Dodge is on its game...2012 SRT8 Charger

-
I love how most people on here have nothing nice to say about it and assume things about the car when they dont even look into the facts. Dodge put some work into this car. For the ones worried about stopping? It stops from 60 in 112-114 feet. That puts Lighter cars to shame that take several feet longer. Worried about handling? It runs the slalom at 67.8mph. Many car reviews, even outside countries claim they do not feel like they are driving a 4,300lb car. Even imported cars are pushing 4,000 pounds, people want a roomy, luxurious car with many features, it adds weight. As for how it looks, You can only do so much with the standard muscle car style look.. There not going to make a 2 door charger, plain and simple. I see more 4 door chargers on the street than New Mustangs, Camaros or Challengers. Making it a 4 door was a smart move, it opens a market that those 3 cars do not have. It doesnt matter how many doors you have anymore or if it looks sporty or not. Hell there are Minivans that can hit 60 in the 6 second range..The new V6 Toyota Camry can do the 1/4 mile in 14.4-14.6. I dont like toyota, but it wont be long until its in the 13's at the rate how fast things are getting. Whats the boarder line of a sports car and a family car anymore?
Amen there brother. YES it's a four door. Get over it!

And when I say "we" I mean those of us that are mopar enthusiasts. They don't give a damn about what we think, they want volume. They cater this car to young middle class men with a family or starting a family. They don't give two ***** about those faithful followers. They want to build what will sell, that's it. It's kinda sad, but so true.

I only wish they would do this like the old four door darts and such, by offering both four door and two door.. I do not understand why they don't do this.. Then no one could complain..

The reality of it is that no cars are light weight anymore. Or small for that matter. They make Minis that look like Caravans these days.

The 2012 Boss 302 has 440HP and weights 3600. Not a light weight, but a hell of a lot lighter... Only two doors too... as it should be and 600 lbs less than an SRT 8 Challenger.

Amen there brother. YES it's a four door. Get over it!

And when I say "we" I mean those of us that are mopar enthusiasts. They don't give a damn about what we think, they want volume. They cater this car to young middle class men with a family or starting a family. They don't give two ***** about those faithful followers. They want to build what will sell, that's it. It's kinda sad, but so true.

Im glad someone here understands. Im always going to love Dodge new and old. But Im also not against nice 4-door cars. I dont see the charger as a 4-door, Its not even the first thing I notice on the car.

yeah and what is it going to REALLY run after its been on the road for 3 years and has 30,000 miles on it. Seems to me these newer cars slow way down as they age.

I agree, 4,300 lbs is pushing it, you need to slow down and stop also. Why can Mopar get cars with a V8's like the Corvette @ 3,200 lbs

Its called the Dodge Viper. And when it comes back its said to be lighter than the last one made. And possibly have engine choices like a Hemi and the V10.

I only wish they would do this like the old four door darts and such, by offering both four door and two door.. I do not understand why they don't do this.. Then no one could complain..

Trust me, people would still complain.

Trust me, people would still complain.

At least they have the Challenger in the lineup. When I was looking for a new car in '04 Mopar had nothing I was remotely interested in. So I ended up with an '04 Mach 1. I've thought long and hard about trading for a Challenger, but the size of the Challenger really turns me off. The Mach 1 runs mid 13s with only 310HP due to it weight (3380), nearly 1000 lbs less than the Challenger.

until they offer it in a

2 door
fastback
and
convertible

its still a grandma car

when the baby bird came out in 55-57 it was a two door hard/soft top...

they sold a good amount of them...

in 58 they changed it to a big four door car and the amount sold like quadrupled...

4 doors don't bother me.
It's the weight and technology for the sake of technology.... and the high price tag to boot.
Probably will be a great cop car.
Also, it would be a basta*d on gas.

Does anyone else think 45-50k too much for a car? In 1970 I purchased a Duster 340 for $3100 with disc brakes and buckets ,consol and 3:91. This market was aimed at young guys with limited money. Todays market is aimed at the highend earners for sure few family guys I know are in this market. Sorry auto companys need to get cars into 25-30k market and sorry I don't like the looks of it even if I could afford it. Dollar for dollar mustang is doing the job. For 30k you can get 5.0 mustang fastback brimbo brakes upgraded wheels and tires cloth interior,air,posi w/gears. This is todays roadrunner and 340 duster. Lots cheaper hotrod parts than for charger to boot. Just my $.02

Haha I guess you guys are right, there would still be complaints.. I don't like the "new" Chargers so I just don't look, think or talk about them.

Does anyone else think 45-50k too much for a car?

Absolutely. They count on the "average guy" taking out a loan for 5 to 7 years to pay off their car... And of course people who lease, and pay and pay, but never own anything. To many people it's all about the monthly payments and not about what the vehicle actually costs.

Sure there are some who still buy their cars with cash, but they are few and far between.

4 doors don't bother me.
It's the weight and technology for the sake of technology.... and the high price tag to boot.
Probably will be a great cop car.
Also, it would be a basta*d on gas.

I dont know many people who buy the Charger for fuel economy, but The SRT8 6.4L Version is quoted to get 15 City 24 Highway. The 2011 R/T gets 16 city 25 highway. And the V6 version recieves 18 city 27 highway. Very respectable numbers from both 5.7L and 6.4L hemi in a 4,300 pound car, I wouldnt call that a pig on gas at all. And unfortunately cars will continue to gain weight for technology. Its what people want despite what people say on here. So as long as they make the now heavier cars handle/stop and make them quick, thats okay with me.

