayer:

I drove an SRT8 Charger a week ago. Great car and much improved interior over our 07 Charger. I wouldn't worry about 3 years or 30k miles. Ours has 23k I think and runs stronger than ever.

Would love to see Dodge come out with a 2 door retro looking Charger. That would be cool.

I'd be happy with that current car with
2 less doors!!!

Joe is right, it needs to loss weight!

The reality of it is that no cars are light weight anymore. Or small for that matter. They make Minis that look like Caravans these days.

For what you pay and what you get, american makes are on top right now. To get a BMW with the same performance, features/materials youd have to pay almost double the Chargers price tag.

I don't think so. A new BMW M3 starts at 56K. Granted the Charger might beat it in a straight line, but as soon as it has to turn, the BMW will make that thing look stupid. Bmw offers a 7 speed double clutch transmission and the interior doesn't look like it's made out of plastic milk cartons.

Sorry, no new Chrysler products for me. I love the look of the Challenger but it's 1k lbs. too heavy. I bought a new Dakota in '97 and it couldn't hold a rear end or transfer case in it. I traded it in 2001 for a Dodge Ram offroadster that had a tranny problem the dealer could never fix. Fug 'em, I'll stick with my old Jeep, Duster and Ramcharger for a long time to come.

Edit: Just checked the M3 specs, 0-60 in 4.5 and the 1/4 in 12.5........ and that's the 2009 model, a four door sedan.

They are not light but are so flimsy, a 5 mph bump cause big time major damage, 15 mph its undrivable. Half the bumper is just plastic, same with the quarter panels in back, worthless in an accident. If it had drum brakes like the 60's cars, folks would be getting seriously injured at a high rate.

For $50,000 I could buy and customize a early 70's rust free car, I would enjoy it more and feel safer in it. But no warranty and it would stick out on the street. A new car fades in to traffic much better.

I was in my old mans newer car years ago, was passing on the right and hit around 60 mph in a 40 zone, as I cleared traffic and merging over, here comes a local cop the other way, I zoom by and watched him hopelessly trying to make a U turn. Made it to the next major street, right turn only so I had to trun right and make a U turn, as I crossed over the street I just left in the 3rd lane in traffic there sat the police car. I thought I was nailed but he didn't move, my car just faded in, was like wow. Good thing I was 20 miles from home, I stayed out of that town after that.

that thing is hideous looking. the **** they are building is starting to look like jap cars. can't beat them join them i guess...

that abortion looks like a Mitsubishi lancer.

If it wasn't called a Charger we would all love it...... maybe?

Forget 6 speed/ 8 speed. that is dumb, on the strip a 2 speed power guild with a 5,000 stall converter would run circles around those muti speed trans.

I seen those double clutch autos--they stink, at moving speeds, around 35--40, they lack the raw kick of a high stall converter.

BMW does have a nice V10 with 500 plus HP, sounds awesome screaming out--if only more BMW's would have those engines, life could be so much better, lol

The looks aren't bad, not great. A bit of improvement over the earlier ones from the side, a bit worse from the front.

But Dodge, put that pig on a diet. The Charger and Challenger get their asses handed to them by the Mustang with way less HP. The Mustang runs 12.5 quarter mile times with 60 less HP. 4300 LBS is just disgusting, this weight slows the car down in every way, slower acceleration, poorer handling, longer stopping distances.

I think the Challenger is one of the best looking cars around, but both the SS Camaro and Mustang will spank them. :cry:

I love the new hemi, I love how they call the 6.4L Hemi a 392, they ought to call the 5.7 (345 cubic inches I know) a 340. I love it so much I'm putting a 6.1L Hemi into a Dart, and at 3300 LBS it should spank the snot out of even a 392 Challenger.

Regards,

Joe Dokes

I'm not real fond on the front end or sides on the new Chargers. I do like the rear end and I love the fact that they stuck the 6.4L in it this year.. My driver is an 08' R/T Charger and I will say it is a really nice car to drive, great on long trips, will still put a smile on your face when you want it - and get 25mpg on the highway. Never checked mileage just running around town but it is still reall good for what the car is. You want a family man's car that gets decent mileage, drives great and still can put a smile on your face the Chargers are a great product. That said, my second childhood is calling out really loud these days and I "need" to trade my R/T for a new Challenger. Only the SRT8 will do and only with the standard Tranny. I "need" one really bad.....
Yes the GT500 has more hp at 550 and the new Z-28 is also supposed to be 550 hp - but both use a supercharger to get it. The Chebby I will never buy.... the Mustang I have really toyed with. Both are a lot lighter than the Chally! There's just something about 470 naturally asperated hp vs a blower generated 550 that attracts me. Take a new SRT8 and put a blower on it and you can easily get 800 hp if you want ......... Plus you do have a real, useable rear seat to haul the grand kids around in :)

Given the price tag of the Charger, I'd expect Chrysler to at least have a 2 door offering for those of us old enough to remember what a real Charger embodied...

Truth is, other than the Challenger, Chrysler doesn't make a vehicle that interests me any more...

They're also missing out on huge after market sales potential by NOT exploiting Mopars heritage. Cars like this, mock it.

I at least give GM kudos for offering that CTS in a 2 door version - and it's got looks and the performance to back it up. Again, when a car costs over $40K, limiting customer choices inhibit sales, and "performance" 4 door cars are for nerds and the fart pipe crowd...

Just my opinion.

Southernman

So much whining and crying going on around here! I think we should all be thankful for what we have been given! I can't imagine if Fabo existed back in the mid 80's, imagine the crying about chryslers offerings then! Makes my head hurt to even think about it! LMAO!!!

So much whining and crying going on around here! I think we should all be thankful for what we have been given! I can't imagine if Fabo existed back in the mid 80's, imagine the crying about chryslers offerings then! Makes my head hurt to even think about it! LMAO!!!
x2

Sorry guys, but voicing your opinion isn't whining. When we say, "be thankful for what we've got", that's a defeatist mentality that says, "we can't influence it anyway, so let's just roll over and hand Ma Mopar $50K" and be...glad they were gracious enough to...even build the thing - for us no less !

Consumer opinions matter, and as a consumer, if Mopar doesn't want to build the kind of cars we desire, I'm more thankful that we have options - and more than happy to drive a alternative or foreign brand that puts my satisfaction at the forefront of the deal. After all, a car is usually the second largest investment any of us make - next to our homes.

Just sayin'...

Southernman

They are the possibly the best cop car ever made and that's about all they are good for.

Sorry to say this but "we" are a minority. Like I said, be thanful we have a 392 cubic inch hemi available. Soon enough all of these high horsepower offerings will be long gone, just like in the mid seventies. Enjoy what you have, or go talk to obama motors and maybe he can take "care" of your needs.

I love how most people on here have nothing nice to say about it and assume things about the car when they dont even look into the facts. Dodge put some work into this car. For the ones worried about stopping? It stops from 60 in 112-114 feet. That puts Lighter cars to shame that take several feet longer. Worried about handling? It runs the slalom at 67.8mph. Many car reviews, even outside countries claim they do not feel like they are driving a 4,300lb car. Even imported cars are pushing 4,000 pounds, people want a roomy, luxurious car with many features, it adds weight. As for how it looks, You can only do so much with the standard muscle car style look.. There not going to make a 2 door charger, plain and simple. I see more 4 door chargers on the street than New Mustangs, Camaros or Challengers. Making it a 4 door was a smart move, it opens a market that those 3 cars do not have. It doesnt matter how many doors you have anymore or if it looks sporty or not. Hell there are Minivans that can hit 60 in the 6 second range..The new V6 Toyota Camry can do the 1/4 mile in 14.4-14.6. I dont like toyota, but it wont be long until its in the 13's at the rate how fast things are getting. Whats the boarder line of a sports car and a family car anymore?

-
Back