Does anyone else think 45-50k too much for a car? In 1970 I purchased a Duster 340 for $3100 with disc brakes and buckets ,consol and 3:91. This market was aimed at young guys with limited money. Todays market is aimed at the highend earners for sure few family guys I know are in this market. Sorry auto companys need to get cars into 25-30k market and sorry I don't like the looks of it even if I could afford it. Dollar for dollar mustang is doing the job. For 30k you can get 5.0 mustang fastback brimbo brakes upgraded wheels and tires cloth interior,air,posi w/gears. This is todays roadrunner and 340 duster. Lots cheaper hotrod parts than for charger to boot. Just my $.02

The R/T Charger Starts at 30,000.
The R/T Challenger is starts at 29,000.
And both in the Charger and Challenger offer more than the Mustang has to offer luxury wise. They both have a great set of brakes like the mustang and posi is just about standard now-a-days..Both are cloth interior and both have upgraded wheels just like the mustang.
It is pricey yes, but in the SRT8 compared to a 340 duster back in the day, you just get so much more. What were the options on the 340 duster? A/C, Heater, Disk brakes, bucket seats, optional FM radio? The charger has options like Heated/cooled cup holders, 8.4" touch screen radio, voice command, Heated/cooled seats, Dual zone climate control, Power seats, power windows, Blind spot monitoring...there are so many things to list. This is what sells. It will probably sell better than the 5.0 for 2011-2012.

And both in the Charger and Challenger offer more than the Mustang has to offer luxury wise.

Which is why they are pigs... The Mustang is a get down to business ride and MUCH less of a sofa on wheels. R/Ts can't touch the GTs in the 1/4 mile.

I won't say its ugly, but this is what came to mind the second I saw that grill....

hr8pic2.jpg

As far as the two door/four door thing goes. Meh. The Charger got turned into a luxo-sled in the seventies, and had big enough doors that it should have been called a four door anyway.

I need a 4 door sedan for my daily and the Chally costs too much for a sunny day driver. If I was in the market for a new sedan with some oomph, the Charger would be on my list.

Lol,not to mention the very ugly 4 banger Charger of the 80's... There have been worse Chargers for sure. I could do without the fishmouth front end,but at least they blacked out that fugly cross hair grill! The rest of the car is quite nice,especially the interior! One thing for sure,Fiat has led Chrysler down the road to a beautifull interior with a european flare. I expect there will be more positive changes coming.

when the baby bird came out in 55-57 it was a two door hard/soft top...

they sold a good amount of them...

in 58 they changed it to a big four door car and the amount sold like quadrupled...

Correction; in 58 they changed it to a bigger 2dr 4 seater. T-Birds didn't get 4 doors til 64 or 65, & those were suicide doors, no less.

Fugly as hell IMO and who would want a Fiat Charger anyways since all the cops have them now?

Now the 2012 'Cuda looks OK but back to the bailout and Fiat problem again.

The R/T Charger Starts at 30,000.
The R/T Challenger is starts at 29,000.
And both in the Charger and Challenger offer more than the Mustang has to offer luxury wise. They both have a great set of brakes like the mustang and posi is just about standard now-a-days..Both are cloth interior and both have upgraded wheels just like the mustang.
It is pricey yes, but in the SRT8 compared to a 340 duster back in the day, you just get so much more. What were the options on the 340 duster? A/C, Heater, Disk brakes, bucket seats, optional FM radio? The charger has options like Heated/cooled cup holders, 8.4" touch screen radio, voice command, Heated/cooled seats, Dual zone climate control, Power seats, power windows, Blind spot monitoring...there are so many things to list. This is what sells. It will probably sell better than the 5.0 for 2011-2012.

That is a lot of stuff to break too. Also adds weight and unnecessary consumption of elec power. Wanna try to work on that car? Not me.

"Look out for lack of fuel economy if you daily drive this in a urban setting, like a big city. It will not do any better than the current large Chrysler cars which is in the 12-15 MPG range, when driven under 50 MPH...they do better in overdrive on the highway, so if all you do is 55+ MPH in your commuting, you'll be upper teens/low 20s MPG overall when you fill up (ignore the phoney trip computer readout - divide the miles by the gallons you pump into the tank when you fill it."

Don't be too sure of yourself here,rumor has it that even the SRT8 models will be coming with the MDS system also !!:blob::blob::blob:

The MDS system certainly helps fuel economy by de-activating cylinders, abd that is a good thing, but what is missed is that excessive weight, more than 2 tons, has a more negative effect, that is not offset in any large way by MDS.

Fuel economy is most greatly affected by weight, rolling resistance, gearing, and the like.

My best friends 2011 SRT392 Challenger is lucky to get 15 MPG on a tank of gas in the city. On the highway, yes- the car does better - but my only point was - if you live in or do a lot of urban stop and go driving, expect the numbers that were posted, based on what my friend's 2011 SRT392 Challenger returns.

At $3.50-4.00 / GALLON, gas mileage does factor into the equation, if you drive a car like the Charger SRT8 everyday.

Which is why they are pigs... The Mustang is a get down to business ride and MUCH less of a sofa on wheels. R/Ts can't touch the GTs in the 1/4 mile.

When hasnt Dodge been a sofa on wheels? Dodge always put more luxury into their cars. Which is why I like them. I dont care if I can beat a GT mustang, Its still fast. There is always a car faster than you on the road, dont make such a big deal of it.

-
Back